Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #46
elementally morale
College superstar

Default Re: The difference 1 or 2 games make

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
would coulda shouldas don't work in the NBA because everything happens 100 percent according to fate's plan. It's called determinism

Especially in retrospect. :)
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #47
Hoopz2332
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1

lol
Hoopz2332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #48
FKAri
Good college starter

Basketball fans and sports fans in general are emotional and irrational. If the Heat lose that game Lebron is labelled a loser etc. They win and go on to win the whole thing and Lebron is hailed as top 10 all time and comparisons to Jordan resurface. Fans and I think the athletes themselves give into superstitions and myqstique more often than facts.
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #49
che guevara
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKAri
Basketball fans and sports fans in general are emotional and irrational. If the Heat lose that game Lebron is labelled a loser etc. They win and go on to win the whole thing and Lebron is hailed as top 10 all time and comparisons to Jordan resurface. Fans and I think the athletes themselves give into superstitions and myqstique more often than facts.
This.

Honestly, thinking that winning these kind of games actually makes players better is ridiculous. It might give them a little bit of a confidence boost, but they're already superstars who have incredible confidence in themselves anyway. People are much more comfortable coming up with a narrative to explain the situation, rather than accepting that things can happen randomly for no good reason.

Last edited by che guevara : 01-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.
che guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #50
tpols
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementally morale
It's natural he felt that way. After all, it would sound crazy to say: "Well, yeah... I lost all 5 games. It pains me to think about how much better I could have become... and I didn't. I may be good but could have been a lot better."

On another note, I'm not American -- and I know this to also be a cultural thing. In the American way of life, winning is everything (and if not, it is the only thing). It's mainly because the US won pretty much everything in the last century or so. In Europe, pure effort is given a bit more credit. And in Asia, way more.
Sure wilt could've gotten luckier and had a few more rings but I think his attitude and style of play are karma for what happened and indicative of the results. All he cared about was himself and scoring. Where as his opponent Russell couldn't have been more opposite mentally.

And then when wilt took a more team oriented role later in his career focusing on passing instead of scoring he started winning rings. Makes sense.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: