Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #391
NotYetGreat
Great college starter
 
NotYetGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,542
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Anyone know what a good bench press is for a girl?
My girlfriend has been coming with me to the gym the last 2 or 3 months, and I have her doing a few light chest movements, but she saw me doing bench press and wanted to give it a go since she thought it looked fun. She's only 53kg (115lbs I guess?) and she managed to put up 30kg (65lbs) twice. I was actually quite impressed but she was disappointed in herself lol...

Well, if she never really does the movement then that should be pretty good. I probably can only put up like twice that or a little bit more but that's more because of a lack of practice. I guess a good goal to shoot for is bodyweight, which can take time. I don't know, I don't bench so I can't tell, but I assume the mechanical advantage would make it easier to achieve a BW bench rather than a BW overhead press. Looks like she has a pretty good attitude towards training though. I'd love to find me a lady who can hold her own with iron, too.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #392
JEFFERSON MONEY
Glory be to Allah
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,614
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Anyone know what a good bench press is for a girl?
My girlfriend has been coming with me to the gym the last 2 or 3 months, and I have her doing a few light chest movements, but she saw me doing bench press and wanted to give it a go since she thought it looked fun. She's only 53kg (115lbs I guess?) and she managed to put up 30kg (65lbs) twice. I was actually quite impressed but she was disappointed in herself lol...

That's good for a first timer. She can really get that up with proper periodic action.

My sister is same weight puts up 85 times 5 but has bicep definition.

I've observed that girls can attain some respectable bench and squat numbers but are pretty lousy at chins and dead lifts. Like that famous crossfit chick could do five pull-ups what the hell and like a 150 jerk and a 250 squat Must have something to do with hips and tits.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #393
Bosnian Sajo
we finish or we done?
 
Bosnian Sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The ISH Grim Reaper
Posts: 8,270
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

B-Low, does rushfit really add muscle too or is it mostly just weight loss and muscle toning? Downloading the program atm, hope its worth it.
Bosnian Sajo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #394
Zan Tabak
Only the finest
 
Zan Tabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -lll──lll-
Posts: 3,857
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Found this on youtube. Pretty good quick protein meal. Clever as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLBGmcpqEto

I've actually tried this. Tastes pretty good.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #395
alenleomessi
W
 
alenleomessi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

i feel like im not adding much muscle to my arms especially forearms... is it always slow for arms or am i missing something? any suggestions?
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #396
Zan Tabak
Only the finest
 
Zan Tabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -lll──lll-
Posts: 3,857
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
i feel like im not adding much muscle to my arms especially forearms... is it always slow for arms or am i missing something? any suggestions?
Try focusing more on your triceps (they make up 2 thirds of your arms) big tri's equals big arms.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #397
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,730
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
i feel like im not adding much muscle to my arms especially forearms... is it always slow for arms or am i missing something? any suggestions?

What bicep/tricep/forearm exercises do you do?
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #398
alenleomessi
W
 
alenleomessi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
What bicep/tricep/forearm exercises do you do?
i just do the most common

3-4 sets of dips ( sometimes weighted if im not feeling lazy )
3-4 sets of triceps extensions or 4-5 sets of triceps pushdowns

for biceps just he usual barbell and dumbell curls with more sets and sometimes chinups
for forearms i just do one exercise with barbell where the wrist curls but im told forearms are used in lots of other exercises so i dont really need to exercise them individually... i dont do deadlift too that is probably a negative?
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #399
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,730
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
i just do the most common

3-4 sets of dips ( sometimes weighted if im not feeling lazy )
3-4 sets of triceps extensions or 4-5 sets of triceps pushdowns

for biceps just he usual barbell and dumbell curls with more sets and sometimes chinups
for forearms i just do one exercise with barbell where the wrist curls but im told forearms are used in lots of other exercises so i dont really need to exercise them individually... i dont do deadlift too that is probably a negative?

Your tricep exercises are pretty good. You can try adding a few sets skull crushers (I like using the EZ curl bar for this) and close grip bench press to your routine.

I've found concentration curls really work the forearms well. As you said, there's not a real need to do a bunch forearm exercises lifts because they're incorporated into a lot of other lifts.

Add a few sets of hammer curls to your bicep routine, I've found they're great for adding size to your biceps. Try doing drop sets with heavier weight rather than a ton of a reps. Throw in some negative reps at the end of your workouts as well.

Deadlifts are awesome. When I first started working out I was hesitant to do them because I was afraid I would hurt my back/not use proper technique. As soon as I started incorporating them into my back workouts, I noticed a big difference in my overall gains. If you don't have lower back problems, you should definitely do deadlifts and you'll quickly feel the benefits.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #400
D-Wade316
F***
 
D-Wade316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,585
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Anyone know what a good bench press is for a girl?
My girlfriend has been coming with me to the gym the last 2 or 3 months, and I have her doing a few light chest movements, but she saw me doing bench press and wanted to give it a go since she thought it looked fun. She's only 53kg (115lbs I guess?) and she managed to put up 30kg (65lbs) twice. I was actually quite impressed but she was disappointed in herself lol...
Lucky man you are.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #401
NauruDude
Banned
 
NauruDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Posts: 2,155
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Anyone here got a good weightlifting program for 70kg (154pounds), 180cm (5'11) and about 12% fat. Wanna gain some muscles over the next couple of months before I move abroad in september.

I've got access to a gym with all the neccesary tools.

BEST MOTIVATIONAL VIDEO
NauruDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #402
bmulls
Great college starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,212
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Anyone know what a good bench press is for a girl?
My girlfriend has been coming with me to the gym the last 2 or 3 months, and I have her doing a few light chest movements, but she saw me doing bench press and wanted to give it a go since she thought it looked fun. She's only 53kg (115lbs I guess?) and she managed to put up 30kg (65lbs) twice. I was actually quite impressed but she was disappointed in herself lol...

I knew a college vball player that could do 95 for a solid set (she was tall, like over 6') a figure model that could hit 95 for 2 or 3, and I once worked out with a huge black chick that was friends with one of my buddies. She was playing professional women's football and had just maxed 135 which was one of the incentive clauses in her contract. I've also seen a pretty athletic girl at the gym pushing 135, but her range of motion is awful and her f@ggot boyfriend is always spotting her with hands on the bar so I really doubt she could hit a legit 135. There's another girl at my gym who is tiny but she does squats, bench and deads every time I see her. I'm pretty sure I saw her pressing 75 a few times.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #403
alenleomessi
W
 
alenleomessi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Your tricep exercises are pretty good. You can try adding a few sets skull crushers (I like using the EZ curl bar for this) and close grip bench press to your routine.

I've found concentration curls really work the forearms well. As you said, there's not a real need to do a bunch forearm exercises lifts because they're incorporated into a lot of other lifts.

Add a few sets of hammer curls to your bicep routine, I've found they're great for adding size to your biceps. Try doing drop sets with heavier weight rather than a ton of a reps. Throw in some negative reps at the end of your workouts as well.

Deadlifts are awesome. When I first started working out I was hesitant to do them because I was afraid I would hurt my back/not use proper technique. As soon as I started incorporating them into my back workouts, I noticed a big difference in my overall gains. If you don't have lower back problems, you should definitely do deadlifts and you'll quickly feel the benefits.
i did those twice so far, starting with the dips then the skull crushers and last the triceps pushdowns... usually at the gym they say do only one or two exercise and keep it simple but ill have to disagree after some time you just gotta do some variety. I also started doing cardio few days ago ( not cardio in the gym on those machines though thats pathetic.. i run in a park, well i have to say the first few days its been tough as f*ck, i feel like im gonna lose my breath ( well i havent really ran since the summer when i played basketball and even then i was lazy usually just waited for the ball to come to me) .. and what i noticed is that i have much more energy for the gym the next day, im not getting tired after 40-45 minutes like i usually did, i can go on for an hour and a half now
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #404
NauruDude
Banned
 
NauruDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Posts: 2,155
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

mission of the day:
• 4 sets of Incline Dumbbell Press, 8-10 reps
• 3 sets of Bench Press, 8-10 reps
• 3 sets of Incline Flies, 8-10 reps
• 3 sets of Chest Dips until failure
• 3 sets of Barbell Curls, 8-10 reps
• 3 sets of Preacher Curls, 8-10 reps, then drop the weight to half, and push out another 8
NauruDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #405
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!
 
Levity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: long beach bred
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauruDude
Anyone here got a good weightlifting program for 70kg (154pounds), 180cm (5'11) and about 12% fat. Wanna gain some muscles over the next couple of months before I move abroad in september.

I've got access to a gym with all the neccesary tools.

BEST MOTIVATIONAL VIDEO

Im actually about the same weight and height right now. but i was around 170 before i started lifting regularly and eating healthier. Was able to cut 15 pounds and became a lot more cut after starting this simple program(but also played full court bball games 3 or so times a week) and eventually moving on to the intermediate one.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy