Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation
Default Passing with left hand (off-hand)

Anyone practice this on their own time? It's pretty hard to practice considering you need to have another player to practice this with you. Would be good to learn the left bounce pass with my roller.

Thinking of using tennis balls against a wall, you guys got any drills for these that can be doable alone?
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Passing with left hand (off-hand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyap9675
Anyone practice this on their own time? It's pretty hard to practice considering you need to have another player to practice this with you. Would be good to learn the left bounce pass with my roller.

Thinking of using tennis balls against a wall, you guys got any drills for these that can be doable alone?

not many coaches would drill this because one handed passes should always be avoided. The reason being if at the last second a guy goes to shoot the gap/goes for the interception, you can't change your mind. If you pass with two hands, and see it, you can stop in the middle of the pass action because you have both hands on the ball. But there are situations on fast breaks and back door cuts that they can be useful, so you have to be creative in creating drills

If you really wanna learn though, put a piece of tape (and X or a square, something big enough that you can hit) on a wall and practice how many times you can hit it consecutively. It has to be perfect, really be tough on yourself, or else there is no point doing it

If you get 5 in a row, try get 6, then 7, and so on and so on. Start close and then when you start getting into the teens and twenties, take 5 steps back. Can be done off the bounce or direct. Then when this gets easy, do it on the move, from different angles, make the piece of tape smaller

people are usually weak at passing with the off hand because they don't have the muscle memory to do it. The more reps you get, and the more of a perfectionist attitude you have towards it, the faster you will get better.

Last edited by Burgz V2 : 12-30-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I managed to crazy improve my left hand to that level, that it doesnt matter which hand to do lay ups, hooks, passes is just when shooting around do everything with left hand. From jumpshots to layups - everything. And sometimes I just stand @ about 3 point line and throw passes at backboard. It works. Huge advantage, its great to hear that you wanna improve it.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What my coach has us do at practice a few nights ago was line up across from a partner and have the ball start on one side. The person with the ball initiates the drill by passing with one hand aiming for the target his partner make's with the opposite hand. The partner smashes the ball down in a dribble to control it and then snaps it back to the first person. We do all this while sliding down the court and changing hands on the way back.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

A lot of coaches don't like one handed passes or push passes but I know when I play I almost never pick the ball up and pass with two in transition. I have my players work on passing 2 or 3 balls into a wall. Hold 1 ball in each hand, pass the ball into the wall with your left hand then take the ball from your right to your left and pass it so that it hits the wall as your catching and passing the other ball. Also have the players pass to you under the basket in layup drills and pass it back to them for the finish.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
Magic bird
The Banner

Magic bird has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
A lot of coaches don't like one handed passes or push passes but I know when I play I almost never pick the ball up and pass with two in transition. I have my players work on passing 2 or 3 balls into a wall. Hold 1 ball in each hand, pass the ball into the wall with your left hand then take the ball from your right to your left and pass it so that it hits the wall as your catching and passing the other ball. Also have the players pass to you under the basket in layup drills and pass it back to them for the finish.

Tennis balls? Thanks for this, reccomended it to my coach and we're running these drills in practice now :)
Magic bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Just keep your right hand in your pocket and play/dribble/hoop/wall pass. As you do the other stuff your left will naturally get stronger and the passing will naturally follow.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 AM   #8
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation

Lol he didnt mention tennis balls, but was he referring to one? Anyway thanks boys keep em coming
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyap9675
Lol he didnt mention tennis balls, but was he referring to one? Anyway thanks boys keep em coming

I'm sure you could use tennis balls but I would stick to basketballs. Here is a friend of mine doing it with two hands and 3 balls @ ~ :40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0CbNiBOcBw&safe=active

just lose a ball and a hand
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: