Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Default Re: What do you realistically expect from Carmelo Anthony this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
Carmelo Anthony is just an inefficient version of Adrian Dantley. He is a giant ball-stopper, he is inefficient, and he does nothing else to impact the game other than score and score with low percentage shots.

Melo is sadly an underachiever.

In the playoffs he's been inefficient. Regular season I'd say he's been inconsistent. He's shot anywhere from 43% to 49%. Think his average is like 45 or 46% which isn't spectacular but just as good as the majority of this era's swingman.

People forget his rebounding too. Dude can board for his position. Grabs those offensive boards well when he bullies down low.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
Ikill
i be killah swag

back to 2011 level probably a bit better because the whole trade drama and a few injuries still limited him. So 25/7/4 48% fg 57% ts
Ikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
SacJB Shady
College superstar

I never expect much from Anthony except a bunch of fg attempts and some points. He is not a true superstar
SacJB Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Ikill
i be killah swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
Carmelo Anthony is just an inefficient version of Adrian Dantley. He is a giant ball-stopper, he is inefficient, and he does nothing else to impact the game other than score and score with low percentage shots.

Melo is sadly an underachiever.
Most high scoring stars are ball stoppers but Melo has more bad games than other stars so he's more known for ball stopping.
Ikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
That has been at the top of the league in terms of making big plays late in games for basically his entire career. One of the better rebounders at his position. For a SF he's can get others involved too. Not at a high level or anything but not so bad to say that all he does is score.

25\6\3 for his career while never missing the playoffs is nothing to shake your head at.

You're right but it puts him with other high scoring small forwards like Dominique, A.D., Bernard, English, etc. not the superstars of the game.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

14/4/2 on 32%.

He'll fall faster than your mom's panties on payday at the local mine.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #22
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

I expect great things....maybe not statistically, but effectiveness. Maybe 25/6.5/3.5 on 46%, but will fit those stats within the best team he's played on in the NBA.

A roster that can not only spread the floor with one guy, like a billups or A.I. before him. Not a team trying to fit in a Wesley Persons off waivers to be the team's only shooter going into the postseason, or a team with JR Smith as the only outside threat (and he has to come off the bench, because he's inconsistent) A team that can have multiple options from the perimeter, and a legit second option in Amare, not Kenyon Martin, or A.I. On his way out of the league.

For the first time, he's got an offense properly built around his strengths, and I think he'll take off
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #23
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

23/8/4 on 44%

he's so good at scoring but I've never understood how a guy with his size and athleticism has been so bad on D. More than anything D is about effort and how can you not give 110% when you're getting millions? I play great D on dudes at the park for free. I've always wanted melo to dominate and be great but he's never but his whole self behind winning.

the only problem on O is long 2's. either make more or take less. hopefully a switch to pf will remedy that. I think that with Chandler at the 5 and melo at the 4 the knicks can make some noise in the playofss but so much cap space is tied up in amare that they cant NOT play him

Last edited by ralph_i_el : 10-08-2012 at 02:35 AM.
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #24
Fudge
ISH Bully

24/7/3 on shitty perentages
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #25
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
A.I. On his way out of the league.

A.I actually had one of the best seasons of his career with Denver. 3rd lowest tpg, 2nd highest FG% of his entire career. Put up 26\7\3 with 2 steals and looked like the usual A.I. Kinda why Detroit was willing to give up Billups whom than went on to be Melo's 2nd banana, not K-Mart. Wes Persons barely got any burn that year and if my memory serves me correctly he actually shot pretty well for them from distance

Even in the earlier years you could probably argue 'Dre was just as good as Martin if not better.

Either way I disagree this is the best team put around Carmelo. Melo always had talent around him. Just wasn't going to upset those teams and his inefficiency in the playoffs at times is what helped contribute to those Nuggets teams rolling over in 4-5 games. However he's finally out of the dreaded Western Conference. Now he needs to get his shit together and get NY home court advantage which is a realistic possibility and than face a team that's beatable.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #26
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

Quote:
A.I actually had one of the best seasons of his career with Denver. 3rd lowest tpg, 2nd highest FG% of his entire career. Put up 26\7\3 with 2 steals and looked like the usual A.I. Kinda why Detroit was willing to give up Billups whom than went on to be Melo's 2nd banana, not K-Mart. Wes Persons barely got any burn that year and if my memory serves me correctly he actually shot pretty well for them from distance

Even in the earlier years you could probably argue 'Dre was just as good as Martin if not better.

Either way I disagree this is the best team put around Carmelo. Melo always had talent around him. Just wasn't going to upset those teams and his inefficiency in the playoffs at times is what helped contribute to those Nuggets teams rolling over in 4-5 games. However he's finally out of the dreaded Western Conference. Now he needs to get his shit together and get NY home court advantage which is a realistic possibility and than face a team that's beatable.

^this is all true about AI (but idk that this applies to melo)

dont disrespect the answer
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #27
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

I never expect much. I just have no respect much for one dimensional players. I still remember his rookie season they tried showed Anthony Scottie Pippen Videos on defensive...obviously it never took after all this time. I can just never respect a player who is one dimensional and never will. Carmelo Anthony is a scorer, a rich mans' Glen Rice and that is about it. If scoring is all you care about than he's your guy but to me the game is about a lot more than that. To each his own.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #28
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:

A.I. probably still to this day has something left, but doesn't change the fact that he couldn't adjust his game to what teams needed. Yeah, he put up stats in Denver, of course he would...Denver was the most talent he'd ever played with an he wasn't the focus of the defense AND he still got to jack up shots. But, he should've adjusted his game to make guys better instead of trying to win another scoring title. The Billups trade was such a success, because it was really a less is more move. Yes, he was needed as a second scorer on that team, but he found his points within the offense or open looks in transition and provided what the team has needed since Melo was drafted....consistent 3pt shooting.

And at defending Wesley Persons (wasn't that his last year, and how many open shots did he hit in the Clippers series?).

You can name off all the talent you want that was in Denver, but it was usually ill fitting over reaches. Bringing Kmart in as a second option, while playing him for a year while he needed surgery the summer they signed him, and if Miller was just as good as the 2nd option....well that's sad. Miller is an ill fitting pg period. He can't really dictate pace, except to slow it down, can't space the floor, doesn't really break down defenses, he's a game manager who can get you a few cheap assists and score out of the offenses flow.

Honestly, the most talented team in Denver that Melo had was the one he left in 2010. That was a top 3 team in the West IMO if Melo applied himself. Still small upfront though. And that was a team starting Kenyon Martin at pf, a year before the Kmart we saw last season...the Kmart looking for a contract worth more than the minimum, and ole 6'8 12ppg and 7 rpg Nene at Center. But they had depth as Afflalo was finally developed, and Ty Lawson was ready to take over the starting role (of course dumbass Karl wouldn't make that move) but was a nice bench spark along with J.R. AND Harrington was great frontcourt depth.

But there were 2 main flaws in Denver. 1. It took about 6 or 7 years to find even 1 consistent outside shooter that deserves playing time in the NBA. Vo Leonard is not a NBA championship team's starting shooting guard.

2. George Karl couldn't consistently get good defensive play out of his team. Karl and the media can blame Melo all you want, but let's get real here. And Carmelo wasn't on last year's team.

Last edited by Y2Gezee : 10-08-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #29
icewill36
Local High School Star

depends on amare really... if they still cant get enough spacing hes probably not going to shoot that well from the field. if amare can regain his midrange touch, and be ok with sacrificing a lot for the good of the team then melo can have a great year, and the knicks will be a problem.
icewill36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #30
blablabla

27 points per game
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: