Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Thumbs up Bobcats and Henderson reach a deal

Source: Bobcats, Henderson reach deal

By Rick Bonnell
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Saturday, Jul. 27, 2013
Streeter Lecka - Getty Images File Photo
The Charlotte Bobcats and shooting guard Gerald Henderson, above, have agreed in principle to a three-year, $18 million contract extension, a knowledgeable source confirmed Friday night.
Store |
MORE INFORMATION
Bobcats to play games in Asheville, Greensboro

The Charlotte Bobcats and shooting guard Gerald Henderson have agreed in principle to a three-year, $18 million contract extension, a knowledgeable source confirmed Friday night.

The deal, first reported by Yahoo Sports, will give shooting guard Henderson the option to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2014-15 season.

A restricted free agent, Henderson was second on the Bobcats in scoring last season at 15.5 points per game. He finished strong, averaging 23.9 points over the last 23 games, on 48 percent shooting from the field and 86 percent from the foul line.

Henderson accepted less money in return for the player option after the second season of the deal.

Henderson and point guard Kemba Walker acted as co-captains last season. The Bobcats drafted Henderson 12th overall in 2009 out of Duke. After four seasons, he’s the Bobcats’ longest-tenured player on a roster that has experienced considerable turnover the past three years.

With Henderson returning, it appears the Bobcats have completed their major off-season transactions. Earlier in the free-agency period the Bobcats committed $41 million over the next three seasons on center Al Jefferson, a low-post scorer who last played for the Utah Jazz.

Before signing Jefferson, the Bobcats drafted Indiana forward Cody Zeller fourth overall. Zeller excelled this month in Las Vegas, being named to that summer league’s all-tournament team. So was shooting guard/small forward Jeff Taylor.

Henderson’s return projects a starting lineup for next season of him and Walker at the guard spots, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Zeller at forward and Jefferson at center. Bismack Biyombo, Taylor and Ben Gordon figure to the top three players off the bench in the 2013-14 season.

Su

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Default Re: Bobcats and Henderson reach a deal

That's a sweet deal.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

Agree, this is a great deal for the Bobcats. I was realistically thinking he'd want a deal between the $8-$10mill range per year, but $6mill a year is great. He's only 25 too, so he has a few more years where he could get even better.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukballer
Agree, this is a great deal for the Bobcats. I was realistically thinking he'd want a deal between the $8-$10mill range per year, but $6mill a year is great. He's only 25 too, so he has a few more years where he could get even better.

Glad they got this done. Good deal for both parties.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Glad they got this done. Good deal for both parties.

Eh, considering Derozan is going into a new 40+/4 contract this season I wouldn't be too thrilled with my agent right now if I was Henderson.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Eh, considering Derozan is going into a new 40+/4 contract this season I wouldn't be too thrilled with my agent right now if I was Henderson.

Hendo has a player's option in his contract. That's a good thing for Hendo.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Like rufus said, good deal for both parties, with perhaps the 'Cats coming out slightly on the better end. Henderson is a very talented guy, and I've opened up to him whereas when we initially drafted him I was skeptical and thought to myself "here we go again" - another "hometown" (Duke) pick, but this one is working out thus far.

Henderson has shown flashes of greatness, just not consistently enough to have us open the checkbook and say "how much!?" ... but in three years, who knows? I think these next few seasons will be Henderson's moment of truth, if you will. I don't think it's likely, but it's possible G.H. could blow up and develop into one of the league's premier swing-men, elevating from a 15ppg to the 22-24 range, all the while improving his defense and crashing the boards, then maybe we can talk about mega dollars. At the present, 6 mil a year seems fair.

Like wicked said, we needed to sign him. No question about it. If he were to "blow up" we'd rather have him do it in Charlotte instead of anywhere else.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

I'm hoping Hendo has a breakout year. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of improvement from Jeff Taylor too.

Kemba/Sessions/?
Hendo/Gordon/Taylor
MKG/Taylor
Zeller/McRoberts
Jefferson/Biz/Haywood

That's starting to look like a legit NBA team.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I'm hoping Hendo has a breakout year. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of improvement from Jeff Taylor too.

Kemba/Sessions/?
Hendo/Gordon/Taylor
MKG/Taylor
Zeller/McRoberts
Jefferson/Biz/Haywood

That's starting to look like a legit NBA team.

I want to see Hendo have a breakout year and after that he'll want an arm and a leg to re-sign with us given his free agent status in season 2014-2015. And yes I agree that Taylor will feel his wheaties this year.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
insidehoops
Administrator

Henderson, who averaged a career-high 15.5 points per game last season, is particularly excited about the addition of big men Al Jefferson and Cody Zeller, who he said will not only help the team, but should also free up open looks for him and the team's other guards.

"I think with more attention on guys down low it frees up the perimeter a bunch," Henderson said. "Any team with a good big man, you will see the guards get more freedom and have more open shots. With Al, teams are going to have to double team him so you have more chances for open shots."

Henderson is eager to cash in.

-- AP
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: