Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Default Last Resort Discussion Thread: Plot discussion spoilers, etc

This is to discuss the new ABC Thursday night show Last Resort.

There will be spoilers. Go here for a general discussion and to see what other people are thinking about the show. It's definitely worth checking out the first two episodes. It's got the potential to be a great show.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 10-05-2012 at 12:03 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Default Re: Last Resort Discussion Thread: Plot discussion spoilers, etc

Nudes of lacie. I posted my thoughts in other thread, i'd copy n paste but im using phone...
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

I'm really liking the look of the show. That island looks amazing.

Second episode comments. I did not expect the Spetnatz. That seems to be a whole giant new aspect to the story.

However, a doubt started to creep in. Didn't we just nuke Pakistan? Wouldn't the world be going apeshit? The global aspects to the story and all the possibilities you can imagine just seem to beyond the budget of a TV show.

Also what do you think the timeframe for this story is going to be? What do you do for a second season?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
I'm really liking the look of the show. That island looks amazing.

Second episode comments. I did not expect the Spetnatz. That seems to be a whole giant new aspect to the story.

However, a doubt started to creep in. Didn't we just nuke Pakistan? Wouldn't the world be going apeshit? The global aspects to the story and all the possibilities you can imagine just seem to beyond the budget of a TV show.

Also what do you think the timeframe for this story is going to be? What do you do for a second season?
I didnt expect the spetnaz ether but it fits in with the story(they have a highly desirable tech on the sub, of course good ol commies will try at it). Im also thinking the chick responsible.for putting in that tech will help out the captain in major ways.

But yeah, for having nuked an entire country to pieces, the world seems rather peaceful. I think the unraveling of mysteries will keep it going for a while if they dont kick the show to curb which i would be very mad about. Sort of like lost, did u watch that show? They alernated between past events and present events to unfold the story.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
I didnt expect the spetnaz ether but it fits in with the story(they have a highly desirable tech on the sub, of course good ol commies will try at it). Im also thinking the chick responsible.for putting in that tech will help out the captain in major ways.

But yeah, for having nuked an entire country to pieces, the world seems rather peaceful. I think the unraveling of mysteries will keep it going for a while if they dont kick the show to curb which i would be very mad about. Sort of like lost, did u watch that show? They alernated between past events and present events to unfold the story.

Also when the Spetsnaz first got there and you though they were SEALS, I thought, is an American TV network really going to show them killing SEALS on TV? That would not have gone over well. Then when they revealed the were Spetsnaz, I was like, OK, now they can slaughter them and people will be cheering. Notice how the villains so far are faceless.

The defense contractor chick character is hilarious. She's just the Queen of Exposition. It's like what Game of Thrones does, we need throw a lot of information at the audience, but it will bore the hell out of them, so we'll do it while the characters have sex.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 10-05-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Also the treatment of POW's scene was a little heavy-handed, but I didn't mind it. They practically had Andre Braugher talking directly into the camera.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Watched the first episode.

This show seems like it can be great. Absolutely great! My only fear is that it tries to get too bloated in an effort to run longer.

Basically what I'm saying is that the creators and creative team can only be hindered by the network trying to squeeze this. But if this show is given free reign to tell it's story... it should be awesome.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
LakersReign
Banned

Loved the first episode. Haven't watched Episode 2 yet. The defense contractor dimepiece in the red dress....HOT!!! Another one of my favorite parts is the bar scene, between the island druglord and the Special Forces dude. "The big one gets it first. The other one looks like he needs two to take him down, so two he gets. You....I'm going to shoot you in the neck." Priceless. My kind of show. It has great actors, a real world plot, and great action. Been looking for a show to replace "24," seems like I found it. Hopefully ABC doesn't pull another "Flash Forward," on us.
LakersReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #9
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Watched episode 2. They really seem to just be laying seeds for a massive tangled web of plot points. I'm excited about that. I am excited about who knows what. Who did what and why, in the first episode you see the news report about Impeachment and all the officers standing trial... why? And what does that have to do with the Colorado?

But the plot thread I personally am most excited about is Captain Marcus Chaplin. Thus far he seems to be a serious force (played beautifully by Braugher. It's good to see him back, I always felt like he had potential if he landed the right role). His actions always end up making sense for the good of those around him.

But you see a hint of megalomania. A hint of maybe him beginning down a dangerous path. I will be excited to see what his character does. How he develops, and what decisions he'll make.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
LakersReign
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Watched episode 2. They really seem to just be laying seeds for a massive tangled web of plot points. I'm excited about that. I am excited about who knows what. Who did what and why, in the first episode you see the news report about Impeachment and all the officers standing trial... why? And what does that have to do with the Colorado?

But the plot thread I personally am most excited about is Captain Marcus Chaplin. Thus far he seems to be a serious force (played beautifully by Braugher. It's good to see him back, I always felt like he had potential if he landed the right role). His actions always end up making sense for the good of those around him.

But you see a hint of megalomania. A hint of maybe him beginning down a dangerous path. I will be excited to see what his character does. How he develops, and what decisions he'll make.

Yeah, glad I'm not the only one who saw that. You can see the groundwork already laid out for it, being that the XO looks up to him. But you can also see that sometimes even he doubts the Captain. The end of Episode 1 is where i saw that. Where the XO was like "we did all this to try to get home." and the captain was like "maybe this IS our home now." It's all sort of like "Crimson Tide' with Gene Hackman and Denzel, where the Captain has absolute say, and the XO is torn between obeying orders and doing what's right. Hopefully they let this show grow and it'll be interesting to see where it goes.
LakersReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

The last two or three times i went to the movies they had previews for this show and i wasn't into it at all. Actually got annoyed at how often they showed the preview before films.

But this thread got me to check it out and i actually dig it. I'm not blown away just yet, but i will keep up with it to see where it goes.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Episode 3: I like how they started planted doubt about Braugher's motives and stability. Did you catch the last seconds of that episode?

The pacing of this show is going to an issue. They keep opening up more and more threads, but you just keep wondering how and when each gets resolved.
The preview for next episode looks amazing.

I also like that they gave a glimpse of a bad guy....that bald guy we saw for a second.

They also keep using the themes and language of The War on Terror. First there was the issue of how to treat POW's, then it was "preemptive nuclear war" and "time and place of my choosing."

I don't know how they are going to keep that brig protected.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 10-12-2012 at 03:17 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: