Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Why do you love/hate Grand Theft Auto IV?

They went for a too realistic game and I was more interested in a GTA that had arcadey controls. If it played like the previous GTA's in terms of driving controls, I think the game would be a lot better.

GTA needs to decide if it wants to be a realistic game or a game that puts fun first at the sake of realism.

Just gimme a GTA San Andreas with better graphics. Don't overthink it Rockstar.
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
This type of reasoning makes no sense to me. "I enjoyed game X, which came out 3-4 yrs after GTA IV more so that explains why I don't like GTA IV."

GTA games should be the kings of sandbox games until the next GTA game comes out...

Even though Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 came out much later than GTAIV, you can't say that the reason those games are preferred by many is because of technical advancements.

The graphics in GTAIV still hold up today and to be honest Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 use cartoonish and bright art styles to get away from detail.

Feature and content wise, GTA IV is longer than both games and the DLC that comes out for it later on is some of the best DLC you can find in the industry for games in terms of bang for your buck.

The physics in GTAIV is also more refined than those two games.

Overall money input to GTA IV dwarfs that of Sleeping Dogs / Saints Row 3. GTA IV is a triple A title that has tons of hands on it.

A game being 'fun' has less to do with where it is technically. It's why people compare Vice City and San Andreas when we all know San Andreas is technically superior because it came out later, they're compared because of the different gameplay experiences they offer.. the fun.

Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 just try to emulate what Vice City and San Andreas did. Give you a world full of things to do that are so fun it takes you away from the main story line often. GTAIV's environment was so freaking bland I felt forced to do missions. I never did any rampages or anything. When I was bored in SA I would go out to the mountains to cliff dive with my parachute or use one of the winding mountain roads as a place to rack up stars and eventually hold off the military there.

It's easier to contrast why you didn't like GTA IV when there are other devs offering fun sandbox experiences similar to what GTA is at its roots.
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
HomieWeMajor
Banned

HomieWeMajor is popular on this boardHomieWeMajor is popular on this boardHomieWeMajor is popular on this boardHomieWeMajor is popular on this board

Liked it because of the new engine
Disliked it because there was nothing to do after you completed it
HomieWeMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I didn't hate it, but it was a massive letdown for me. There were a number of reasons for it: mediocre story, uninteresting characters (I think Niko is the worst main character of any GTA I've ever played), TERRIBLE driving, poor shooting mechanics, many bland missions, those annoying relationship side things, etc.
After the masterpiece that was San Andreas, I was expecting something that would blow my mind, especially with it being released for the next gen of consoles. It was great graphically for the time, but it felt like it lost its soul (not to mention that it was almost cut to the bone, customization and playability wise). I didn't even care to finish it, that's how little I liked it. In my opinion, it's the worst of them all (GTA I & II not included because they're not comparable, but they were both a lot more memorable), and I've played every single one of them since the 1st., overhead perspective one.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I guess I get it now. San Andreas was an amazing game. I played it again earlier this year. I do agree that GTA IV was somewhat of a letdown because I expected just as much character/vehicle customization for it as was available in SA, but I'd be lying if I said I hate the game. It really is my favorite game of all-time.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #21
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
This type of reasoning makes no sense to me. "I enjoyed game X, which came out 3-4 yrs after GTA IV more so that explains why I don't like GTA IV."
Stallionaire summed it up perfectly but I just had more fun. It's not like they did anything too different or better, they just both had more things for me to do. Half the time I play games like this all I do is drive around as fast as I can trying not to crash. I don't want to feel like I have to do each mission but I do because playing around just wasn't as fun. That won't make sense to you since GTAIV is your favorite game of all time.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What makes GTA4 so disappointing to me is that Rockstar didn’t fix any of the obvious flaws of their previous games and instead tried to make improvements nobody asked for. They tried to evolve the franchise and made it worse as a result. To me it seemed like they wanted to make GTA increasingly mature. GTA 4 is a “mature” product: the story is serious and gritty, the parody is less obvious, they try to introduce a couple of very deep themes, the city is realistic, the driving is realistic. It’s a marketing plan, all the people who bought Vice City and San Andreas had grown up, so they felt it was time to make a game for an audience that’s 6 years older than the audience they made Vice City for. The failed improvements they tried to implement contrasts the thing they didn’t try to improve at all: the combat and the sandbox elements of the world.

One of the reasons people ran away with Saint’s Row and Sleeping Dogs is because those games picked up Rockstar’s “garbage” in that sense. Rockstar tried for more maturity, so Saint’s Row focused on making something more juvenile. Saint’s Row is entirely centered around parody, easy entertainment and creating the most sandboxy experience they can.

GTA moved away from creating a world around a certain niche, the setting of GTA4 doesn’t really play a part in the story at all. So then there is Sleeping Dogs where the setting exudes from every aspect of the game.

Last edited by LJJ : 07-02-2013 at 07:00 AM.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I loved the story, but after that there isn't much to do
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #24
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board

Never seen such as Great Horrible game before. Speaking strictly for the GTA franchise, they kind of let us down.

Instead of improving they seemed to downgrade every feature we loved, except the graphics which would obviously be better considering it was next gen. I'll make my points sweet and short below:

1.The city to me was too small and unexplorable.
2.Niko's character was pretty clique and boring.
3.Missions were boring and repetitive (which can be factored upon #1).
4.Lack of Extras such as: Customization, Weapons, Combat, Interaction, etc.
5.Improved but Ridiculous Physics: No being able to cut corners properly with cars, Niko's combat and walking disadvantages, unrealistics falling speeds, etc
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
Micku
NBA lottery pick

Micku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's like Rockstar took a step forward with the engine (shooting, cars and etc), but took a step back from the features.

Like for example: GTA: SA basically done almost everything GTA V is doing. Car customization, person customization (clothes, tattoos, make your character fat, skinny, buff), learn different fighting styles, buy houses, have a business, start a gang war, different girlfriends who have different perks that can help you out I think, RPG elements to level up your skills (guns, cars, swimming, flying), jetpack, jets, parachuting, and etc. And there might be other stuff that I'm forgetting.

Most of these features were not in the vanilla GTA 4. That is disappointing. But the cherry on top were the missions. I didn't think they were as versatile as prior GTA games. And they were more scripted and repetitive. And they were easy, but I guess this is more subjective than my other complaints.

I didn't mind the city. I loved the detailed city. But I prefer the exploration of what GTA: SA offered. And I love the GTA 4's story and character. Niko was pretty awesome and the dialogue in the game was pretty interesting. I think Rockstar is getting better and better at telling a story. The fact that many critics rate GTA 4 soo high contributes in my disappointment too. It didn't live up to the hype to me because it wasn't even my favorite GTA game of the series, that was GTA: SA which had way more features in the single player.

Anyway, GTA V looks like a real sequel that I would've wanted for GTA: SA. GTA 4 was a very good game, but I think I would've been more impressed if GTA: SA never existed.
Micku is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: