Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #61
Undisputed
Do. Your. Job.

Undisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableUndisputed is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Boxing thread: Is Pacquiao/Mayweather really not going to happen?

I want Cotto/Mayweather II. Cotto has a great chance with some better conditioning and experience against him. Mayweather will not fight Pacquiao. It's sad, but we just have to move on.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #62
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
It actually does count for something. Like everything else, it's subject to context and it is only part of an evaluation but it does matter.

Mannys legacy is a combination of beating berrera twice, morales twice(though losing once) and jmm twice(though he arguably lost all 3 fights) and moving up and beating shot or weight drained fighters other than clottey(though I think the weight drained excuse is overused for cotto IMO)

Floyds legacy is that he has really only had one fight you could even begin to argue he lost while also fighting very high level competition. He's beaten Mosley, cotto, jmm, corrales, gatti, Jose Luis Castillo, zab Judah and really only been in any real danger of losing once(the first Castillo fight)

Contrast that with PAC who has been in real danger of losing 6 fights and it does matter. Floyd has no one who matches morales or berrera but other than that his competition is actually better than pacs competition and its just really hard to see an argument for PAC as better.

For the record id take Roy jones jr over either and he's neither undefeated nor did he face as good competition as the others. He's the most talented of my lifetime though

floyd's legacy to the general public, and even many boxing fans, is he ducked to keep his undefeated record. how long have people been talking about Floyd vs Pac? who is the most vocal making all of the excuses? how many celebrities or boxing afficionado's have called Floyd out? ...which carries more weight than some avg fan, especially when you put all of that sentiment together it is how a legacy is built and remembered. sure there will be floyd-tards here and there backing him 20 years from now saying the same stuff as in this thread, but there will be far more remembering him for being a loudmouth ducker. you'd have to be blind and deaf not to see mass public sentiment against floyd.

noc's about mosley, even then its dumb how people try to cite that when the bottom line is fight fans have to push Floyd into fighthing these big matchups. there wouldn't even be the necessity for any controversy if he just did it, instead of danced around it constantly. its just such a dumb point for people to cite when he's supposed to fight them, not be congratulated because he finally did it after everyone gave him shit for it

either way i very much doubt history is going to remember Floyd just as much at fault as Pac if they never fight, or if its way later when its past its prime. its way too easy to say Floyd is scared and protecting his undefeated record and theres a lot of his yappin to help make that case on record.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #63
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Go read Sergio martinez's comments on the subject and tell me that everyone thinks its Floyd ducking. I didn't realize just how little manny had done at ww till I started looking yesterday. The only guys he's fought at the full ww limit are de la hoya(shot) clottey and margarito(shot) that's it. That's the whole list. The myth of manny the giant killer is just that, a carefully constructed myth.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #64
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMmX...eature=related
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #65
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

So why does Pacquiao need steroids to beat shot fighters (Hatton,Cotto,margarito), old guys (Oscar, Shane) and A nobody like Clottey? That's what I don't get. People want to discredit every single one of Manny's fights, but at the same time, he needs steroids to beat these old, shot, and weight drained fighters? Which is it?
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #66
donald_trump
im a superhero

donald_trump is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
So why does Pacquiao need steroids to beat shot fighters (Hatton,Cotto,margarito), old guys (Oscar, Shane) and A nobody like Clottey? That's what I don't get. People want to discredit every single one of Manny's fights, but at the same time, he needs steroids to beat these old, shot, and weight drained fighters? Which is it?

your two arguments dont go hand in hand. it can be both.
donald_trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #67
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Boxing is still being regulated like an amateur sport it's essentially the same as how we used to arrange a fight after school in some alley, difference is they can bring up excuses without losing rep, a luxury we did not have
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #68
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
I want Cotto/Mayweather II. Cotto has a great chance with some better conditioning and experience against him. Mayweather will not fight Pacquiao. It's sad, but we just have to move on.
The first fight was competitive enough to warrant a rematch, to my surprise. Reports surfaced afterward that Mayweather had problems with his hands and was ill. Not sure if there is any truth to it, but that was reported by Dan Rafael.

Hand issues, cold don't stop Floyd

I guess we could theoretically find out if there is any truth to this and, if so, whether or not it had an impact on the action in the ring if there were a rematch.

As for Pac-Floyd... As long as Arum is involved, it has no chance of happening. I think there is an outside chance that Manny drops Top Rank, though.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #69
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Yearning
40 million straight... that is good enough. That would be the most Pac has made in his entire lifetime.

what a dumb comment..
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #70
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald_trump
yet manny fought him after and there was no such backlash.

there is always excuses against floyd. but none for manny.

everyone knows mosely was washed up for both of those fights
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #71
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
your two arguments dont go hand in hand. it can be both.
Really? Please explain. Because accusing someone of steroids, means they have had super natural/unnatural performances. I just don't see anything that was so extraordinary against the guys he beat. Let's break it down, I'll start when he made his jump to lightweight (let me preface by saying many flomos have said these as well):

David Diaz - enough said
Oscar DLH - 100yrs old, weight drained
Hatton - Overrated, Floyd already KO him. Coke head
Cotto - Damaged fighter
Clottey - bum
Margarito - nothing without plaster
Mosley - Grandpa
Marquez - another questionable win

Ok, so what steroid performances do we have here ? All that roid talk started up around 2009, which is around before or after Cotto fight. So he must have juiced for the likes of the dangerous David Diaz, Ricky Hatton and De La Hoya and many others before. I mean, he couldn't even beat Marquez cleanly. Is he even juicing right?!?

They say he keeps knocking out people bigger than him. But the only guy from that list where the fight ended in a KO was the Hatton fight. His KO ratio was much higher before he moved up in weight. So Manny is apparently using steroids to beat these old, weight drained, and shot fighters that were hand picked/cherry picked to make Manny look good? Riiiiight
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #72
Rooster
National High School Star

Rooster has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
yes it does when you've faced the competition he has. he's always ducking someone according to the public, then you look through his resume and he's fought all the best fighters at the time at their best weight.

Floyd did beat some good fighters but he tend to avoid fighters that public wants to see him fight. He said it best when he said he will die in the ring but when ask about Pacquiao, he said he fears his health. He's very meticulous on choosing his opponent. There was time when fight fans were screaming for him to fight Cotto and Margarito when they were at their prime but chose to fight Baldomir and now it's the mainstream sports fans who wants him to fight Pacquiao and he made every excuses to avoid him from drug tests to purse split to Arum. I mean his excuses carries a merit if you're a nitwit and Floyd apologist but the reward far outweighs his excuses and it is beyond ridiculous. The end will justify the means.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #73
Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets

Floyd apologists likes to used steroid used to justify Floyd drug test demand (coward move). If they discredit every Pacquiao fights then why do Floyd need a drug test in the first place. I mean Marquez fought him 3 times and every fight is close that you can make an argument on who wins and no blood test was implemented. Does it mean that Marquez has the pair that Floyd can not grow.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #74
Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
floyd's legacy to the general public, and even many boxing fans, is he ducked to keep his undefeated record. how long have people been talking about Floyd vs Pac? who is the most vocal making all of the excuses? how many celebrities or boxing afficionado's have called Floyd out? ...which carries more weight than some avg fan, especially when you put all of that sentiment together it is how a legacy is built and remembered. sure there will be floyd-tards here and there backing him 20 years from now saying the same stuff as in this thread, but there will be far more remembering him for being a loudmouth ducker. you'd have to be blind and deaf not to see mass public sentiment against floyd.

noc's about mosley, even then its dumb how people try to cite that when the bottom line is fight fans have to push Floyd into fighthing these big matchups. there wouldn't even be the necessity for any controversy if he just did it, instead of danced around it constantly. its just such a dumb point for people to cite
when he's supposed to fight them, not be congratulated because he finally did it after everyone gave him shit for it :

either way i very much doubt history is going to remember Floyd just as much at fault as Pac if they never fight, or if its way later when its past its prime. its way too easy to say Floyd is scared and protecting his undefeated record and theres a lot of his yappin to help make that case on record.

Undefeated record is only appealing to casual fight fans but not to the real boxing fans. It's who you beat and when you beat them.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #75
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpdougie2180
Why do people keep saying this as if saying it will make it true????

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/01/...-three-fights/

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sport...yweather-again

So again why doesn't he deserve a 50/50 split, he also said he'd do a 45/45 split with the winner getting the other 10%.
I'm not speaking about specific fights and direct PPV buys, I'm speaking in general. Floyd Mayweather has brought more fans, money and impact to the sport of boxing than Pacquiao has and most likely ever will. People who have never watched five minutes of boxing in their life, know who Floyd Mayweather is. Pacquiao's name, although it may be unfair, is becoming synonymous with Mayweather's name. Floyd has more at risk, and his yes to this fight means much more than Pac-Man's yes. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but its the truth.

Especially since Pac really lost his last fight.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: