Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
KDTrey5
I DO ME, N I CHILL
 
KDTrey5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: smart girl.. dumb bootayyy
Posts: 1,669
KDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default anyone here coach?

starting my 'career' next week, got some high school kids who made the team last year coming in for summer workouts. team isnt finalized but we can get an idea who we want on the team. im not head coach, only assistant but i wanna make that leap one day. just wondering if anyone here got any experience and want to throw any suggestions?
KDTrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
SourPatchKids
Banned
 
SourPatchKids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dooney Rock
Posts: 7,110
SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Make sure to know that each kid is unique and should be treated differently. Also, the best coaches I've ever had tended to show not tell.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
KDTrey5
I DO ME, N I CHILL
 
KDTrey5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: smart girl.. dumb bootayyy
Posts: 1,669
KDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Make sure to know that each kid is unique and should be treated differently. Also, the best coaches I've ever had tended to show not tell.
KDTrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
Burgz V2
Good college starter
 
Burgz V2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,168
Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDTrey5
starting my 'career' next week, got some high school kids who made the team last year coming in for summer workouts. team isnt finalized but we can get an idea who we want on the team. im not head coach, only assistant but i wanna make that leap one day. just wondering if anyone here got any experience and want to throw any suggestions?

ive done some coaching for some provincial development teams in toronto (pretty much AAU level ball but in toronto)

im still pretty young so the players really related to me more than the head coach. Assistant coaching is much more fun to tell you the truth, you're not the authoritarian, you're that second voice that either reinforces whatever the head coach says or provides a new perspective on the same idea.

What you should really do first before anything is to immediately figure out what every players' strengths are, what they would like to get better at, what you think they should get better at and start from there, it's a good place to start. A lot of great coaches started as film guys and worked their way up through player development. Players love coaches who aren't just concerned with winning but understand that they want to get better as players, not just be a piece to some puzzle all the time.

also, high school ball players are very self-conscious. remember all those times when you played when the coach complimented you in practice and you knew he was acknowledging something you did.

now remember all the times he didn't. and it made you boil, and wanna work harder sometimes, and sometimes make you say eff this guy he doesnt even acknowledge the work im putting in.

HS players get jealous, they get tentative, they get emotional about the game in general. when doing drills give them AS MUCH FEEDBACK TO EVERY SINGLE PLAYER AS POSSIBLE! The head coach cannot always do this, so it will be up to you most times to be that guy.

once scrimmages start, THEN you can be a fly on the wall and let them play through their mistakes.

i know a lot of good drills as well that you can use so if you need 'em just bump this thread and i got you covered
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
SourPatchKids
Banned
 
SourPatchKids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dooney Rock
Posts: 7,110
SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
HS players get jealous, they get tentative, they get emotional about the game in general. when doing drills give them AS MUCH FEEDBACK TO EVERY SINGLE PLAYER AS POSSIBLE! The head coach cannot always do this, so it will be up to you most times to be that guy.

This is very important and I've noticed assistant coaches are great at this.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Maga_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,532
Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: anyone here coach?

I'm currently help coaching a team of kids under 10 years old in the same club that i play for.

A lot more fun than actually praticising, but again there's kids there with just 5 years old
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
KDTrey5
I DO ME, N I CHILL
 
KDTrey5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: smart girl.. dumb bootayyy
Posts: 1,669
KDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
ive done some coaching for some provincial development teams in toronto (pretty much AAU level ball but in toronto)

im still pretty young so the players really related to me more than the head coach. Assistant coaching is much more fun to tell you the truth, you're not the authoritarian, you're that second voice that either reinforces whatever the head coach says or provides a new perspective on the same idea.

What you should really do first before anything is to immediately figure out what every players' strengths are, what they would like to get better at, what you think they should get better at and start from there, it's a good place to start. A lot of great coaches started as film guys and worked their way up through player development. Players love coaches who aren't just concerned with winning but understand that they want to get better as players, not just be a piece to some puzzle all the time.

also, high school ball players are very self-conscious. remember all those times when you played when the coach complimented you in practice and you knew he was acknowledging something you did.

now remember all the times he didn't. and it made you boil, and wanna work harder sometimes, and sometimes make you say eff this guy he doesnt even acknowledge the work im putting in.

HS players get jealous, they get tentative, they get emotional about the game in general. when doing drills give them AS MUCH FEEDBACK TO EVERY SINGLE PLAYER AS POSSIBLE! The head coach cannot always do this, so it will be up to you most times to be that guy.

once scrimmages start, THEN you can be a fly on the wall and let them play through their mistakes.

i know a lot of good drills as well that you can use so if you need 'em just bump this thread and i got you covered
sounds good man. got some drills already but i gotta see how it goes first.
KDTrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,498
Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: anyone here coach?

I've been involved with a church CYO team for about a decade now. I've served as head coach, assistant, and even something of a program overseer, mainly because most of the coaches are parents, and I was running a more comprehensive program, so the people who run the thing asked me to sort do come coaching of the coaches, set up practices, install offenses and defenses, assess rosters and make adjustments to our general systems.

It's been a great experience. I'm still close with a lot of the kids. As was said before, positive feedback is huge to kids, particularly at that age, but if it's constant than it means nothing. And also, there was a mention above that every kid is different and needs to be treated as such, I couldn't agree more, but one of the things I learned along the way that made this easier on me was figuring out that you have to teach that same concept to the kids. And it has to be done on a personal level. You can't be dressing kids down all the time in front of their teammates. What you need to do is at some point explain to the better kids that you're going to put them at disadvantages in practice, that you aren't holding the lesser kids to the same standard as them, that you're going to ride them. That way they understand that you're hitting them publicly is a compliment. That you expect more, that they're capable of more, and that they need to lead by example.

My first group of kids is now out of college amazingly. I see them at bars occasionally. I had a bunch playing in my softball league this year. They'd invite me over to drink in the parking lot. When we were short players they'd offer to fill in for my team. We talked smack when they were up to bat (I pitch). That's the sort of long term relationship I'm actually proud of. And I've had a couple do big things. One is playing second base in the Mariners minor league system.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
KDTrey5
I DO ME, N I CHILL
 
KDTrey5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: smart girl.. dumb bootayyy
Posts: 1,669
KDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I've been involved with a church CYO team for about a decade now. I've served as head coach, assistant, and even something of a program overseer, mainly because most of the coaches are parents, and I was running a more comprehensive program, so the people who run the thing asked me to sort do come coaching of the coaches, set up practices, install offenses and defenses, assess rosters and make adjustments to our general systems.

It's been a great experience. I'm still close with a lot of the kids. As was said before, positive feedback is huge to kids, particularly at that age, but if it's constant than it means nothing. And also, there was a mention above that every kid is different and needs to be treated as such, I couldn't agree more, but one of the things I learned along the way that made this easier on me was figuring out that you have to teach that same concept to the kids. And it has to be done on a personal level. You can't be dressing kids down all the time in front of their teammates. What you need to do is at some point explain to the better kids that you're going to put them at disadvantages in practice, that you aren't holding the lesser kids to the same standard as them, that you're going to ride them. That way they understand that you're hitting them publicly is a compliment. That you expect more, that they're capable of more, and that they need to lead by example.

My first group of kids is now out of college amazingly. I see them at bars occasionally. I had a bunch playing in my softball league this year. They'd invite me over to drink in the parking lot. When we were short players they'd offer to fill in for my team. We talked smack when they were up to bat (I pitch). That's the sort of long term relationship I'm actually proud of. And I've had a couple do big things. One is playing second base in the Mariners minor league system.

its my 1st experience, so hopefully all goes well. but i know some of the kids already. cousin use to play for the same team. also known the coaches for years so it should be an easy transition. trying to make a career out of it so lets see what i can do. i use to coach kids few years ago and it was pretty easy but it isnt anything to brag about
KDTrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
SourPatchKids
Banned
 
SourPatchKids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dooney Rock
Posts: 7,110
SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Nothing earns kids' respect better than throwing it down for them on the first day of practice. If you got the bunnies.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
KDTrey5
I DO ME, N I CHILL
 
KDTrey5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: smart girl.. dumb bootayyy
Posts: 1,669
KDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Nothing earns kids' respect better than throwing it down for them on the first day of practice. If you got the bunnies.
ye maybe if we scrimmage
KDTrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20,411
KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Working on it. I guess by my age I should be done with school and coaching/teaching, but I had some things happen, and had to take a couple of years off from school. Anyway, sorry for the length of my post. Don't know how long it'll be, but I tend to ramble when it comes to talking about stuff like this.

In the meantime, I've been "volunteering" at my dad's school. He was the senior high head coach for about 10 years in the late 80s and 90s before retiring and just teaching. Before the 2010-2011 school year, though, the school district had to make budget cuts, which meant they had to fire some of the newer staff. One of those happened to be the boy's basketball coach who had only been there for one year. Which led to them asking my dad and another coach (guy who was the junior high coach at the same time my dad was the senior high coach) to takeover for a few years. It's a small 2A school in Arkansas, so the talent and athletes aren't the best.

Anyway, that first year ('10-'11) was a lot of fun. I was pretty quiet most of the time. Every once in awhile I would step in and say something or point something out and, if I saw something during the game I'd tell my dad or the player; but for the most part I kind of just sat back and observed. Didn't want to overstep my bounds. It was a very successful season. It's a school that hasn't had much basketball success (in boy's basketball) since my dad retired and, on top of that, they're in the same conference as two other non-football schools with a ton of basketball tradition. I don't know how this works in other states but, in Arkansas, the smallest classification is 1A and none of those schools have football; but in 2A and 3A there are a few non-football schools sprinkled in around the state which is a small unfair advantage to the other schools in the conference since they get their players in the gym all fall long, and get to start playing games about a month earlier.

Still, we got very luck that first year. We had 8 seniors and our top 6 didn't play football. They had gone undefeated in a very weak 3A conference the year before but, despite moving down to 2A, they were in a tougher basketball conference (much weaker in football, though). We were fortunate in that the seniors had a lot of experience, would be in the gym all fall during football season, and had some talented players. However, due to being on their 4th coach since 7th grade, they hadn't had any continuity in development, and were lacking in some of the most basic areas. We still proved to be the best team in the conference, though, going 11-1 in conference play with the only loss coming on the road by 4 to one of the non-football schools who finished second. As the old saying goes, though, "it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks" and it was very hard to break them of some of their bad habits in one season. Talent wise we were 15-20 points better than anyone in the conference, and proved it by beating the 2nd and 3rd place teams (again, the two non-football schools) by 20 and 30 points at home. Unfortunately County Line (second place team in the conference that we split with) were hosting the district tournament and we knew beating them in the district finals would be a very tough task. They're one of those schools who is known for getting good "home cooking" and they have very passionate fans. Still, midway through the 3rd quarter of the district finals, we had a 16 point lead on the host team. Unfortunately, things fell apart quickly. After a string of questionable calls and turnovers, our lead was down to 6 by the start of the 4th quarter, and we ended up losing by 3. That meant for the regional tournament we were on the same side of the bracket as the best team from the other conference in the region. And while we had gotten by on our talent and depth most of the season, we knew they were the one team in the region that matched our 8-deep rotation, and also had as much talent and more athleticism than we did. We lost a tough game in the regional semi-finals, and went into the state tournament as a 3-seed instead of a 1 or 2 seed.

At the end of the day, though, it was a successful season since it was the first time they made the state tournament in 25 years. My dad never had a boys team make the state tournament, partially because they used to only take the top two teams from the region then, and now they take the top four.

This past season, despite losing 8 seniors, we still ran through the conference undefeated in the regular season, although not as dominantly as the year before. We had our second best player from the season before back, and started 6'4" and 6'5" up front, which was a big advantage in a conference where everyone else started 6-footers inside. Got to the district tournament, though, and the night before our regional semi-final game our best big man got sick and couldn't play. Once again we were playing the host school who, despite finishing 4th in the conference, played us tough twice in the regular season and split with the 2nd and 3rd place teams. We got beat by one on a buzzer beater three. It was very heartbreaking. That loss meant we had to play the best team from the other conference in the 1st round of the regional tournament, which also meant that one of the two best teams in the region wouldn't make the state tournament. Our big kid was still out sick, and we had another starter hurt. We played them tough, but lost by about 8. In hindsight it was a successful season but, at the time, it was hard to see it that way.

To make a long story short, there was some very high highs and some very low lows the last two years. I learned a lot, got close to some of the kids, and it did nothing but reaffirm that coaching high school basketball is what I want to do. I mean I've had an idea I wanted to coach since I was like 13 or 14, but after these two seasons I can't see myself doing anything else.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,750
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: anyone here coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Nothing earns kids' respect better than throwing it down for them on the first day of practice. If you got the bunnies.
Ha, funny but so true. I've used that technique for years. I'll be in trouble once my legs stop taking me up there.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy