Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #1426
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

It was a close fight but Canelo clearly won. Trout landed more shots, but Canelo's punches were more powerful/damaging & his defense was superb, there was a time in the later rounds where he was just toying with Trout, just dodging his shots like if he was Ali.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #1427
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Still not blown away by Canelo. He took large stretches of that fight off and those scorecards were a total joke. The commentators had it about right. I probably had it 1 or 2 points in Canelo's favor, but almost all of the rounds were razor thin.

Canelo's conditioning looked questionable to me. He was relying on landing one or two hard shots each round to sneak away with a decision.

To me, he seems like one of those guys who does a lot of things really good and no one thing great.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #1428
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Still not blown away by Canelo. He took large stretches of that fight off and those scorecards were a total joke. The commentators had it about right. I probably had it 1 or 2 points in Canelo's favor, but almost all of the rounds were razor thin.

Canelo's conditioning looked questionable to me. He was relying on landing one or two hard shots each round to sneak away with a decision.

To me, he seems like one of those guys who does a lot of things really good and no one thing great.

I don't know if it's because he lacks experience, or b/c of his cardio, or b/c he just fights like a weirdo, but he does that every fight. He will lull you to sleep, then explode on you, rinse and repeat. The good thing is that he usually carries his power throughout the whole fight, the bad thing is that he could end up losing fights like that in the future.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #1429
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

He doesn't seem to fight with any urgency. I'm not sure if he feels like he's not being challenged or what. Maybe it's because nobody has been able to test his chin really. I'd like to see him against some real power punchers.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #1430
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

I'd love for him to fight Martinez.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #1431
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
I'd love for him to fight Martinez.

i would have Sergio Martinez winning because of a better work rate and better cardio. Canelo needs to set up his feet before throwing punches and it will be hard against a slick southpaw like Martinez that likes to stick and move. And Martinez has some good power himself.

In that fight agaisnt Trout Canelo looked like he was tired by the 6th round
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #1432
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
i would have Sergio Martinez winning because of a better work rate and better cardio. Canelo needs to set up his feet before throwing punches and it will be hard against a slick southpaw like Martinez that likes to stick and move. And Martinez has some good power himself.

In that fight agaisnt Trout Canelo looked like he was tired by the 6th round

Yeah he did look tired, it would have been more apparent if Trout started landing some significant shots.

I have Martinez winning this one too, Canelo doesn't have any advantages over Sergio imo. He's almost 40 though..
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #1433
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
He doesn't seem to fight with any urgency. I'm not sure if he feels like he's not being challenged or what. Maybe it's because nobody has been able to test his chin really. I'd like to see him against some real power punchers.
Well, he was challenged last night in a big way, I thought. Maybe his chin wasn't challenged, but he was being out-boxed for large stretches of that fight. Then again, if judges are going to score fights like that 118-109 in his favor, he may never face a challenge unless he gets KOed.

If Mayweather truly is the next fight for Canelo, I don't see him winning or coming close to winning if he fights anything like he did last night. Of course, this is assuming Floyd doesn't fall off a cliff due to his age.

Relying on landing an occasional power shot, while spending the majority of the fight trying to dodge punches will not work, even against the Floyd that didn't look great against Cotto.

The conditioning would be a major factor for Canelo. He needs to get that in order before challenging Floyd.

Same thing goes for Martinez. He would catch Sergio and maybe even knock him down, but no way he can keep up with that kind of work rate unless he completely changes his approach.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #1434
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Well, he was challenged last night in a big way, I thought. Maybe his chin wasn't challenged, but he was being out-boxed for large stretches of that fight. Then again, if judges are going to score fights like that 118-109 in his favor, he may never face a challenge unless he gets KOed.

If Mayweather truly is the next fight for Canelo, I don't see him winning or coming close to winning if he fights anything like he did last night. Of course, this is assuming Floyd doesn't fall off a cliff due to his age.

Relying on landing an occasional power shot, while spending the majority of the fight trying to dodge punches will not work, even against the Floyd that didn't look great against Cotto.

The conditioning would be a major factor for Canelo. He needs to get that in order before challenging Floyd.

Same thing goes for Martinez. He would catch Sergio and maybe even knock him down, but no way he can keep up with that kind of work rate unless he completely changes his approach.
Canelo might fight Cotto next, in Brooklyn.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #1435
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Canelo might fight Cotto next, in Brooklyn.
:yawn:
Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #1436
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

imho 118-109 is a bit off but 116-111 and 115-112 is good scoring.

Trout throwing those bs punches without committing to any. Canelo countered over his jab and basically took him to school. He took away his height and reach advantage and cruised to an relatively easy victory.

But don't get me wrong, I liked the fight. 2 undefeated fighters stepping up against their biggest challenge in their careers - that's rare
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #1437
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
2 undefeated fighters stepping up against their biggest challenge in their careers - that's rare

rios - alvarado 1
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #1438
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

Quote:
:yawn:
I know, but it's a payday both ways. Id give Cotto a punchers chance also.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #1439
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Flash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I know, but it's a payday both ways. Id give Cotto a punchers chance also.
He's not really a puncher anymore. If he beats Canelo, it's going to be by outboxing the Mexican, which I doubt Cotto can do because while he's not shot, he's way past it and just doesn't have his heart in the sport anymore.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #1440
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Cotto has nothing for Canelo. He belongs at 147
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: