Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #46
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Training camp/pre-season!

From the Tribune:

Quote:
Kevin Murphy back in Utah Jazz camp after birth of son

"He’s going to be good," Jazz head coach Ty Corbin said. "We like him. He can shoot it, he can put it on the floor. He can play. We’re happy to have him back and he’s just got to go out and play."

Quote:
Corbin told the media on Friday that Al Jefferson in great shape, maybe the best of his career.

Quote:
Watson said that he’s still not going 100 yet in practice, although he is feeling better coming off knee surgery.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #47
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
CORBIN ON FOYE
“He is a shooter, he is a great spot up shooter, we can the ball in his hands some to make plays, but if he has his feet spot spotting up in the corner or behind the three point line we feel very good him making shots.”

CORBIN ON MO WILLIAMS
“He is a leader he is an attacker, he is a great communicator with the guys on the floor in a good way, they seem to listen and follow what he is saying. His speed, the way he can generates and navigate guys on the floor, he sees things early, he advances the ball, and then makes a play off that and gives us more versatility then we have had.

More versatile than pulling up or puttting your head down and going to the rim?

Quote:
CORBIN ON HOW MO WILLIAMS IS EVOLVED
His confidence his shooting is better, he is a pretty dead eye three point shooter, he is a better one on one attacker then he was then, he has a good feel when to go and when to pull back, when to get other guys involved and who to go to at the time.

CORBIN ON KANTER
He is 20 years old and he missed a whole year at Kentucky, he had a lockout year so he missed the summer and that summer went to December – he came in and guys are bigger faster stronger and he is trying to think his way through it. Now he knows what to expect, he had a time frame to be ready.

Kanter is a young guy trying to figure out his body and over the next few years he may go through stretches where he is a little heavier where is a little smaller.
He needs to learn if it is not a time to where he needs to create contact just catch and finish and not seek out contact when it is not necessary.

CORBIN ON MARVIN WILLIAMS
the shot looks good, he is confident shooter, he knows how to get his feet under him and get his base down so when he comes off the driblle or comes off the down screen he is facing, he has turned quick and get his balance and his release looks really good. He is a good spot up shooter and I think we can get him better off the dribble some too.

He can handle the ball, you can put the ball in his hand, you can put him in pick and roll occasionally, you can put the ball in his hand early and be able to create and get to the basket some, he should be able to get to the free throw line some by posting guys up especially smaller 3

CORBIN ON MILLSAP AS A THREE
“There may be times when we can use him as three man he is a 4 man and he likes playing 4 at times we have an advantage to go big and put him at the three spot we will use that times to play him at three but we don’t want to put him at a disadvantage at the three spot and get him in foul trouble.”

CORBIN ON DIFFERENT STYLE TEAM
What fans will notice different about the team – our size – we can be big with Gordon playing the 2, the way we can move with this size is going to be a nice change.

Will be a nice change if they are dictating it and not just playing to the the other teams match-ups as Sloan did.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #48
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
INSIDER – Competition at the core of Alec Burks development
Posted on October 5, 2012 by David Locke
The uniqueness of an NBA training camp is a team of players, are simultaneously battling for playing time while trying to build a unit that can win together. In the midst of those positional battles lessons are taught from veterans to youngsters.

This year at Jazz camp one of the toughest battles is for shooting guard minutes between Randy Foye and Alec Burks. At the same time, Burks is improving every day because he has to battle with a 6 year veteran like Randy Foye.

Paul Millsap and Earl Watson remember playing against established all-star veterans when they were 1st and 2nd year players and both know it improved their games.

For Watson it was a daily grind with future Hall of Famer Gary Payton ““I learned every trick of the trade, how to come off a pick and roll defensively, I think it was why I guard well because I learned from him, a coach can’t teach you what you have to learn from that position, to learn under him, a hall of famer, it made it easy for me to get knowledge immediately.”

At other times in his career Watson played alongside another developing player and it was not as fruitful, “I learned more going against a vet, playing against guys my age or younger we were both trying to figure it out it was like two kids in a candy store running wild trying to figure it out. When I was with Payton, I asked him to stay on top of me. He gave me the skills and knowledge to stay in the league as long as I have.”

Alec Burks has already had one of those experiences with Randy Foye this year in camp. Foye explained, “One thing he is picking up from me is work ethic, the other day we were going against each other and he was a little tired and I continued to put the pressure on him and he said in the locker room hey man I was tired you kept pressuring me and I told him there are time in the game where you can tell someone is tired and you have to just attack them all out and force your will on them.”

It was a learning moment for Alec Burks. One Paul Millsap had when he broke into the game playing against Carlos Boozer “In order for you to get better you have to compete every day against the best competition especially against someone who might be ahead of you or has more years than you. You learn the only way to get better is to work hard and to compete.”

The Jazz could have cleared the deck and left Alec Burks without competition this year. Instead, they brought in an established player with toughness like Randy Foye. This is making every day of camp far more difficult for Burks than the alternative.

Burks is loaded with skills. He is adjusting his game from being the primary scorer and primary possession user at Colorado to a part of a team in the NBA. At the same time he is learning even more valuable lessons from Foye.

Coach Corbin sees this as the next step for Burks. “It is good for Burks because he had a great summer. Last year, he learned the lessons of how to be under control and the summer league was very good for him we put the ball in his hands a lot and now the competition changed you come in against Randy Foye and Gordon Hayward he is learning now that every night is top competition.”

Randy Foye understands his role in Burks development, “It is important for him to see the work ethic; you build your values when you are young.”

Every day another piece of the Alec Burks foundation is being built. In camp it is being done by competition.

Posted in Insider

A big part of why you need a balanced roster and not just a bunch of old guys or young guys and why they need a young pg developing.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 AM   #49
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
"I thought I was pretty familiar with (the Jazz offensive sets)," Foye said. "But going through it and its different calls, I thought it was just one thing but it's like eight different things out of one play. I'm close, but it's just the third or fourth day of practice, so I still need some more time. I'm working on it, but I'm a pretty bright guy so I think I should pick it up."

Sounds like they're getting away from the iso Al/Devin offense and back to the flex!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #50
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/10/6/346...crimmage-recap

Burks playing the 1 and involving his teammates is nice to hear. That was his biggest weakness I thought last year. He played too much like Devin. Just put his head down and barreled to the hole 1 on 5 or pulled up.

Also Enes shooting jumpers and passing out of the post. Deal Al now!

Quinn could be an option if they can unload Watson. I'm sure he wouldn't bitch and moan at the end of the bench anyway.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #51
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

From the trib:
Quote:
Kanter made headlines for his massive weight loss and new body heading into training camp. His frame, now down to 240 pounds, also raised questions about his strength on the interior and ability to bang in the paint.

He put some of those questions to rest on Saturday. Kanter posted up and made shots. He showed much more lift and explosion than he had during his rookie season. He ran the floor for easy dunks, lending validity to the rumors of him standing out during training camp this week.

"He’s really getting up and down the floor and he’s added athleticism," Jazz coach Ty Corbin said. "The great thing is that he hasn’t lost the power in his game with the weight he’s lost. He’s looked really good during camp."

Kanter’s role this season is likely to stay the same, or minimally increase at best, as he still plays behind Al Jefferson. It is clear, however, that the Jazz organization is encouraged with the progress he’s made this summer.

While most of the headlines center around Kanter the goofball — he conducted interviews in a skimpy T-shirt to show off his muscles — he’s improved his game enough that the coaching staff is willing to deal with the side antics.

His jumper is smooth and his range extends to 18 feet. His added athleticism allowed him to block a Kevin Murphy shot, which ignited a fast break. And his strength of last season, his rebounding, is still prevalent.

"I feel much more comfortable than I did last year," Kanter said. "I’m more comfortable with the language. I feel like I can contribute much more than I did last season."

More lift and explosion, running the floor for dunks, 18 foot jumpers I don't see how they can keep Al around and say he's not going to get more time than last year. There were times last year when he was out playing Favors and I'm sure that will be the case again despite all the love Favors get as the second coming. Other than help defense I'm not convinced Favors is going to be the better player myself and I know they are better off without Al holding them back at both ends with his plodding style of play.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #52
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Warriors coach Mark Jackson said he's considering sitting out point guard Stephen Curry for one of the first two preseason games. Golden State opens the exhibition schedule with a back-to-back set, Sunday vs. the Lakers in Fresno and Monday vs. Utah in Oakland. Jackson is concerned about working Curry's oft-injured right ankle too hard too soon. "I'm going to think about it, talk to Steph about it," Jackson said, "and make the right decision as far as that's concerned. I really don't want to work him on back-to-back nights." Contra Costa Times

The tanking is getting started early this year.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #53
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Another view of the scrimmage:

Quote:
Kanter really stole the show, both before and during the game. He acted as MC for part of the time and showed off his dance moves this year. He’s not the shy young Turk from last year. He’s got a nice outside shot, with range, and makes his free throws. He is a lean, mean fighting machine. He gets up and down the court quickly and plays above the rim.

Burks played some point, alongside Gordon, very well. He can really push and handle the ball. At 6′6″ and Gordon at 6′8″, what a nightmare that would be for other teams! Gordon was smooth, with such a soft shot. This should be a breakout year for him.

Randy Foye got a lot of time at the point and pushes the ball very well. He can knock down the 3. He will be tough competition for Alec to get minutes.

Kevin Murphy can shoot the ball. He has such nice range. It looks like the 47th pick is lucky for the Jazz, because he should make the 3rd #47 pick on the Jazz this year. It seems like you’re either a lottery pick, or a #47 pick, if you play for the Jazz.

Marvin Williams has great size and is very fluid. He has a balanced, smooth shot. He looked good going to the hole a couple of times. His 6′9″ size is going to be matchup problems for other team’s SFs.

Foye also playing some one but with Mo and Watson out someone had to.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #54
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

and another:

Quote:
Hayward, Marvin, Burks, and Carrol all hit the floor hard at various times (Carroll even dived into the bench after a loose ball).
Highlights for me:
*Kanter is a behemoth, and can dunk in traffic, set pics, and score off the roll. Extremely physical player, once he lowers his shoulder he is unstoppable. Made plays above the rim. Can run and jump much better.Definitely saw his mid-range jumper come out. Hits most his free throws. Gorgeous stroke.

*Randy Foye can play point guard. Even had a nice crossover. He can create his own shot, pass, distribute and even blocked a shot. I did not know Foye was this good! More importantly, he nailed some three pointers.

*Marvin Williams is extremely athletic, and extremely long. Blocked shots, made some alley-oops, hit some mid range jumpers. Excellent passer. Gets teammates involved.

*Kevin Murphy was the best shooter on the floor. Hit 3-4 three pointers, nothing but net (toe was on the line once or twice. Made two buzzer beater threes (almost, the second one was after the clock expired). Made a mid range shot and a floater. I was extremely impressed. KOC is really a genius–we have one of the steals of the very deep 2012 draft.

*Demarre Carrol’s shot has improved, but still isn’t great. Great hustler though, great competitive spirit.

*Alec Burk’s shot has also improved, but still isn’t as good as it is going to get. Burks had one of the best plays of the night–a fast break reverse slam dunk. Got the crowd on their feet. Plays with power and passion. Gets to the free throw line.

*Hayward was his usual self, doing a lot of subtle things that don’t cry out for attention but that benefit his team. As far as I know, every team that Hayward has been on in various scrimmages this week has won. That tells you a lot about the impact of Hayward. As usual, has a nice stroke and gets to the free three low line. Hayward and Burks have great chemistry when they’re on the floor together.

*Jamaal Tinsley is a stud. Can facillitate an offense, pass, get teammates involved. Blocked a shot and stole the ball a couple of times. In my opinion, he is far superior to Earl Williams (But he can’t alley-oop like Earl can. Because no one can.)

*Jeremy Evans didn’t have a whole lot of impact, but looks stronger and is more confident.

*Quinn did an excellent job running the point as well. Of all the unsigned guys, he impressed me the most. The big guy, Jackson also played well. Definitely a defensive force, very physical player. Very foul prone though, and not very athletic. Trey Gilder made a play or two, but overall nothing much to speak of. Whiteside was pretty much worthless.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #55
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

and on to the pre-season games! :

Quote:
Veterans Al Jefferson and Mo Williams are expected to play in the Jazz’s preseason opener Monday night at Golden State.

Prior to Sunday’s practice, coach Tyrone Corbin said Jefferson and Williams were held out of Saturday’s public scrimmage as a precaution because they were "a little banged up."

Asked if they would play against the Warriors, Corbin said, "I think they will be fine."

Jefferson was disappointed to miss the scrimmage but looks forward to the preseason opener.

"I wanted to play," he said. "But coach told me to take it easy because I kind of hurt my groin in practice. But it’s fine. The coaches just wanted me to take it easy."

Quote:
Preseason priorities

Corbin’s No. 1 goal against Golden State will be to watch how his players implement what was emphasized by the coaching staff during camp.

"Just seeing how much of it we’ve picked up," Corbin said. "You get used to playing against each other. ... Now, with a fresh group of defenders, how do you transfer it from practice into a game?"

Corbin has "an idea" how he will distribute playing time against Golden State but didn’t say who would start.

"You want to give your main guys some minutes but not too many minutes," he said, "and you want to see how other guys mix in.

"Can they come off the bench and give you this or that? What group gives you a faster lineup or a defensive lineup? You want to figure that out as soon as we can."

Quote:
Camp goals met

The Golden State game ends the training camp portion of the Jazz’s preseason, which left Corbin with a positive impression of his retooled roster and appreciative of the effort made by his players.

"I thought the guys came in in great shape and had focus from Day 1," he said. "We had a lot of practices. Two-a-days are tough. Your body is beat up and you’re tired. ... But they fought their way through it and picked a lot of stuff up. Their focus and effort has been great the whole training camp."

Quote:
Veteran point guard Earl Watson did not travel to Golden State as he continues to work on recovering from knee surgery in April. ... All-time, the Jazz are 5-3 in preseason games against the Warriors. ... Corbin on the improvement Gordon Hayward has shown during camp: "Every year his growth shows you who he is and what he can do in this league."
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #56
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Gordon Hayward shot confidently from the outside, and his teammates followed
suit. Kevin Murphy, Alec Burks, Randy Foye, even Trey Gilder, they all fired at
will.
It was the kind of perimeter shooting performance Jazz
fans could only dream about last season.

ul#Gallery { list-style:none; margin-bottom:10px; } ul#Gallery li { float:left; margin:0px 7px 7px 0px; width:55px; height:55px; overflow:hidden; background-color:#000; } .ps-toolbar-top { text-align:center; } .ps-toolbar-close, div.ps-toolbar-previous, div.ps-toolbar-next, div.ps-toolbar-play { display:block !important; float:right; } .ps-toolbar { overflow:visible !important; } .ps-caption { height:59px !important; } .ps-socialtools { float:left; padding:7px 0px 0px 6px; } .ps-socialtools span { float:left; margin-right:2px; } .ps-ad { width:160px; height:600px; position:absolute; right:0px; z-index:1000; opacity:1.0; filter:alpha(opacity=100); } .ps-triblogo { padding-right:10px; position:relative; z-index:999999; padding-top:1px; } Too bad no official statistics were kept in Saturday’s
intrasquad scrimmage. But the Jazz hope their offseason moves have shored up
their most glaring hole from last year, when they ranked 27th in the NBA in
3-point shooting percentage and 29th in attempts.

Former General Manager Kevin O’Connor and, his
replacement, Dennis Lindsey, targeted shooters in their offseason moves.

"[Outside] shooting is one thing we struggled with last
year and they fixed that problem," center Al Jefferson said.

Starting with Monday’s preseason opener at Golden
State, the Jazz will have the opportunity to demonstrate that their offseason
acquisitions and effort paid off beyond a relaxed scrimmage, where the Jazz
were certainly impressive from beyond the 3-point line.

The Jazz upgraded their shooting at three positions,
acquiring point guard Mo Williams, combo guard Randy Foye and small forward
Marvin Williams, who last year shot an average 38.8 percent on 3-pointers.

"These guys have a history in the league," coach Tyrone
Corbin said. "So you know what they were with somebody else, and you have an
idea what they will be with us and our group."

Murphy was drafted out of Tennessee Tech in the second
round, and players including Hayward spent the offseason working to improve
from the outside.

However, Hayward said the key to improving may be
confidence and opportunity.

"I think a lot of that has to do with us stepping up
and shooting those shots," Hayward said. "So it’s just going to rely on us
getting those shots up. Last year I don’t think we shot as many as we
should."

Perhaps the biggest addition the Jazz made to bolster
outside shooting was free agent pickup Randy Foye, who made 129 3-point shots
last year with the Clippers.

Foye spent much of his second year in the NBA injured
and said he spent that time working on his outside shot.

"You look at the league, and people last when they can
really shoot the ball," he said. "Slashing goes away, all that stuff goes away.
Being able to jump, dunk, being really explosive. But if you can shoot you can
always play."

It’s his most marketable skill, but the Jazz became his
fourth team in seven seasons. Foye said he doesn’t feel any pressure to carry
the Jazz’s perimeter shooting responsibilities.

"With all the work you’ve put in, everything else will
take care of itself," he said. "You can’t worry and say, ‘I’m going to take
shots because this is what the Jazz need.’ Nah, you can’t think like that."

The Jazz’s whole strategy is that he won’t have to.

"We have some good shooters on the team," Hayward said.
"So as long as we get ourselves good open looks [and] we shoot them with
confidence, it should be one of our strengths."

I'd say Mo was a bigger pick-up than Foye. He will play a bigger role and more importantly means no morre Devin Harris!

Quote:
» After ranking 27th in the NBA in 3-point shooting, at 32.3 percent, the Jazz acquired three veterans who shot average 38.8 percent in 2011-12 season.
» Mo Williams, Marvin Williams and Randy Foye all shot a higher 3-point percentage than any Jazz player except Raja Bell.

About the Jazz » The Jazz added three veteran players to a team that last year finished 36-30 in lockout shortened 2011-12 season. ... Center Al Jefferson led the Jazz with 19.2 points and 9.6 rebounds last season. ... Mo Williams is expected to make his first start for the Jazz. Utah drafted Williams No. 47 in the 2003 NBA Draft, but he left as a free agent after one season.
About the Warriors » Golden State is coming off of a 23-43 season. ... Five Warriors averaged more than 10 points last year. ... Former Utah Utes Andrew Bogut and Carlon Brown play for the Warriors.

#commentPromo { background-color:#EDEDED; color:#464646; border-top:solid 1px #CCC; border-bottom:solid 1px #CCC; padding:10px; text-align:left; font-size:12px; } #commentPromo td { padding-right:5px; } #commentPromo .topper { padding-bottom:5px; } #commentPromo b { font-size:14px; } #commentPromo a { color:#9A4143; text-decoration:none; } #commentPromo a:hover { text-decoration:underline; }
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #57
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Corbin hasn't revealed which five he'll start, but expected starters Mo Williams (point guard) and Al Jefferson (center) are likely to play after sitting out Saturday's open scrimmage with minor injuries.

"I don't miss games if I can help it. I will most definitely go," Jefferson said at Sunday's practice after revealing he'd slightly hurt his groin. "I wanted to go (Saturday) night, but Coach tells me to do it easy."

Without going into detail, Corbin hinted that he might experiment with player combinations. He wants to see what rotations mesh best.

Marvin Williams and Gordon Hayward have spent most of the camp playing on the same team in scrimmages, so that could offer insight into a possible pairing at the wing spots.

Corbin has raved about Paul Millsap, from his leadership to his fitness level, so it's quite possible the coach will keep the longest-tenured Jazz player as a starter and bring Derrick Favors off the bench.

Then again, the way Corbin has been reluctant to name starters, he could play some mix-and-match throughout the preseason to evaluate on-court chemistry.

Corbin has an "idea" (top secret, of course) about how he plans to distribute minutes tonight. The main players will get some action, but not too much.

"You want to see the other guys and how they mix in with different match-ups," Corbin said. "Can they come off the bench and give you this? Or what group will give you a faster lineup or a defensive lineup?"

The Jazz have until their Halloween season-opener — home against Dallas — to answer their most pressing questions.

"You want to figure that out as soon as you can," Corbin said. "We have a lot of bodies to do it with, but we have to have some guys who play and give some guys some rest."

I'd think Marvin and G would start unless Foye ends up at the one than G should be coming off the bench with him and Burks should start.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #58
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
For now, veteran Jamaal Tinsley is the clear No. 2 point guard. Earl Watson, Harris' backup for most of last season, continues to rehab his surgically repaired knee, so he's been unable to fully participate in camp and won't play tonight at Golden State.

On Saturday, Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin showed he has more options. For a while during the scrimmage, newcomer Randy Foye and second-year guard Alec Burks both saw time at the point.

It could be a preview of things to come at some point in the season. Just in case, Corbin wants both shooting guards to feel comfortable running the offense. Foye, a combo guard, has plenty of NBA point-guard experience, and Burks, a good ballhandler, was put in the position a few times last year.

"It's a long, long season. Guys may get injured," Corbin said. "Plan in case you have to run those situations."

Chris Quinn, a roster long shot from Notre Dame, also played some point-guard minutes in the scrimmage.

Sounds like it's Tinsley's job to lose right now at least til Earl comes back and starts whining again.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #59
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
With the additions of Mo Williams and Marvin Williams, the Jazz are likely to showcase a more fluid, athletic brand of basketball.

"Hopefully we’ll be able to run a lot more," Gordon Hayward said. "Pick the ball up and get in the open court. We’ve got a lot of new guys so hopefully we’ll be able to do that."

With their depth they should be going hard at both ends.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #60
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
In the small sample of the preseason opener, Williams was the kind of veteran player the Jazz hoped they found when they acquired Devin Harris as part of the Deron Williams trade in 2010. Where the Utah offense was often plodding and repetitive for a season-and-a-half with Harris, it was interesting and fast-paced Monday night in front of an announced 14,571 at Oracle Arena, although, thanks to clumsy plays and miscommunications, it often resulted in turnovers (the Jazz had 18) rather than baskets.

Also talk of pick and rolls. Sounds like the Jazz offense of old might be back!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: