Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #2656
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What are you reading?

I've seen parts of the movie here and here and a couple episodes of the show so I thought I'd actually real the actual novel.
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #2657
eurobum
High School Varsity 12th Man

eurobum has no real reputation yet.

"The Singularity is Near" - Ray Kurzweil
eurobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #2658
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

WWRWestbrookDo? has an OK reputation so far

WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #2659
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

We gonna pretend like this thread doesn't exist, Mr. Black Friday Brawler?

I'm reading this.

BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #2660
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Half way through and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'll write a review on here when I finish because it's interesting to see how the debate between Keynsianism and Austrian economics has largely stayed the same since the 1930s.

Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #2661
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

bathroom reading:

- "a history of the world in 100 (archeological) objects" - neil macgregor.
- "the lives of a cell" - lewis thomas

last good graphic novels / bandes dessinees i've read:

- "blankets" - craig thompson
- "a jew in communist prague" - vittorio giardino
- "the sojourn" and "the raven's flight" by jean-pierre gibrat
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #2662
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

didn't see this til now

Quote:
It was a very good read and I'm sure I will go through it again in a few years. I'll probably check into that philosophy podcast to get their take on things.
not sure if you've listened to it yet but they come to a similar conclusion as you and me, even if there's was out of rigourous thought and method where as ours was out of confusion. it's not really coherent. the link between the truth seeking of the scientific method and the.... truth feeling (?) of eastern philosophy can only be tenuously established at best. where i landed, or at least what i took out of the book rather than trying to read into the author's intent, was that the main character's plunge into the ins outs and absurd contradictions of "quality" exemplified what can happen when you take the hunt for real grounded definitive answers too far. you lose your fking mind lol. and i suppose through the history of philosophy, there's case study after case sstudy of just that.

end point being if you try to highlight a single concept as a way to ground an entire system thats supposed to encompass everything in existence, it inevitably breaks down. no matter what the concept is, the world doesn't allow for that kind of axiomatic simplification.

thats my shallow take on it anyway, and i call it shallow because most of the book in that regard went over my head, as did parts of the podcast. but even if the thesis isn't revelatory or groundbreaking or anything, he still has all sorts of little insights throughout that make it worth the read.

i just started the road, very good already and it shouldn't take long. after that i might pick up Creation by Vidal, my library has it and i remember Dasher recommending it a while back. i read Myra Breckenridge and Myron (the sequel) a few months ago and was blown away, such a fluid writer and a lot of its blatantly obnoxious just to push the reader's buttons i think. tho i expect his historical fiction wont be like the avant guarde sex stuff. looking forward to that.

i'm also poking through a copy of the Pentagon Papers that a friend loaned me a while back, now seems kinda relevant. i keep thinking of a quote, "comparing yesterday's lies to tomorrow's leaks"
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #2663
irriducibili
Banned

irriducibili has an OK reputation so far

Mein Kampf
irriducibili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #2664
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by irriducibili
Mein Kampf
what about your struggle?
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #2665
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Creation was great. It may be my favorite book.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #2666
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Very deep stuff
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #2667
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mo Meta Blues by ?uestlove (of the Roots)
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #2668
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

Ol Dirty Bastard has not been impressing people

anyone here read 11/22/63 by S King?

Im thinking of picking this up but its very long (800-1000 pgs)
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #2669
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

PEOPLE WHO EAT DARKNESS

It's a true story and the reporters account on following up on a British woman who travelled to Japan and worked as a hostess and a customer (who was a cult leader) kidnapped and murdered her (although she was never found and it was never definitely proven 100%). It was a big news story in both countries, and was going on while I was there. Basically everyone involved including the victim seems to be hiding things.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #2670
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

I finally read 1984 for the first time in my life. I finished it up at the same time the whole NSA shit went down. Coincidental.

I burned through Born to Run over two weeks.

Totally changed my outlook on running.

I'm back to reading again and I'm happy for it.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: