Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Rubio2Gasol
Decent college freshman

Default Best 2 Guards of this years draft class?

I really don't follow this shit that much - I know some names - Mclemore, the dude with the mini-jordan/wade wikipedia page and marcus smart. I have some pretty simple questions.

1. Best Catch and Shoot player?
2. Best defender?
3. Best mixture of both?
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Default Re: Best 2 Guards of this years draft class?

Oladipo is a name you need to know. 6-5, best wing defender in the country and hits 60% from 2 and 44% from 3.

I think Smart is being looked at as a PG.

But for your question,
1. McLemore
2. Olpadio
3. Oladipo

I think as far as shooting we are talking about the next great 3 point shooter in McLemore.

Top 5 SG prospects probably are McLemore, Oladipo, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Tim Hardaway Jr., and Archie Goodwin.

I really want the Celtics to get KCP.

And if you care who I think the 15 best prospects are this year (which you probably don't), I'm thinking:

McLemore - Kansas
Porter - Georgetown
Noel - Kentucky
Bennett - UNLV
Smart - Oklahoma State
Len - Maryland
Oladipo - Indiana
Burke - Michigan
Zeller - Indiana
MCW - Syracuse
Muhammed - UCLA
Robinson III - Michigan
McAdoo - North Carolina
KCP - Georgia
McGary - Michigan

Last edited by UConnCeltics : 04-14-2013 at 10:43 AM.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Rubio2Gasol
Decent college freshman

Oladipo is the dude with the Wikipedia page. He's shooting 44% from 3?...thats'.....interesting. His stroke doesn't look refined and his mechanics looks a bit off from the highlights I just watched. I like his cutting and off the ball movement - and definitely his length and defense - but has the feel of great role player.....rather than what I'm seeing on his...........epic Wikipedia page.

McLemore looks like a straight 2....pure shooter and decent movement off the ball. He's probably in the vein what I'm looking for offensively. The mock draft I'm reading has him projected to go 1st.......so it will be a stretch for Minesota to get him.

I thought Muhammad would be a top 5 prospect? Can he play SG?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Just a quick thing about Oladipo - Whenever I look at him, he looks a lot smaller/frailer than his listed size.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
Oladipo is the dude with the Wikipedia page. He's shooting 44% from 3?...thats'.....interesting. His stroke doesn't look refined and his mechanics looks a bit off from the highlights I just watched. I like his cutting and off the ball movement - and definitely his length and defense - but has the feel of great role player.....rather than what I'm seeing on his...........epic Wikipedia page.

McLemore looks like a straight 2....pure shooter and decent movement off the ball. He's probably in the vein what I'm looking for offensively. The mock draft I'm reading has him projected to go 1st.......so it will be a stretch for Minesota to get him.

I thought Muhammad would be a top 5 prospect? Can he play SG?

he was until he exposed himself as a volume shooter (not in a good way) and his selfish attitude. oh and there's the birth certificate ordeal, not that it makes much a difference considering how inconsistent he was this year. He'll be in the top 10, top 5 if he impresses in workouts, which im sure he is capable of if he gets himself into the shape he was in before the suspension. Question is will he be man enough and bold enough to do group workouts or will he do only individual workouts...if its the latter, he will have probably convinced himself that being top 10 is good enough and no need to risk playing against other wings
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

Smart being a PG is an NBA GM/scout/whatever thing, imo. They also thought Jamal Crawford might play PG out of college and same with Jalen Rose. Just because the guy has point skills it doesn't make him a point guard.

I think he will measure between 6-4 - 6-5 in shoes and his wingspan looks long... I can't find an official measurement from a high school camp, but I would say he'll be comparable to Bradley Beal in terms of height and length.

And I would choose him defensively over Oladipo. Oladipo is a bit better athlete, but you can't underestimate the importance of strength and physicality when it comes to ball pressure and Smart is well above average in both accounts for either guard position.

McLemore is a really good spot up shooter. Still don't see much off the dribble and his off the ball movement needs improvement since his ability to create his own shot is very average, if that. You can argue someone like C.J. McCollum or Seth Curry is a better shooter. Although considering the entire package, McLemore obviously has the best combination of shooting ability and upside in the draft.

McLemore for the third question. He's a pretty underrated defensive player.

Outside of Smart, I'm not big fan of any of these guys.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

Offensively i think hardway can be a sleeper ... he is a streaky shooter and can also fly. but needs to work on defense..
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside23
Offensively i think hardway can be a sleeper ... he is a streaky shooter and can also fly. but needs to work on defense..
hes good, i wouldnt mind him on the knicks because he has athleticism and potential. the thing is, he had to play power forward often in college. mcgary was center while him and glenn robinson III were the forwards. so i think he'll be ok. he won't be asked to play PF in the NBA thats for sure.

the thing is, it was his 3rd year (i think). nowadays dudes come out after 1 year.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
hes good, i wouldnt mind him on the knicks because he has athleticism and potential. the thing is, he had to play power forward often in college. mcgary was center while him and glenn robinson III were the forwards. so i think he'll be ok. he won't be asked to play PF in the NBA thats for sure.

the thing is, it was his 3rd year (i think). nowadays dudes come out after 1 year.

tim hardaway has never played the 4 in college.

GRIII was their alternating 4 man this year, they played burke and stauskas at the guard positions interchangeably, and Hardaway Jr. played the three. And that was mostly against teams that use the zone a lot. When teams went man they would use stauskas off the bench with jon horford and Morgan splitting those extra minutes, especially early in the season before McGary started beasting
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Rubio2Gasol
Decent college freshman

So with Smart returning Mclemore seems to be the consensus #1 Prospect.

Oldadipio - I want to like the guy - but I just don't see it in his vids - he looks a good slasher. Scouts love to label a guy the "new Dwayne Wade" but it never works out and I don't see any reason to see why it will this time. That being said 45 % from 3 on 2 attempts a game is encouraging and I think if Minesota gets the chance they will take him.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Shade8780
ross

I thought Nerlens Noel was the consensus #1 prospect?
Shade8780 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
waseem780
Joel Embiid NextGreatC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
I thought Nerlens Noel was the consensus #1 prospect?
he was until the ACL injury
waseem780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99

you will be surpised hardway jr is just a year older than mclemore.

i actually would like the celtics to get hardaway in this draft ... and let go of crawford and lee...
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: