Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #31
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

L.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: John Stockton 1-15-91

Your discussion brings out what was the best about John Stockton: he didnt care about such things like "who is the best on the team or who is the best of all time". he played to win. he did everything to make his teammates better and gave it all on both ends of the floor every time. he is everything you want your PG to be, because you can get scorers, you can get rebounders, but there are few floor leaders, guys who are like a coach on the floor even in extrem pressure situations.

sure, Magic is the best PG of all time, but he is a freak, a PG in the body of a SF/PF. then behind Oscar, Stockton is there with Frazier, Isiah, Payton, Cousy.

he is my favorite PG and i would always let him bring up the ball and initiate the offense of my team.
L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #32
Kovach
Decent playground baller

Kovach is considered somewhat coolKovach is considered somewhat coolKovach is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquesports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
He was the best player on his own team as far as I'm concerned.

Who was the best player on that team is so subjective to the point that facepalming over one pick is facepalm-inducing in itself.
Kovach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #33
Niquesports
Good college starter

Niquesports has decent reputationNiquesports has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovach
Who was the best player on that team is so subjective to the point that facepalming over one pick is facepalm-inducing in itself.

DOes anyone else on them teams have a MVP. Nothing subjective about it. Its very objective.That karl was that teams Go to player. Sure stock was the floor general but it was always to get Karl the ball.
Niquesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #34
Niquesports
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
Your discussion brings out what was the best about John Stockton: he didnt care about such things like "who is the best on the team or who is the best of all time". he played to win. he did everything to make his teammates better and gave it all on both ends of the floor every time. he is everything you want your PG to be, because you can get scorers, you can get rebounders, but there are few floor leaders, guys who are like a coach on the floor even in extrem pressure situations.

sure, Magic is the best PG of all time, but he is a freak, a PG in the body of a SF/PF. then behind Oscar, Stockton is there with Frazier, Isiah, Payton, Cousy.

he is my favorite PG and i would always let him bring up the ball and initiate the offense of my team.
Good Post but your staement on Stockton can be said about all the other PG you listed.Did anyone play harder size for size than Thomas ? PG/SG Payton was the best defender /scorer of all time as a PG. Frazier great defender and would give you a quiet cool 30 any given night.Outside of Magic and oscar and id say Thomas how you rank the rest is subjective.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #35
Niquesports
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Stockton was Better than Isiah but He Was NOT the Best on his Team. Malone was. Although, If you Go By Clutchness then Stockton Might Be the Best On His Team for "some".

Don`t Give Me This Crap that Isiah Did Not Have A Top 50 Player but What He Had WAS A TEAM FULL OF ALL STARS AND GREAT DEFENDERS AND SHOOTERS. ALOT OF TOOLS:

1-A TOP REBOUNDER AND POST DEFENDER IN THE LEAGUE BILL LAIMBEER
2-BEST 1 ON 1 DEFENDER EVER AND THE GREATEST REBOUNDER POUND FOR POUND IN DENNIS RODMAN
3-MARK AGUIRRE A TOP SCORER IN THE 80S
4-A GREAT SCORER IN VINNIE JOHNSOJN
5-ADRIAN DANTLEY A TOP SCORER IN THE 80S (might have gotten in the Top 50 had he won a ring)
6-A TOP DEFENDER AND SHOOTER IN JOE DUMARS
7-SALLEY AND MAHORN: GREAT SHOT BLOKCER AND POST DEFENDER/REBOUNDER

Isiah Had Alot of Help

Now list the help Stockton had
Flaws in your post
Rodman was a developing your sf very good 6th man
Sally and Mahorn were not as good as Mark Eaton
2 great outside shooting SG Jeff Malone and Jeff Honizak
A very athletic Darnell Griffin
A very athletic and at the times was close to equal to Rodman in Thurl Bailey
and I could go on
A top 10 All Time Coach like Isiah
The best scoring PF of all time
Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #36
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquesports
DOes anyone else on them teams have a MVP. Nothing subjective about it. Its very objective.That karl was that teams Go to player. Sure stock was the floor general but it was always to get Karl the ball.

Being the go to guy doesn't necessarily make one a teams best player. Stockton played on a higher plane than Karl.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #37
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Being the go to guy doesn't necessarily make one a teams best player. Stockton played on a higher plane than Karl.

this is disingenuous

During karl malone's playing days he made himself into what some people were calling the best ever at his position

at no point in Stock's career did ANYBODY call him the best ever at his position

granted, the top PG's list is a bit more loaded than the top PF's list but it's disingenuous for you to say that Stockton dominated his position more than Malone dominated the power forward position during their playing days.
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #38
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by get these NETS
this is disingenuous

During karl malone's playing days he made himself into what some people were calling the best ever at his position

at no point in Stock's career did ANYBODY call him the best ever at his position

granted, the top PG's list is a bit more loaded than the top PF's list but it's disingenuous for you to say that Stockton dominated his position more than Malone dominated the power forward position during their playing days.

Stockton was right there with the top pgs not named Magic while Karl and Barkley were the guys at PF. Magic is in a class all by himself. I never compared him to other pgs. Bird is the only guy you could compare him with when they played. Maybe Big O before that and Lebron now. Could argue that Karl is actually a better comparison to Magic since they are the same size!

In Utah Stockton and Malone were always talked of as equals. Karl ended up with more accolades and scoring is sexier to most people but I always saw Stockton at a higher level.K arl needed John more than the other way around.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: