Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Contract Extension for Rudy Gay?

Don't see why he wouldn't let Rudy play out most of his contract before offering him anything. Knowing the Raptors BC will give him the max and then he gets fired and a new GM is stuck with his mess.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

So I am not sure I follow...

Is this "hate for Rudy Gay" at any price?

Hate for Rudy Gay if they overpay your percieved value ?

Hate purely for Collangelo ??

---

To my earlier point - I would need to see what if the amount of the extension is.

Frankly Rudy Gay is a top 5 (or maybe 10) shooting forward over the last 5 years.

The Raptors have not had someone that talented since Bosh and Carter.

If Gay is willing to commit to the team then I am all about having him here for long term. Its that simple - isnt it ?

----

Reasonability of his Contract extension comes into play - as does cap flexability. But part of that "reasonability test" is subjective...i.e. what you think - I admit that. I get that.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

LOL ask a question and have a rebuttal here :

Mind you that actually presumes a $20 Million Superstar Contract in Kobe Land.

http://nba.si.com/2013/03/07/court-v...?sct=uk_bf1_a6

Star power” is so useless. The Raptors have always drawn pretty well, despite typically mediocre rosters. Marketable stars are good for the bottom line because they can draw the attention of the casual fan. But winning does that far better, and a team paying Rudy Gay $20 million repeatedly is going to have trouble building a winning team. That desperately needed “star power” isn’t going to get the Raptors anywhere in the long run unless Gay massively improves or Colangelo pulls a couple of rabbits out of his Fedora.

The salary cap is real. The Raptors’ owners aren’t going to be paying the luxury tax. Figure that during Gay’s extended deal the luxury tax threshold will climb up to $75 million. If Gay signs for $20 million in the extra two years, matching his 2014-15 salary, he’ll be soaking up more than a quarter of the payroll. The other $55 million Colangelo has to play with needs to account for four starters, seven rotation players and 11 roster spots. That is a totally unnecessary hurdle to overcome, especially considering Gay has never and will possibly never be even an All-Star.

To make it work well enough for the Raptors to be a truly winning team — a legitimate competitor in the East — Colangelo would need to ace the draft and find great value in free agency and trades. Does anyone count on Colangelo doing that based on recent history?
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: