Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The Dunk Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
If the NBA insists upon separating the dunking further and further from the dunk contest itself (in its place - terrible acting, props, mailmen, coaches, microphones, and choirs) then I agree. However, if the contest can be returned to a standard format then I believe it should forever live on. Dunk contests will always have down years regardless but I think it's important to keep it alive for those special, special moments.

For instance, can we imagine NBA history had the league opted not to bring the contest back for 2000? Surely, Carter's year was followed by a lame showing in DC the next season but then came a great run by Jason Richardson and company. Unfortunately, life-altering moments will never happen every year in the dunk contest, but the rarity of those moments is what makes them so special and eliminating the contest altogether would just be counterproductive in my opinion. Eliminate it for the return of 2Ball?
I agree, but is there a chance of the dunk contest going back to what it was? If the ASG can't let go of online voting, I don't think the dunk contest will. Get a panel of real judges and eliminate based on scores. Let the panel REVIEW the dunk before letting them score.

Also, you need some star power in these contests. All the memorable contests had legit stars in them. Unfortunately these star gets scared off by gimmicks and shit. Rudy Gay should be there. Blake Griffin given another chance. Josh Smith. Lebron man up and be part of it.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
ballup
Post Game Chuck Hayes

ballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Doubt GG will be there. He has stated a couple of years ago that he is done with the Dunk Contest. Probably because he was the first to get screwed by the final voting changes.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
Marv_Albert
GUESS WHO'S BACK

Marv_Albert has not been impressing people

Gerald Green, James White, Terrence Ross, Demar Derozan

If unavailable Paul George should be added(another one robbed)
Marv_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
shallehalle
High School Varsity 12th Man

shallehalle has decent reputationshallehalle has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballup
Doubt GG will be there. He has stated a couple of years ago that he is done with the Dunk Contest. Probably because he was the first to get screwed by the final voting changes.
how was he screwed???

howard did things no one ever has done + put a great show

the real contests that were rigged are:

2011 with Blake, 2006 with iguodala and 2007 when they gave dwight 7s for the sticker dunk

other contests had bad moments, but in the end players themselves were to blame:
1) in 2010 when Derozam lost to Nate was, because Demar did a retarded two handed windmill dunk and Nate did a better previous dunk
2) 2009 when Dwight thought he should do an ugly ft line dunk to lose to nate
3) In 2012 there should not have been a winner, because all contestants sucked and Evans at least had a creative and not seen dunk. George lost, because he put his hand on hibbert and had like 20 dunk tries combined...

Last edited by shallehalle : 01-09-2013 at 06:44 PM.
shallehalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
I agree, but is there a chance of the dunk contest going back to what it was? If the ASG can't let go of online voting, I don't think the dunk contest will. Get a panel of real judges and eliminate based on scores. Let the panel REVIEW the dunk before letting them score.

Also, you need some star power in these contests. All the memorable contests had legit stars in them. Unfortunately these star gets scared off by gimmicks and shit. Rudy Gay should be there. Blake Griffin given another chance. Josh Smith. Lebron man up and be part of it.
Well, to be honest, I think "going back to what it was" will always be open to interpretation. Even as Vince Carter's performance was taking place, there was still a very significant portion of the basketball viewing population yearning for the battles of yesteryear - the Erving vs. Thompson days or the 'Nique vs. Jordan showdowns. So in that regard, for some, the contest will never go back to what they thought it was.

For others, I think there's a very good chance at a return to dunk normalcy. NBA contest organizers have a history of tinkering with its format before eventually re-establishing tradition. For instance, in the mid-90's, each round was set up like a gymnast routine, where players were required to complete three dunks in 90 seconds. Eventually (only after the contest was cancelled for two year) folks came to their senses and brought back the traditional one dunk format. I'm just thinking there has to be someone at the top with a lot of power who realized just how ridiculous the slam dunk contest's setup has become with actors, voting, and uber props.

Regarding star players, I always welcome them but I've never found them to be required to have an awesome contest. There's been many non-stars throughout the years who have been able to make a name for themselves with a spectacular showing in the dunk contest. Some even used the contest as a springboard to their own fame. Some memorable dunkers who were not stars at the time of their contest appearance: Dee Brown, Harold Miner, J.R. Rider, Brent Barry, Jason Richardson, Nate Robinson, Gerald Green, JaVale McGee, and J.R. Smith. As I said, some became stars at a time after their appearance, but they weren't exactly All-Star headliners upon their first entry, yet they still left an entertaining and indelible mark on the contest itself.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 01-09-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
shallehalle
High School Varsity 12th Man

shallehalle has decent reputationshallehalle has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
Serg Ibaka completed a dunk BEHIND the free-throw line but only got 45 points.

NBA Slam Dunk Contest is way beyond repairable.
how was that dunk deserving more?? he didn't anything special in the air and looked ugly.. look at james white ft dunk style even without windmill and between the legs..

you can do a difficult dunk, but if it will look ugly, you ain't getting high scores
shallehalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
coin24
Very good NBA starter

coin24 has an incredible reputation herecoin24 has an incredible reputation herecoin24 has an incredible reputation herecoin24 has an incredible reputation herecoin24 has an incredible reputation herecoin24 has an incredible reputation here

I'm happy as long as they get rid of the stupid props and dunk coaches shit.
Keep it about the dunks and have a judge panel again. Can do the fan vote shit for the final 2 I guess..
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
ballup
Post Game Chuck Hayes

ballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallehalle
how was he screwed???

howard did things no one ever has done + put a great show

the real contests that were rigged are:

2011 with Blake, 2006 with iguodala and 2007 when they gave dwight 7s for the sticker dunk

other contests had bad moments, but in the end players themselves were to blame:
1) in 2010 when Derozam lost to Nate was, because Demar did a retarded two handed windmill dunk and Nate did a better previous dunk
2) 2009 when Dwight thought he should do an ugly ft line dunk to lose to nate
3) In 2012 there should not have been a winner, because all contestants sucked and Evans at least had a creative and not seen dunk. George lost, because he put his hand on hibbert and had like 20 dunk tries combined...
GG had no chance in the final because he was up against Howard in a fan voting event. That's how he was screwed. I didn't say he should have won, but the fans made it much more of a landslide than it should have been.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallehalle
how was that dunk deserving more?? he didn't anything special in the air and looked ugly.. look at james white ft dunk style even without windmill and between the legs..

you can do a difficult dunk, but if it will look ugly, you ain't getting high scores
You're right on the money. Aesthetics is sometimes underrated when it comes to dunking. Scottie Pippen also dunked from the free throw line and his was just about as ugly as Ibaka's, hence it not being remembered quite as well. That said, Ibaka's leap was impressive enough to compensate for a lot of his lack of style.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
Borat
very niiice

Borat has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
Gerald Wallace got robbed last time he was in it. Give him another shot

uh he was terrible and looked like he didnt want to be there
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballup
GG had no chance in the final because he was up against Howard in a fan voting event. That's how he was screwed. I didn't say he should have won, but the fans made it much more of a landslide than it should have been.
I see where you're coming from with the landslide angle, as I do believe their dunking skills were in fact closer than the 22% and 78% of votes they each received. I really do not believe fan voting belongs in this type of contest because I feel it truly should be about the dunk and one's popularity should not play a part.

All that said, I think Green really would have helped his own cause if he didn't more or less complete the same dunk two times in the finals. Yes, dunking in socks is very tough, but it was still the same dunk. Further, there was some bravado that was a little unbecoming from Green that year. I think I remember him signing his own shoes and placing them on the judges table before his last dunk (at which point Darryl Dawkins knocked them off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat
uh he was terrible and looked like he didnt want to be there
Don't know how I missed that Wallace comment my first time through this thread. His '10 performance was one of the worst I'd ever seen. I'll have to refer back, but I feel like he did a routine reverse for his first attempt. No Harold Miner, no bounce, no authority, just a routine, 11th grader-in-layup-line reverse. Terrible.

Edit: A video dedicated to Gerald and Shannon's terrible showing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYgv7bJ5WbU

Last edited by Rake2204 : 01-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
20Four
Jameer is my bitch

20Four is considered somewhat cool20Four is considered somewhat cool20Four is considered somewhat cool

Do you think that James White can still do ALL his dunks that he wants to? I heard people saying he's getting old...but I dont think he's lost a step.....anybody have proof he lost a step?

Last edited by 20Four : 01-09-2013 at 10:59 PM.
20Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
20Four
Jameer is my bitch

20Four is considered somewhat cool20Four is considered somewhat cool20Four is considered somewhat cool

Bump
20Four is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: