Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

KungFuJoe has decent reputation
Default Best in game dunks

Dunno if another thread like this was already created and my user rights don't allow me to search so my bad if I'm bringing up old subjects...

Just thought I'd start this so people could share their best dunks in a high school, league or streetball game. I'm older now and I can't even dunk anymore but I like to think back to the basketball memories I had when I was younger.

To give you some context, I'm half white/asian and at the time I was 6'1", 190lbs, with roughly a 34" vert.

First dunk of mine that I still remember...

Playing a local open gym, I had a put back dunk off a teammate's missed three pointer from the corner. I came running in for the rebound from the opposite side, perfect bounce off the side of the rim, a guy was already positioned for the rebound, I knock him right to the ground (total over the back but this is park ball so who cares), and get the two handed put back dunk. Had to hang on the rim cuz he was lying right underneath me.
KungFuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Re: Best in game dunks

I never dunked in a game (I was inconsistent) until recently. Im 5'11, like 155lbs 19yrs old.

It was a regular pickup full court game in the gym but everybody was watching so it felt bigger than that. Anyway...

My teammate got the rebound I was leaking out and he passed it to me and I had a defender right on my tail. Without even thinking I took one dribble gathered quickly and just jumped. I got up high and dunked it in while the guy tried blocking it from the back and everybody was "ooing". Great feeling, especially for a first in game dunk.

Next game I have two more dunks, last one I cocked it back and hung on the rim a bit.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
I never dunked in a game (I was inconsistent) until recently. Im 5'11, like 155lbs 19yrs old.

It was a regular pickup full court game in the gym but everybody was watching so it felt bigger than that. Anyway...

My teammate got the rebound I was leaking out and he passed it to me and I had a defender right on my tail. Without even thinking I took one dribble gathered quickly and just jumped. I got up high and dunked it in while the guy tried blocking it from the back and everybody was "ooing". Great feeling, especially for a first in game dunk.

Next game I have two more dunks, last one I cocked it back and hung on the rim a bit.

Nice. :) You will NEVER forget that dunk by the way. Ever. I still remember my first in game dunk. It wasn't anything special. All alone fast break, went up off one foot and dunked it in. Ended up getting another one the same game.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
Nice. :) You will NEVER forget that dunk by the way. Ever. I still remember my first in game dunk. It wasn't anything special. All alone fast break, went up off one foot and dunked it in. Ended up getting another one the same game.

Congrats . Your right I probably wont forget it, it happened like 5 days ago and I think of it daily especially since I haven't played since lol. I wish I was more confident in my jumping ability when I was in hs.

The thing is, now I want to dunk more and not just do regular two hand dunks. Im trying to learn how to dunk off 1 foot.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

two handed putback over a dude my only ever putback dunk
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

When thinking best, one of the first dunks that comes to mind came about two years ago at an open gym, when I was about 26 years old. One of my teammates shot a relatively flat three pointer from the right wing and the stars just seemed to perfectly align. I crashed the glass from the top of the key, the shot ricocheted off the iron and backboard, then sprung quickly off the front of the goal.

I didn't really have a lot of time to think. I just planted with two feet, took off, and extended my right arm, hoping for the best. The ball landed perfectly in my palm and due to the accelerated manner with which it came off the rim, the entire tip process was sped up. I hammered the cleanest, most powerful and authoritative tip dunk of my life.

The game shut down for 10 minutes while folks gathered what'd just occurred. One player left the court to sit down for a bit, just shaking his head. Most others were just laughing, and one player who'd made a habit of throwing me wacky alley-oops through the years (of which I'd usually subsequently botch) absolved me of all previous wrong doing after witnessing my putback.

Through my years, I've put down a lot of dunks (and tip dunks even), but there may have only been two that felt like out of body experiences: my very first dunk, and the tip I described above. I honestly could not believe I was capable of pulling off something that nasty. That one resonated for days.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 11-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

I got another one. Open gym at fullerton st. Had a guy on the other team that was rough housing everyone. He was one of those bulky awkward guys that thinks its a game of football. I got mad and told him to quit fouling. He says something back and switches with the guy guarding me. Now he was way stockier than me but probably 5 inches shorter and a helluva lot slower. On the first play with him guarding me I get the ball at the wing, cross him up left then right and drive to the basket. The whole time he's crossed up and doesn't know what to do so be just backs up and stumbles a little. I give him a shoulder bump and push him back even more and before I knew it I was right by the rim. I go straight up and dunk it right over him. I just gave him the Kobe glare and walked back the other way. He didn't say shit to me the rest of the game.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I heard you guys got some good runs going at fullerton o:

Don't worry I'll post in this thread as soon as I throw down my first banger. Hopefully by Junior year ssn or aau the summer before.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Two stick out in my mind. Both came in high school when I could probably dunk at my best, and was lightest. I'm 6'2 or 6'3 btw. Not really sure. Somewhere around that mark.
One was a tip back slam from a free throw. The guy next to me seemed to blank out and go in late to box out, while I just took off. Like most in here, it was a perfect bounce off the ring, and I jammed it back in, with a late box out coming, hence me hanging and leaving my nuts in the defenders face. lol...

My masterpiece, and something I will never ever forget in my life, was actually called an offensive foul. I honestly couldn't care now, and didn't care then.
I've always been a one footed jumper, and absolutely hated coming in from the right side for dunks, since I'm right handed. I like finishing middle.
On this occasion though, I somehow get a fast break with me, and the opposition 6'6 or 6'7 center who was blocking everyone that game (even our 6'8 center).
He had a tonne of blocks that game, so he tracks back to the key baiting me to go up since he probably wanted another to look good. I just end up taking off of two feet, gain a bit of leverage as my off elbow hits him in the neck/shoulder area, and **** back the ball a little to avoid his arm (ala Vince on Alonzo , obviously not as far back as Vince) and ram the shit home. The sound on the ring was deafening; just a giant clap, and the arrogant 6'7 center is on the ground from me pushing off. I saw the ref call an offensive foul straight away, but I was too busy screaming like a maniac to care, and I just remember my 6'8 center on our team coming over and slapping me on the chest not believing what he saw.
Felt fantastic. Only bummer was, there wasn't a big crowd, since it was just a regular season game, and not a cup game, where we'd usually get a lot of the school into the gymnasium to watch.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

Another one I gotta mention...

When I was in my early twenties, I played in a league over at Veteran's gym in Carson, CA. It was a NICE sports complex and also happened to be the Clippers training gym. One day, during a game of mine, the Clippers walk in and sit down to watch. I had three dunks that game, one being off a steal in mid court that ended with a double pump reverse dunk. As I come trotting back the other way, I pass by the bleachers and Brent Barry (this should pretty much tell you how long ago this was) calls out, "Nice dunk!". I believe this was around the time he had just won the dunk contest as well. Man, I told EVERYBODY about that. :)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
Another one I gotta mention...

When I was in my early twenties, I played in a league over at Veteran's gym in Carson, CA. It was a NICE sports complex and also happened to be the Clippers training gym. One day, during a game of mine, the Clippers walk in and sit down to watch. I had three dunks that game, one being off a steal in mid court that ended with a double pump reverse dunk. As I come trotting back the other way, I pass by the bleachers and Brent Barry (this should pretty much tell you how long ago this was) calls out, "Nice dunk!". I believe this was around the time he had just won the dunk contest as well. Man, I told EVERYBODY about that. :)
Ha, that's awesome.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: