Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: OT: suspended from my job

You gotta watch who you're friends with at work. I hate being associated through something especially when you don't wanna be...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

The words "wrongful dismissal" come to mind. I thankfully haven't been through something like this, and I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd be shocked if hearsay was appropriate grounds to fire someone. I hope you find someone who can help you defend yourself since even if you don't particularly love the job, having a tarnished resume by being fired is a major punishment considering they can't possibly have proof you conspired with anyone since you didn't.

Good luck man.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

I would start looking for other means of employment immediately as a plan B. Although I don't believe they have the right to fire you if you claim you had absolutely nothing to do with the theft, let alone suspend you. If they try and fire you threaten legal action even if you aren't serious about it.. they will change their tone pretty quick. Nobody likes a law suit :)
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
baller03
Kids at the park dunk on me

baller03 has an OK reputation so far

you work in a call centre dont you ?
baller03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller03
you work in a call centre dont you ?
No. I actually worked in a electronics recycling center. My position there was as one of the floor leads. And obviously in an electronics recycling center there's tons of valuables in there. It's not just crap like in a normal recycling center. They get Ipods, Ipads, Kindles, Xbox360's, macbooks, etc.... tons of stuff. And as such, in-house stealing is one of their biggest issues. So those guys who were fired both took an ipod touch 4g that they found in their section, and they were caught on camera doing so. I on the other hand wasn't even with them when they took nor did i know of their intention to take it. They have absolutely no proof of my involvement but I found out that they fired me on the basis of suspicion and that some people claimed I was involved. So they have absolutely nothing on me.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Totally BS. But.....you have to pick your battles. Have to weigh the costs vs the reward obviously.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far

So they fired you based on rumors? I'm 100% sure thats unlawful.

Gonna agree with the general consensus here, get a lawyer (after you find another job). As long as you haven't done anything wrong you could probably get compensation for the time off.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
No. I actually worked in a electronics recycling center. My position there was as one of the floor leads. And obviously in an electronics recycling center there's tons of valuables in there. It's not just crap like in a normal recycling center. They get Ipods, Ipads, Kindles, Xbox360's, macbooks, etc.... tons of stuff. And as such, in-house stealing is one of their biggest issues. So those guys who were fired both took an ipod touch 4g that they found in their section, and they were caught on camera doing so. I on the other hand wasn't even with them when they took nor did i know of their intention to take it. They have absolutely no proof of my involvement but I found out that they fired me on the basis of suspicion and that some people claimed I was involved. So they have absolutely nothing on me.

As I said, someone definitely said something. I don't think they fired you purely on suspicion. Someone dropped your name...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #24
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
As I said, someone definitely said something. I don't think they fired you purely on suspicion. Someone dropped your name...
yes, that's definite now. because my hiring manager confirmed that to me. He didn't say who or what they said but he did say that multiple people said that I was involved. This situation is so crazy to me because it appears that I was fired on a setup.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #25
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

that is utter bs. so people said your name and you got fired based on suspicion? If that is the case, this is a major lawsuit that is going to get you a lot of reward. They cannot fire you based on suspicision and without proof. If I was you I would consult a lawyer and if the lawyer thinks this is a good case, he/she would take the case.

I seriously suggest you get a lawyer and protect yourself and your name. This is wrongful dismissal lawsuit that can get you a good hefty sum in return.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I would definitely at least check out your legal options. See what a lawyer says, might be something worth pursuing.

Off topic question, when you recycle those types of products, what happens to them afterwords? I should probably know this, but don't.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #27
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I would definitely at least check out your legal options. See what a lawyer says, might be something worth pursuing.

Off topic question, when you recycle those types of products, what happens to them afterwords? I should probably know this, but don't.
Basically when you recycle them, the products are evaluated to see which can be discarded and which can be fixed and re-sold. For example for laptops, they have a book which tells you how new they have to be to be kept. If the particular laptop is on that list, it is kept and set aside and then they have guys that test it and/or fix it and then put it back on the market as a refurbished item. Then for other certain products, they get dismantled and they sell the commodities like copper, glass, batteries etc... And the rest, is "e-waste" where they throw it in this thing they call the pit and have it basically crushed down by the shredder and they sell that metal. Billions of dollars there.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #28
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Reward is based on losses though. Although you live in the US right? so I cant be certain. In Canada, you could probably 'win' a severance but they factor things like age in. Younger you are, more years left to work someplace else. You'd find a Laywer who will take the job as part of their role is a sales person. That doesn't mean it's the best decision. Might be, do your due diligence of course.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
bokes15
Playoffs!

Well, as of today I found a new job. Pays almost exactly the same and is 5 mins away from my house compared to the 30 mins my other job was. I don't know if it's still even worth it to pursue legal options for that. Appreciate all the advise in this thread.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Well, as of today I found a new job. Pays almost exactly the same and is 5 mins away from my house compared to the 30 mins my other job was. I don't know if it's still even worth it to pursue legal options for that. Appreciate all the advise in this thread.

Think you should. No one should be fired without a good reason. Besides companies that operate in that matter deserve being taken to court and losing.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: