Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation
Default Lineups and Decision Making

2:00 AM and bored, decided to write out some thoughts on our lowly Toronto Raptors. I'd say I've caught 80% of our games so far this year, but interest has been getting lower lately as we've gone to shit. Here are some things I'd love to see since this season is bordering on a lost cause. I realize this will likely never happen, for reasons which are essentially all non-basketball.

Our Starting Lineup

PG - Lowry --- Kyle Lowry is our best player and leading rebounder through nearly a quarter of the season, our point guard, he is a great rebounder for a guard, but that's embarassing. Lowry has essentially been everything I thought he'd be, really pleased with him. I do question if we'll ever be good while he's productive, but for now, I'll just enjoy his play.

SG - Derozan --- Demar Derozan, atrocious contract, I'll give him credit for clearly trying to live up to it, but I'm afraid it's just never going to happen. There is a serious issue when the guy is a supposed "gym rat" and there are still huge fundamental flaws in his game. But he does seem to care, so it's tough to really tear him apart.

SF - Ross --- Terrence Ross, why not? I don't get it. We suck, we're playing people off the street over our "NBA ready" 1st rounder? Even if we disregard his NBA readiness, is he actually that much worse? Why bury him when we're going nowhere?

PF - Davis --- Ed Davis, similar thought, why not? I've actually been pretty impressed with Davis is his time, 6/5 in 15 minutes versus Bargnani loafing around for 35 minutes per game. Davis has been bringing some energy, his game is limited, but god damn, reward the effort, play with some fire, see what you've got with him with an extended chance before he's gone.

CT - Jonas --- Jonas Valanciunas, outside of Kyle Lowry, the only bright spot in this organization. Naturally, our coach (GM?) finds a way to bury him inexplicably. Let the kid play big minutes until he fouls out of every game, he needs to learn.

6th man: Bargnani - because, face it, it'd be a god damn miracle if we could even get Colangelo to admit this much. He may even be somewhat decent in the "Nick Young, Ben Gordon, Lou Williams, etc" chucker 2 guard role, he plays like one.

7th: Calderon - why is he still here? Should have been dealt ages ago. Respect the player, can be effective in the right situation, but he does nothing for us. If Calderon isn't dealt for a young piece by the deadline, I may lose my mind.

8/9: Amir Johnson/Mickael Pietrus? - Ugh. Amir is fine. I guess Pietrus spells the swing spots. I'd never play anyone on our team beyond this 8-9 man rotation.

Decision Making: Quick tangent from tonight's game versus Denver. We're down 3, five seconds left on the clock - we trot out a lineup (I believe) of Kyle Lowry, Jose Calderon, Demar Derozan, Terrence Ross, Andrea Bargnani. So, what would appear to be our 4 best shooters and our top scorer. Somehow, despite in my mind every option on the floor being better to take the game tying three, Demar Derozan gets the shot. The same guy who is a lifetime 22% 3PT shooter and has zero range on his jumper. I just don't get this, how does this happen? These are professional coaches.

Final Thoughts: I realize my proposed lineup isn't a quality NBA lineup. In fact, it's an awful NBA lineup. They'd really struggle to score, they can't really space the floor unless Ross finds his jumper. But atleast they are young, they play with energy, they potentially could develop into something. It's better than running out old bums who have no future and no hope in hell of leading us anywhere significant.

And that is actually the major problem with the Toronto Raptors and Bryan Colangelo. Bryan Colangelo is a human being, with a million dollar job, he wants to keep that million dollar job, let's be honest, who wouldn't? I don't think Colangelo is a smart GM, but clearly, he's also just doing anything he can to save his ass. It's been that way for several years, but our ownership is too god damn inept to actually do the right thing and clean house. Why? Because their intentions are questionnable themselves. Are they seriously interested in winning or are they content just collecting a profit? If our ownership never demands a well run franchise, why should we expect one? And that is really the most depressing reality of this team. A quality owner would have bulldozed everyone long ago and brought in someone else to try over, a complete rebuild, but current ownership is satisfied with a patchwork piece of shit team, and our general manager is happy to provide it in order to keep his job. Until it's made evident half assing won't be tolerated, I'm not sure we can really expect any progress.

It's a seriously depressing time to be a fan of the Toronto Raptors, because there is no bright future to cling too, no collective vision to all rally behind, it's just a mess of shit, puke and piss mashed together on a basketball court.

Thanks if you read this far. The End.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Lineups and Decision Making

*starts slow clap*

I had to get myself a 10 game blue jays flex pack this week just to get the taste of the Raptors' ass out of my mouth. The worst part of it is that management clearly doesn't care about the quality of the team so I'm finding less of a reason to care myself.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

As much as I'd like to see it happen, Ed Davis will never start as long as Bargnani is here. Bargnani will continue to start and get big minutes regardless of his play. It's just the way it is, unfortunately.

As for Ross? Sure, start him. Why the hell not at this point? Pietrus is garbage. Kleiza is garbage. Fields is garbage. Am I forgeting any other SG/SF? See what you have in Ross.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

That's exactly the lineup I wanna see. Plus if we're gonna suck this much anyways why the hell not give Jonas, Davis and Ross more burn. I think our start is bad enough that we should bow out of the playoff race gracefully. But I do also know that BC and Casey would never do that.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

letshaveacorona has not been impressing people

I share your pain and I agree with all your points except I dont think Ross can play SF. The average SF in the NBA is what 6'7-6-8 220-235 lbs. Ross is 6'6 200 he would get destroyed. Derozan would be a better fit at the 3 and Ross starting at the 2.
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
As much as I'd like to see it happen, Ed Davis will never start as long as Bargnani is here. Bargnani will continue to start and get big minutes regardless of his play. It's just the way it is, unfortunately.

As for Ross? Sure, start him. Why the hell not at this point? Pietrus is garbage. Kleiza is garbage. Fields is garbage. Am I forgeting any other SG/SF? See what you have in Ross.
Don't forget about allan anderson
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Don't forget about allan anderson
I'm going to file him under "garbage" as well.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Parps
Decent playground baller

Parps is starting to rub some people the wrong way

You hit the nail on the head.

Profit means more than wins. It's a business for god sake. What should we expect?
Parps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Basically play all the young black players + Jonas and trade the rest of the team. Sounds good to me.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Ed Davis - 13/11 on 5-10, 3-4 with a block, 0 turnovers in 22:46

Andrea Bargnani - 8/3/3 on 3-14, 2-2 with a block, 2 turnovers in 26:42

It's laughable how lopsided this "competition" has become. I'm entering the territory where I'm just feeling bad for the guy and hoping he gets a chance somewhere else if we're going to continually keep screwing him. His game is so much better, his energy is so much better, he's just a much better player at this point, and he still can't get any love.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #11
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Ed Davis - 13/11 on 5-10, 3-4 with a block, 0 turnovers in 22:46

Andrea Bargnani - 8/3/3 on 3-14, 2-2 with a block, 2 turnovers in 26:42

It's laughable how lopsided this "competition" has become. I'm entering the territory where I'm just feeling bad for the guy and hoping he gets a chance somewhere else if we're going to continually keep screwing him. His game is so much better, his energy is so much better, he's just a much better player at this point, and he still can't get any love.

Agreed, I don't even care about the 3 position anymore. Bargs is playing like sh*t and yet he still gets 25+ minutes a game.

Why? Because of his credentials of course:
1. He is 7 foot
2. He is the first overall pick
3. He has a cheap long term deal
4. He loves Toronto
5. He shoots the 3
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Casey's reason for putting Bargs back in was spacing. What a dumbass. Spacing is great if the guy can buy a damn bucket. Did he not see us catch up when Bargs was on the bench? He's a fu.cken puppet.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #13
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
Casey's reason for putting Bargs back in was spacing. What a dumbass. Spacing is great if the guy can buy a damn bucket. Did he not see us catch up when Bargs was on the bench? He's a fu.cken puppet.

That's great. 3-14 and 0-6 for spacing, wish reporters would call him out on that sort of stuff. Kings finish the game 21-13 after Bargnani checked in for Davis with 7 minutes left. Prior to that, the Raptors were on a 27-14 run to erase a 12 point deficit for the 10:42 that Davis was on the floor. I'm not saying these things are completely because of one another, but it didn't take a ton of basketball knowledge to see that Davis was and has been more effective for quite some time.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
I'm glad I didn't see that interview. Spacing! Really? SPACING??? Like Ed Davis was bringing so many things to that game spacing didn't matter. We were clearly holding our own by having a beast in the paint rebounding, dunking and playing stellar defense. Casey needs to smarten up or he's got to go. I wish we had a defiant, hard ass coach like Popovic who gives playing time based on strategy and performance rather than name and contract size. But as you said, BC wouldn't hire someone unless they were gonna be his puppet so that kind of signing will never happen under his reign.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

It sure didn't seem like Lowry was having much of a problem driving into the lane with Ed and Amir out there. Spacing my ass. I'll take the tradeoff if it means having a higher chance of grabbing offensive rebounds and fewer bad perimeter shots.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: