Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
keep-itreal
High School Varsity 12th Man

keep-itreal has decent reputation
Default I realized, Basketball is really really hard sometimes

I played like absolute crap today, while some of my teammates were just playing out of their mind. The whole time I was shocked at how good they were. (Dribbling down the court, pull-up 3's...jesus christ)As the game goes on, I got to the point where I was afraid to even touch the ball. They were so good, I thought hell just them take it to the hole. I'll just play defense and hustle or something.

Man I felt so damn useless on the court, its like natural selection or something. If i'm not strong enough physically or mentally, I'm gonna get eaten alive on the court.

I think too much I guess. I honestly don't know what to do in situations like I was in today. My confidence was pretty much crushed today.
keep-itreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
C_lake2802
I airball my layups

C_lake2802 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I realized, Basketball is really really hard sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep-itreal
I played like absolute crap today, while some of my teammates were just playing out of their mind. The whole time I was shocked at how good they were. (Dribbling down the court, pull-up 3's...jesus christ)As the game goes on, I got to the point where I was afraid to even touch the ball. They were so good, I thought hell just them take it to the hole. I'll just play defense and hustle or something.

Man I felt so damn useless on the court, its like natural selection or something. If i'm not strong enough physically or mentally, I'm gonna get eaten alive on the court.

I think too much I guess. I honestly don't know what to do in situations like I was in today. My confidence was pretty much crushed today.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with knowing your role on a team. But there is something wrong with putting yourself in a box and PLAYING SCARED. Just because u notice others can score does not mean you can't score too. If your wide call for it. If you run a pick an roll and roll to the basket and he doesn't pass u the ball u let that man know.

playing scared, does NOTHING for your game... playing scared makes u overthink and then ur gonna play worse to be honest.

The best way to overcome this is practice, i mean PRACTICE HARD at a high level. This is why its important to go game speed in practice. Because when you play other people of higher level the game looks too fast for you.So my advice would be take some time off & practice game-speed hard and you should notice the game slowing down for you a bit.

So when you find yourself playing scared, you gotta push through it and just say **** the outcome. You need to be thinking nothing but positive thoughts even if the outcome isin't positive. Its and exhibition game aka Pickup. Relax, stop playing scared and have fun!!!!!
C_lake2802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
keep-itreal
High School Varsity 12th Man

keep-itreal has decent reputation

Thanks C_lake2802, informative post.

yeah I think in the end, i forgot that its about having fun on the court.
I should change that mindset from now on
keep-itreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah the most important thing is confidence. No matter how skilled you are, if you lack confidence you'll never be the best you can be. So what if you miss shots? You have to know the next one is going in. Just focus on the things you're good at then develop the other areas as you need. If you have beast teammates, just let them do their thing and pick your spots. Just being a flashy scorer isn't the only way to help a team win. Just by having a confident, competitive aura of comradery helps the team out.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
C_lake2802
I airball my layups

C_lake2802 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Yeah the most important thing is confidence. No matter how skilled you are, if you lack confidence you'll never be the best you can be. So what if you miss shots? You have to know the next one is going in. Just focus on the things you're good at then develop the other areas as you need. If you have beast teammates, just let them do their thing and pick your spots. Just being a flashy scorer isn't the only way to help a team win. Just by having a confident, competitive aura of comradery helps the team out.

Good post. Many people are skilled, but mental toughness and desire is what separates a lot of people. And its more than just wanting to win. Its taking on criticism from your teammates, trash talking shots not falling ect... Its knowing how to not get too high or too low within a game

When things aren't going your way and you can turn it around, that impresses me as a player. That's how i know a person really understands how to play and is good. Because any1 can be confident when their having a hot game. Its when the opposite happens, what do u do then?
C_lake2802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Damn where were you playing? Unless I bring a couple of my friends who can ball rarely am I on a team with more than maybe 2 people who can just str8 ball. Now that I'm some crazy baller, but I'm a smart player who understands the game therefore giving me an edge on most pick up ballers.

But yea just keep playing and your confidence will go up. Practice on your own do drills, etc. Like with anything it just takes time. I just got a motorcycle a month ago and I was scared to drive on busy roads with it. I didn't want to stall it or something and look like an idiot and I didn't want to put people in danger cus I wasn't that good of a rider yet... but yea a month later and after taking it one step at a time now I'm confident and riding anywhere at any time. It's like that with Bball too.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: