Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Is it too early to call Derrick Williams a bust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
I don't think it's too early to call him a bust. Does he have a chance to become a good player? Sure. Has he been a total bust thus far in his career? Yep.

It's not like he's 18 years old either, he was supposed to be an immediate contributor for the Wolves.

I agree.

Kwame Brown is still a useful player in the NBA after 10+ years, but he's most definitely a bust. When you're a top 3 pick, the minimum expectation should be regular All-Star. I don't ever see Derrick Williams getting to that level. And he doesn't have anything to fall back on like Kwame does (post defense) that could keep him in the NBA as a role player for 10 years. There are any number of tweener forwards out there just like him.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #32
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
This is why David Kahn sucks.
Kahn is pretty much the same guy as Morey, but many people seem to think that Morey is a genius -- even though his team isn't nearly as good as Kahn's, even with the injuries to two starters.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #33
Owl
Local High School Star

Owl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this board

Not too early to call him a dissapointment or to suggest he shouldn't have been picked where he was. But to me bust connotes having no game, a guy who shouldn't be in a teams rotation (so by that standard a guy like Shawn Bradley who was clearly poor value for his draft slot, doesn't constitute a bust). At this point I would say he could still have value to a team, at some point down the line anyway.

But his play in the NBA thus far has him on the path to bust-dom. He really needs to get his jumper going if he wants to be a contributor at this level as his shooting percentages have been terrible, as his ability to draw fouls (his only notable offensive skill last year, as his passing, like his shooting was awful) will be negated if teams feel confident sagging off him.

So I would say on balance that he's presently on a bad track, but he could yet add some value. Here's a list of players who had a worse first year by two advanced stat measures. You'll note that whilst most were indeed useless a few became all-stars including Glen Rice, Deron Williams, The Van Arsdale twins, Norm Van Lier, Richie Guerin, Jeff Hornacek, Kiki Vandeweghe, Bill Bradley, Jeff Malone and Curtis Rowe, plus other players with value like White Chocolate, Tom Boerwinkle, scorers like Andrea Bargnani and Dana Barros.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...=&of fset=100

Looking at those above it would seem his best chance to become useful is as a scorer if he can up his percentages.

A cause for optimism is that %s are the stats that fluctuate most and many rookies shoot unimpressive percentages. Still, Williams has a signifcant mountain to climb if he wants to be more than someone at the very edge of the rotation.
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #34
FireDavidKahn
Decent college freshman

FireDavidKahn is considered somewhat coolFireDavidKahn is considered somewhat cool

Williams is garbage. He is a poor mans Beasley.
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Kahn is pretty much the same guy as Morey, but many people seem to think that Morey is a genius -- even though his team isn't nearly as good as Kahn's, even with the injuries to two starters.

Morey didn't get so many top 10 picks.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #36
Whoah10115
Linja Status

The guy should be playing on a team that runs, with a C that can cover him. He's a thick guy. There's no reason he shouldn't play PF. Same goes for Beasley, tho they're not the same player.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #37
DukeDelonte13

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

too early to declare a bust. And most GMs would have taken Williams second.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #38
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

Iso players don't fit in the Wolves offense.

I think he will eventually be traded and become a star on another team. It's not going to happen here though, especially with Love and Cunningham stealing all his minutes.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #39
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Didn't realize he guided them. Thank you.

I forgot you are a troll with 5000 posts in a year. Sorry.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #40
chips93

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
This is why David Kahn sucks.

He would have drafted either Kyrie or Williams, depending on who Cleveland selected.

That's like going to the store and buying something you already have, because it's the most expensive but on sale for the same price as what you actually want. Which makes sense, if you maximize its value and then sell it on ebay.

Kahn doesn't know how to use ebay.

come on man, williams was the consensus no2 pick

every gm would have picked him second, and one or two might have taken him 1st

nobody back then was close to irving and williams. what you wanna take enes kanter? based off of some grainy HS tapes?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #41
RandomBalla55
Local High School Star

RandomBalla55 has decent reputation

derrick williams might be a bust but the dude was an absolute beast at Arizona without a doubt.

the problem is minny hoarded PGs and SFs like they're going out of style but he is indeed pretty flawed for the NBA.
RandomBalla55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #42
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
come on man, williams was the consensus no2 pick

every gm would have picked him second, and one or two might have taken him 1st

nobody back then was close to irving and williams. what you wanna take enes kanter? based off of some grainy HS tapes?

Yeah, so where did I say they shouldn't have taken him 2nd?

But he wasn't suited to the team. He has value and that value should have been shopped.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #43
FireDavidKahn
Decent college freshman

FireDavidKahn is considered somewhat coolFireDavidKahn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBalla55
derrick williams might be a bust but the dude was an absolute beast at Arizona without a doubt.

the problem is minny hoarded PGs and SFs like they're going out of style but he is indeed pretty flawed for the NBA.
The problem has nothing to do with who Minny signed. Derrick Williams is a bust because Derrick Williams is not a good basketball player. He, surprisingly, is one of the worst finishers in the league and has no jump shot.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #44
FireDavidKahn
Decent college freshman

Quote:

But he wasn't suited to the team. He has value and that value should have been shopped.
This guy gets it. Williams should have been traded before he ever played 1 game for the Wolves. He made no sense for the Wolves considering Love is on the team.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #45
chips93

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

my bad, i misunderstood your post

chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: