Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #226
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The official Raptors basketball game thread

I know they're statistically very similar, but there's just something about Gay that says "I am capable of being an all star" that Derozan just straight up lacks. I really hope his contract can be moved.

On a side note, seeing Val back, albeit limitedly, makes the lack of Ed hurt a little less. Gotta stay positive since for better or worse we're all-in'ish.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #227
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Oh yeah, most definitely. To me, Derozan being as good as he's been is a direct result of how hard he works. Rudy Gay is one of those dudes that was just born with it. I was watching how it was every time he got the ball in his hands, he's dangerous. But I think DD actually will benefit from Gay being there since he'll no longer be the primary focus on the defense.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #228
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Oh yeah, most definitely. To me, Derozan being as good as he's been is a direct result of how hard he works. Rudy Gay is one of those dudes that was just born with it. I was watching how it was every time he got the ball in his hands, he's dangerous. But I think DD actually will benefit from Gay being there since he'll no longer be the primary focus on the defense.

Yeah I think DeMar is going to be able to pick his spots and play more effectively when the other team is doubling Rudy instead of him.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #229
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

You know, in watching the game today I realized that while we do have some glaring weaknesses. (Namely, backup point and depth at the 4/5) we now have one of the most athletic teams in the league. And a lineup with Lowry/Derozan/Gay/Amir can really get after it. Having said that, we'll see what they can do against Miami on Sunday, I won't be overly excited over one game.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #230
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think I finally thought of a decent player comparison for Demar. Richard Jefferson. A dude who could always put up numbers but was clearly a notch below all-star level. Although a prime RJ was still better than Demar, still something along those lines.

edit: I thought of RJ because I wonder if they'll have the VC/RJ type of dynamic that those guys had back when they were teammates in NJ.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #231
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
I think I finally thought of a decent player comparison for Demar. Richard Jefferson. A dude who could always put up numbers but was clearly a notch below all-star level. Although a prime RJ was still better than Demar, still something along those lines.

edit: I thought of RJ because I wonder if they'll have the VC/RJ type of dynamic that those guys had back when they were teammates in NJ.

Good comparison. I will say that although Derozan overall doesn't make the game look as easy as Gay does, I was shocked that he had put up 19 by the end of the game so that was a pretty effortless night for him. If he'll keep that up and the assist numbers maybe keeping him as a second option isn't a bad idea.

That said like Beastani said it is just one game and I'm still inclined to want to move him if you can get a good return and/or if packaging him with Bargs is what it takes to get Bargs out of here for some good pieces rather than another team's problem contract. Still 20 days to the deadline so time left to properly assess the Gay-Derozan combo.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #232
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Game notes

-Gay looked good last night. Impressed with his natural talent.
-The whole team looked good, but the Clips looked horrible so I won't judge until I see them play a few more games together.
-Caron Butler is a B!TCH!
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #233
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
That's the biggest issue for me. Had another GM made the exact same move, I might have some of the same questions about it that I do about this one, but i'd probably say to myself "well, he probably has an overall vision of what he's gonna do with this team next, and i'll wait to see all the totality of what moves he's gonna make before I rush to judgement." But with BC we all know it was just a matter of, the first big name guy available to us we snag him. Whether it be Gay or Gasol (it probably could've been Gasol if they were more willing to let go of him). It'll put more fans in those seats and may result in a few more wins, so BC did what he set out to do, line himself up for a new contract. I can only hope that one day all the random pieces he throws together magically become a contender but I doubt it.

Gay fits this team SO much better than Gasol - based on age alone.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #234
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

rosonviyavong has an OK reputation so far

bargnani might play on Sunday. He needs to turn into an off the bench spot up shooter if the Raptors want to get anything out of him which fits the makeup of this team. If he eventually gets traded then he needs to be traded for exactly that, some sort of sharpshooting big man or point guard since we are over stacked on wings.
rosonviyavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #235
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Gay fits this team SO much better than Gasol - based on age alone.
Yeah, if it had to be one of them i'm glad it was Gay and not Gasol. Ironically in the off-season when the Gay trade rumors were being floated around I was all for it. I've wanted Rudy Gay in a Raptors uniform for a long time now. My only issue was the moves that were made leading up to acquiring him and how they don't really add up or make sense. But I guess the only thing any of us can do is just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #236
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Gay vs Lebron tomorrow.

Hope we can stay perfect in the Rudy Gay era
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #237
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo
Gay vs Lebron tomorrow.

Hope we can stay perfect in the Rudy Gay era

I can't wait for that matchup, however I think the key to the game will be our bigs. LeBron is going to get his no matter how much Rudy slows him down, Wade and DeMar is a good matchup, along with Lowry and Chalmers.

Therefore we need Amir to play as well as he has been and to stay out of foul trouble.

OH and I hope we see a lot of Lowry-Ross-DeMar-Gay-Amir today since Miami likes to play small with LeBron at the 4.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #238
DJMason
High School JV MVP

It's just a game and a half but... Rudy Gay is phucking awesome. GD you BC for not pairing him with Bosh 6.5 years ago.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #239
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Miami actually showed up tonight. If the Miami that played last time showed up they would've lost. Especially with the way Rudy was playing. It's too little too late but we actually have a guy now who legitimately commands a double team.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #240
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Rudy Gay is legit. Feels good to finally have a wing player that can consistently create his own shot.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: