Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
neilio23
I hit open layups

neilio23 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Toronto Raptors 2012-13 roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
With the way that Nash pushes the ball, leaving Demar (your most athletic player) on the bench makes no sense. Players like Demar thrive with a pg like Nash. I don't understand why everyone is so down on Demar. He's only 22 and has been trying to work in an offensive system that does not suit his strengths. He was shoved into a primary scoring role when Bargs went down where teams would suddenly gameplan against him. I thought everyone here understood that was too much for him. But anyways...

I think the issue with Demar is, we expect him to be more than he is right now. That might be unfair pressure, but that is reality. He has shown flashes of being able to be a great player. I think there was an interview with Kobe where Kobe said he had great respect for Demar and expects him to be a great player because of his work ethic. (Who knows, maybe Kobe was just appeasing the Toronto fans...but I don't think he throws out compliments).

Demar is very athletic, but I still cringe when I see him try to create off the dribble. It's obvious he kind of just puts his head down and goes for his move, rather than reacting. His jump shot, though improved, is still suspect.

I have high expectations for him because I think he has the right tools to be a great player. Though you raise a good point, he is only 22 and he's never played with any quality players (besides Bosh). Playing with someone like Nash could be instrumental in his development.
neilio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio23
I think the issue with Demar is, we expect him to be more than he is right now. That might be unfair pressure, but that is reality. He has shown flashes of being able to be a great player. I think there was an interview with Kobe where Kobe said he had great respect for Demar and expects him to be a great player because of his work ethic. (Who knows, maybe Kobe was just appeasing the Toronto fans...but I don't think he throws out compliments).

Demar is very athletic, but I still cringe when I see him try to create off the dribble. It's obvious he kind of just puts his head down and goes for his move, rather than reacting. His jump shot, though improved, is still suspect.

I have high expectations for him because I think he has the right tools to be a great player. Though you raise a good point, he is only 22 and he's never played with any quality players (besides Bosh). Playing with someone like Nash could be instrumental in his development.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the expectations we've put on Derozan. People expected him to be a saviour and now that he is not the superstar we hoped he would become, he is suddenly, at the age of 22, a bust. Kobe said that about Demar because one of the things that everyone has always said about Demar from HS to college to the NBA is that his work ethic is second to none. Whether he will become great, I'm not sure and have my doubts, but I still believe he will be a good NBA player and would really progress with a leader and PG like Nash.

I agree he still needs work but i thought he improved on getting to the rim despite the fact that if was tougher last year because of the lack of talent we had. It was so frustrating watching the Raps last year. When Bargs got hurt, teams had zero respect for what anyone else on the floor could do so they stacked Demar all day. Tough situation for a young growing player who was only 21 at the time and still had a lot of things he needed to work on and improve.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

We extended a qualifying offer to weems? WTF? Using amnesty on Jose? WTF? If they go after Nash, at least do it the right way! Moving Jose in a trade allows us to keep the amnesty. Chicago should at least consider deng for Jose and a lottery protected future 1st rounder. And the suns should also be looking at Jose if Nash walks for nothing.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
I think you hit the nail on the head with the expectations we've put on Derozan. People expected him to be a saviour and now that he is not the superstar we hoped he would become, he is suddenly, at the age of 22, a bust. Kobe said that about Demar because one of the things that everyone has always said about Demar from HS to college to the NBA is that his work ethic is second to none. Whether he will become great, I'm not sure and have my doubts, but I still believe he will be a good NBA player and would really progress with a leader and PG like Nash.

I agree he still needs work but i thought he improved on getting to the rim despite the fact that if was tougher last year because of the lack of talent we had. It was so frustrating watching the Raps last year. When Bargs got hurt, teams had zero respect for what anyone else on the floor could do so they stacked Demar all day. Tough situation for a young growing player who was only 21 at the time and still had a lot of things he needed to work on and improve.

The other thing to consider in the development (or lack thereof) of a young player (ed davis too) is that players are normally coached to some degree through the summer and have a training camp to improve. Last year players were cut off from their teams (and team's resources) and had no training camp. I suspect that is why so many young players stalled last year. It wasn't just the raps, but also players like Wall, jennings, tyreke, etc.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: