Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Only 6 corporations own the Media in our country..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
Yea but for some reason nothing is credible unless it's reported by CNN.

And when the mainstream media does report something it's not suppose to...
It's forgotten.

http://articles.cnn.com/2001-09-16/u...-omar?_s=PM:US

]

They report things like that once, never mention it again, keep it stuffed out of focus on the website, etc. And then spend 30 minutes during prime time discussing whether we need to spend 100 million or 101 million on some jobs bill.

The mainstream media, like the politicians themselves, are only about the illusion of choice. Everything they do is through the prism that the state is almighty. This guy supports X level of government, this guy supports Y, but at the end of the day, they both believe the government has a legal and moral right to do what they do. It's just a matter of degrees.

Government has become the new religion for Americans, and the mainstream media is Church.

It's like if the slaves had news. One news site says the master should beat them 10 times a day, the other says 7. One says the slaves should be allowed 1 book per year, the other says 2. And the people who say the slaves should just be free are called "nuts."

Last edited by joe : 11-02-2012 at 01:15 AM.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #17
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
The mainstream media, like the politicians themselves, are only about the illusion of choice. Everything they do is through the prism that the state is almighty. This guy supports X level of government, this guy supports Y, but at the end of the day, they both believe the government has a legal and moral right to do what they do. It's just a matter of degrees.

Joe... Are you familiar with the Straw Man Illusion?

It's some very deep $hit.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #18
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

I'm not gonna dive into the politics issue. I have not really paid any kind of attention to this stuff at all. conspiracy theories and government controlling the news is entirely plausible to me but i have yet to find some reason to care.

I only really have an issue with clearchannel and their control of radio stations and controlling how top hits are portrayed in this country but i dont really listen to FM radio anymore really nor do i care about the current music.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #19
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
The Jews?

jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #20
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Joe... Are you familiar with the Straw Man Illusion?

It's some very deep $hit.

Are you saying my post contained the strawman fallacy, or are you referring to this? http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Strawman_theory

Never heard of the 2nd one until now. And I'm not sure exactly how it applies to what I said, if you care to explain. If that's what you meant.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #21
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Never heard of the 2nd one until now. And I'm not sure exactly how it applies to what I said, if you care to explain. If that's what you meant.

If I care to explain?

Very hard to do... but it's all very real... and very interesting....

You're gonna have to research it on your own.

Keywords to google/youtube together:

Strawman/ Freeman/ Sovereign/ Capitis Diminutio Maxima...

It's extremely complicated...

maybe this video helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptHQu68MdMs
The Freeman and Strawman Explained
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #22
joe
College superstar

Quote:
If I care to explain?

Very hard to do... but it's all very real... and very interesting....

You're gonna have to research it on your own.

Keywords to google/youtube together:

Strawman/ Freeman/ Sovereign/ Capitis Diminutio Maxima...

It's extremely complicated...

maybe this video helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptHQu68MdMs
The Freeman and Strawman Explained

I have a lott of thoughts on that video.

I think he's right when he talks about the sphere of humanity being larger than the sphere of law. I've always felt that way in general. It's maddening that just by being born on this specific patch of dirt we call America, I am subject to laws I never agreed to- and would never agree to if given the choice. Having my personal freedom restricted by law is a terribly uncomfortable feeling.

But at the same time, you'll drive yourself crazy thinking about it too much. I do, anyway. The disparity between my core beliefs and the world around me is too great- the more I focus on it, the worse I feel.

I still delve into that stuff from time to time, but to me economics is so much nicer. It's just as interesting, but not as anxiety-producing. I can still point out the faults of our cultural rulers, but it doesn't constantly remind me that I'm being ruled ;)
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #23
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
There is a connection there. It's not as blatant as it is with banking or health care, it's a more subtle relationship. The government gives the media access, and in return the media doesn't go all the way with exposing the governments dirtiest deeds.

No matter what mainstream news channel you're watching, you will rarely (if ever) see extensive coverage of things like the NDAA, the insane lawsuits the EPA files against citizens, the murder occurring overseas, etc etc etc. I can't even watch mainstream news anymore, they basically cover the most unimportant actions taken by the government and leave out the interesting stuff. "What suit did Obama wear to the debate? Find out at 11!" Non sense.

Pretty much this. Even with the debates that CNN hosted they recycle the same old garbage questions and never ask anything of importance. The only issues they seem to discuss is abortion and gay rights, highly controversial issues that have no importance for the average american.. But people seem to be extremely interested in those subjects. They don't ask about our foreign policy, or about the FED reserve, or about dealing with the banksters, or how to create real job growth, or dealing with the corporations/financial elite, etc.. Because they can't as those kinds of people own the media.

And you are right about their coverage.. It's the biggest piece of propaganda crap I've ever seen. They always talk about terrorism in the middle east, terrorism domestically, terrorists killing X amount of people in a certain place, it's used to brainwash the population to think there actually isn't a threat when there isn't..

BTW, I generally watch Russia Today for my news.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
I don't think the number of media outlets is the problem as much as their connections to the government and the biases that stem from those connections. 4 nonbiased media companies would be fine.

Owning your own business is overrated, nothing like being a slave to a huge corporation, minimum wage, while the money that went to dozens and dozens now go to only 4, sitting still on off-shore accounts, doing wonders to the economy.

I can see it already, middle of the third world, not between countries, but between corporations and Joe will be like " That's fine, we got five corporations in all the word, in the end of the war there will be only 3, more than enough... I work 20 hours a day, i'm starving and i will be killed soon because i'm to weak to work, but hey... we don't have governments any more!! YEAH!!!

Last edited by Blue&Orange : 11-02-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris

INJUSTIÇA!
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

the trouble is the medium. those graphics are mostly concerned with television. the world is definitely moving in the direction of visual information delivery systems. it's been a blessing in many ways, primarily artistic, but it's unquestionably a curse on news dissemination. there's just no way to substantiate and thoroughly examine the complex issues of our time, even with 24 hours every day.

print isn't dead yet, and at least you americans should be thankful that your most highly distributed newspapers are still largely independent. they have problems of their own of course. not so much with hyperbole/straight propaganda like the network news stations, their problem is a narrow scope and a strong tendency to omit alternative viewpoints. along with their collusion with elites, which joe is right about, just not in exactly the way he thinks he is. but at the very least papers like the times, post, tribune, etc have credibility on their side, are largely reliable in their fact checking, and don't sugarcoat their shit like cnn and the rest.

the differences between print news and tv news are beyond count, but the most significant one is that television by its very nature subordinates substance to style. with specific regards to the personality in charge of telling you the news. whereas in print the byline is just a random name that means little, in tv the dealbreaking attributes for an anchor/pundit aren't intelligence or integrity first and foremost, but instead shit like charisma and appearance and rhetorical skills take center stage. which totally zaps a large percentage of potential public dissidents, folks trying to resist the system from within. already a virtually impossible task.

hell for the same reason -- the shift to a 'visual economy' -- politics have undergone a very similar phenomenon. at least at the federal level anyway.

Quote:
The internet is the great equalizer in this situation. With sites like reddit, millions of blogs, access to other news outlets like BBC, etc. you can get a huge variety of opinions.
and this here, which is supposed to be the great answer to the problem of a dying news industry, in reality solves nothing. or at least very little. the thought that we can democratize news reporting is indistinguishable from the idea that anybody can report the news and do a good job. which is complete bull. it takes a ton of hard research and very stringent critical analysis, along with a barrel of skepticism, to fit the small stories properly into their broader trends. the result of the blogosphere is collective adhd. 90% of it is re-worded regurgitation anyway. and it's rare to find good bloggers who can successfully survey the forest rather than going microscopic on each individual tree.

bottom line: im pretty pessimistic lol
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The media monopoly has been discussed since the 80s and has only gotten worse. If only there were an open forum that anyone could access to freely discuss these topics and get news and information from a limitless number of resources...
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfyMAYc3XtY
How Arabs Own Everything.... by Alex Jones

Alex Jones.

Did any of you hear Joe Rogan's impersonation of Alex Jones on his latest podcast? So accurate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsqF8z5NV0&t=19m15s
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #29
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

do video games count as "media"?

if so thread title is wrong
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: