Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #31
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Default Re: Critique my critique on The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
sorry, i never saw this first time round.

will read tomorrow and get back to you, whats if for btw?

It's for my blog. Originally, it was written for a film course. The Godfather is such an amazing film, I thought it deserved more attention and a revival for turning 40 years old.

Brando, Pacino, Duvall, Caan, Cazale & Coppola
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #32
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

I enjoy Scarface a lot more. That movie doesn't seem to get the respect The Godfather does. That being said I think I need to rewatch part 1 and 2 more to appreciate them. They are interesting movies but I got lost watching them as to who is who and who did what.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #33
KDTrey5
I DO ME, N I CHILL

long ass post.. on my bucket list to one day read it
KDTrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #34
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
I enjoy Scarface a lot more. That movie doesn't seem to get the respect The Godfather does. That being said I think I need to rewatch part 1 and 2 more to appreciate them. They are interesting movies but I got lost watching them as to who is who and who did what.

Scarface is a caricature, Godfather I and II are a masterpiece, they don't really compare.

De Palma isn't even on the same planet as Copolla when it comes to directing
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #35
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Scarface is a caricature, Godfather I and II are a masterpiece, they don't really compare.

De Palma isn't even on the same planet as Copolla when it comes to directing

I suppose you think it's realistic that the godfather's mom would pull a knife on a mob boss and that her child would actually get away from from a bunch of hired guns.

Scarface is a good movie. We see the violence the cartel does today. It's not a stretch that the kind of violence in Scarface could have happened. The movie does have some verisimilitude.

The great thing about Scarface is that Tony Montana is much more complex than he seems. Yeah he has anger problems and will kill you if you cross him but he wouldn't kill kids. He killed his best friend but you could see that he had some remorse after he did it.

The director shows that even a poor uneducated killer like Tony Montana can see how corrupt and hypocritical that government is.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #36
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
I suppose you think it's realistic that the godfather's mom would pull a knife on a mob boss and that her child would actually get away from from a bunch of hired guns.

Scarface is a good movie. We see the violence the cartel does today. It's not a stretch that the kind of violence in Scarface could have happened. The movie does have some verisimilitude.

The great thing about Scarface is that Tony Montana is much more complex than he seems. Yeah he has anger problems and will kill you if you cross him but he wouldn't kill kids. He killed his best friend but you could see that he had some remorse after he did it.

The director shows that even a poor uneducated killer like Tony Montana can see how corrupt and hypocritical that government is.

omg sooo complexx. hezz not completly good or evil and he sparez da kiddies from my little friend.
herp derp.

Every f*cking oldschool man that ever lived was tough, but honorable and chivalrous. It is nothing new.

Michael Corleone's brilliance, "loss of innocence", and evolution through the series sh!ts on Tony Montana's overblown machoism.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #37
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
omg sooo complexx. hezz not completly good or evil and he sparez da kiddies from my little friend.
herp derp.

Every f*cking oldschool man that ever lived was tough, but honorable and chivalrous. It is nothing new.

Michael Corleone's brilliance, "loss of innocence", and evolution through the series sh!ts on Tony Montana's overblown machoism.

Most predictable response ever. I expected it from another poster though. Just belittle someones post, add some z's on the end of a word, mission accomplished. You have totally won me over, I think I will change my opinion now.

I will now never look at Scarface the same way. The writing just can't compare with The Godfather. I mean I never once predicted that someone was about to die when there was a car waiting outside for them. So amazing. Oh and how the senator talks smack to Michael Corleone in his own office, that wasn't an obvious chance for Michael to show how cold he can look while plotting revenge.

Masterpiece? LAWLZ ROFFLECOPTER
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #38
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
It's for my blog. Originally, it was written for a film course. The Godfather is such an amazing film, I thought it deserved more attention and a revival for turning 40 years old.

Brando, Pacino, Duvall, Caan, Cazale & Coppola

you did a film course in which you can just write opinion without quoting an academic reference for every single point that you make? amazing, i knew i should have studied in the states.

one of the things that always jumps out at me every time i see the godfather is how great the cinematography is, i think thats probably the key thing that elevates it over films like scareface etc etc.

still haven't read your piece but i'll get to it..
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: