Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: What do you look for when picking players in a pickup game?

I've always sort of been in camp with Diegio and Amberfire up there.

I like guys who know how to play. Guys who I think will be fun to play with. I always considered myself a passer, so I like guys who cut, move without the ball, find creases and nooks and crannys and drift to open spots around me for jumpers.

I like a team that's gonna be fun to play with. Although I will admit I do really enjoy playing with a big guy who really knows how to play. One that can play a little high post hand off with me. One who lets cutters work off of him in the low post. And most bigs like playing with me because I'm always concious of getting them the ball. But good ones that actually don't just shoot it upon touch aren't easy to find.

In my most recent playing excursion, when I blew out my achilles, I had found a team of grown men, we were playing in a men's league that was frankly way too young for us. "Men" was probably not accurate. But our primary four were 30, and 3 35s. Anyway, for the first time in forever, there was a guy that I felt was better suited to playing PG than me. He was a little shorter. A little better pure shooter. Not quite as good getting to the hoop or playmaking. So I stepped aside and played SG next to him. We didn't win much, in part because we were really thin on the bench in addition to being 10 years older than every team we played, but the two bigs both loved playing. We both were constantly looking in. But you could also play pick and roll/pop with either of us, and if I got into the lane and you gave me an angle, there were layups to be had.

The four of us got many compliments all season long in spite of our lousey record.

I'm generally one of the bigger guys and as a good shooter, hustle, defense, etc. I pick players that can mesh my skills. My first pick is normally a ball handler. My second pick is a big just in case I have to step out and guard a shooter with a hot hand. The rest are good defenders that don't chuck. My biggest pet peeve is players that don't get back on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    Everybody loves you there , I guess...
    I'm a great passer. I don't mean to say I'm selfish with the ball. I just prefer to pick as much size as possible to dominate the paint.

I don't need ball handlers or shooters. Shooters in pick-up are rarely consistent enough. It's better to pick the people that can get offensive boards, blocks, finish in the paint, etc.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

I always pick up a big who can block shots and or rebound. The rest of the guys can be trash. Just as long as I get to ballhog or chuck away Jamal Crawford mode its fine

People I get along with. It's pick up ball, I don't want to play with assholes on my team who take it so seriously.

Rebounder/defender first, then a PG. I play the post and PR/PP myself, so if I'm picking I look for a good PG.

Good defender, rebounder, and shot blocker.

Players who hustle are all I care about... I mean they can't be like a chicken with it's head cut off but ya know someone with a basic understanding of the game but a crazy work ethic is what I appreciate.

Scal
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I know most of the guys who play in the park around my area. Personally I like running with guys who play the game the right way, knuckle down on D, and move the ball to the open man. Regardless of overall skill level, I'd rather play with a team first guy and lose than play with a chucked that will probably win you a game, hog the ball, and cuss you out when you are busting your arse.

Usually if you don't know the guys you're playing with, you can tell a lot by their practice routines. Those practicing their Iverson crossovers are liking going to freeze you out the game (intentionally or not), while those doing a semblance of a warm up drill I'm probably going towant to play with.

anyone i know is getting picked by me. If it's randoms I go by height order

High ball IQ. You don't necessarily need the most athletic players. There's athletic freaks who can't shoot, dribble, or play D. Those types of players are only effective if they have a PG who likes to run.

I'm primary of a post-up player that uses a few moves to score. I can pass out of the post pretty well and I'm a solid shooter. First person I go after is a guy who can handle the rock and shoot. Next would be shooters who I can pass dish it out to when I go down low. Last, I'd find another post player who can dominate the front court.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

people who hustle, nothing better than seeing scrubby looking white/unathletic guys run a team of cocky ballersoff the court

Whoever has the biggest bulge.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    Whoever has the biggest bulge.