Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #331
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Jorge Sierra: ASM's Andy Miller announces Justin Zanik leaving the agency effective August 31 to join the Utah Jazz as assistant GM. Twitter @*********
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #332
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Bill Oram: Dennis Lindsey says on @1280thezone that conversations about extending Favors, Hayward are ongoing. But willing to let market dictate price. Twitter @tribjazz

Looks like the Bucks may be setting the price for Favors now. I'd guess Hayward is more likely to sign. They have a lot better idea what they have with him I think. If they can get Favors for 10-12 they probably have to roll the dice that he'll live up to the hype because he could get a lot more next summer. Hayward to for that matter especially with them getting the chance to take the reins of the team. But I guess that could go either way if they have dissapointing seasons. Hayward might get something similar though the new CBA does seem to have had an effect on spending.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #333
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jody Genessy: Jazz promote David Fredman to director of pro player personnel and Richard Smith to executive director of basketball operations. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Bill Oram: Hired former interns Bart Taylor (coordinator of scouting) and Isaiah Wright (asst. strength and conditioning coach) Twitter @tribjazz

Fredman has had a lot of different positions with the team over the years. Think he's been with the team the longest by far now probably. Maybe since the b eginning in NO? Certainly since the early Utah days. Actually come to think of it he may have left to another team for a while?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #334
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The euphoria Jazz fans felt when the team acquired Trey Burke in the NBA Draft could soon be waning.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a nice move.

I’m just sayin’.

This isn’t going to be an easy recovery.

SI.com came out last week with its preseason power rankings, via writer Chris Mannix, and he had the Jazz ranked 14th of 15 teams in the Western Conference. The only team Mannix rated below Utah was Phoenix.

Phoenix has better proven vets. Jazz have better young guys.

Quote:
I believed this in June and I haven’t changed my mind: The Jazz didn’t have a lot of options. They knew where they were going with the Jefferson-Millsap approach – mid-to-low end of the conference.

Better to roll the dice.

It’s going to be painful and with what they have now, it won’t be smooth. They’re at least two All-Stars away from being serious, maybe more. In fact, Mehmet Okur, Andrei Kirilenko and Devin Harris were All-Stars and even played on the same Jazz teams. They didn’t go far.

Neither will this team, as it stands.

I know it’s early, but this might be a good time for Jazz fans to temper expectations. Sports Illustrated can see that from a distance. From up close, it might have looked better a couple of months ago than it really was.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #335
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not sure what people are expecting from the young Jazz? 20 wins will be a good result from my perspective. It's not really about winning games at the moment, it's about development and seeing if the guys they've recruited have it in them to carry the team in the future or not.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #336
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

I'm hoping they win at least 10 so they aren't the worst team ever. Could definitely be the worst Jazz team ever which would be saying something considering their early history. Most people want them to finish with one of the worst records so they will get one of the studs in the next draft. Hard to imagine that they won't and would be pretty disappointing if they didn't with the obvious tank job they're doing.

See what they have so they know who they want to pay in the next couple years(Hayward and Favors might get paid beforehand though). See if they want to bring Neto and possibly Tomic over next year based on what Burke, Clark and their bigs do. See if Biedrins, Rush and Lucas will be worth keeping around.

I think they should be more exciting anyway. Pushing the ball. Getting after people defensively and hopefully running the Jazz offense again in the half court. Looking forward to seeing what Enes and Burks can do in a featured role finally.

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 08-22-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #337
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Ronnie Brewer Considered Bulls, Jazz Before Signing With Rockets
Aug 27, 2013 12:12 AM EDT

Ronnie Brewer considered returning to the Chicago Bulls or Utah Jazz before signing with the Houston Rockets in unrestricted free agency.

"They play my style," Brewer said. "Dwight Howard is a defender, but can get up and down the court."

Brewer played with the Bulls for two seasons and was the Jazz's draft pick in 2006.

I liked him but not sure how he would have fit. Not sure how he fits with Dwight either though.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #338
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Trey Burke Wants To Make Immediate Impact

Aug 26, 2013 | John Schuhmann/NBA.com

Trey Burke feels pressure being the Jazz's starting point guard, but he also senses lowered expectations for the team from outsiders.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #339
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Over the next week or so I am going to dig inside the numbers on the our returning Jazz players. Here is the Alec Burks breakdown

OVERALL
• Year 2 jumps in three point shooting from 33% to 36%, however free throws per 36 minutes decreased from 5.5 per 36 to 4.1 per 36
• Shot just 71% from the line.
• Defensive rebounding percentage was up to 11.2%. Overall rebounding down but his defensive rebounding up could be very valuable
• Post All Star break – 45% FG, 39% from three.
• Post Feb 1st – 25 of his last 59 from three point range (42.3%) Overall 110-224 (49%) but just 3.2 FT’s per 36 minutes.

Shooting Locations Development
• Rookie year angle right three – 4 of 14 second year that became 10 of 25
• Corner three’s 4 of 12 2nd year that became 6 of 16 – 10 of 28 (35%) below league average of 39.5%
• Hit from straight away 7 of 16. Above the break was 27/76 (35.5%) league average.
• Restricted Area – (55.6%) down 3% from rookie season
• 5 to 14 feet – 17/58 (29%) up 3% from rookie season
• In Paint (non restricted) – 12/43 27.9% up 2% from rookie season
• Mid Range – 44/120 – 36.7% up 5% from rookie season
• 16 to 24 feet – 37/98 (37.8%) up 5% from rookie season

Notables
• Shot 33.9% in 1st half of games and 30% from three
• Shot 27.3% in 1st quarters of games just 90 minutes – 2nd quarter 36% 30% from three.
• This is not new – rookie season he shot 31% in the 1st quarter and shot 14% from three
• 4th quarter was his best 49.2% and 39% from three

With Gordon Hayward
• Burks a little less efficient – 41% FG and 33% from three. Rebounding up
• Jazz +4 per 36 with both on the floor
• Gordon scoring goes up to 20.6 pts per 36 minutes. Three point shooting sky rocketed to 47%
• With Burks no Gordon Jazz were -2.7 per 36 with Gordon no Burks Jazz were -2.7

Synergy Sports
• Spot up three pointers – 37.7% (23 of 61)
• Transition – ranked 266th scored on 51.7% turned it over 14.4% and shot 50.6% with 1 of 10 from three.
• Pick and Roll with the ball – ranked 88th – shot 36.5% scored on 37% of plays turned it over on 14.2%
• Strong off the cut shot 15 of 19 when catching off the cut.
• In isolation shot 38.5% (10 of 26) turned the ball over 15.6% and scored on 34.4% of isolation plays

From Locke. Everything looks good except the drop in getting to the line but I guess that goes with a better shooting touch.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #340
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
I liked him but not sure how he would have fit. Not sure how he fits with Dwight either though.
Would have thought they'd want another shooter.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #341
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Would have thought they'd want another shooter.

He could make sense playing with Motiejunas. Someone has to spread the floor to open up the inside for Ronnie like Okur did for the Jazz.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #342
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
When Utah Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin reached out to Alex Jensen about joining his staff, a number of qualities drew him to the D-League Coach of the Year and, likewise, Jensen to Corbin. That Jensen was a Centerville native and played a starring role on the University of Utah team that advanced to the 1998 NCAA championship game was low on Corbin’s list. Presumably, too, was this side benefit to five years playing professionally in Turkey: a unique ability to communicate with Jazz center Enes Kanter. "I’ve already sworn at him [in Turkish]," Jensen said, his permanent half-smile twisting into a full one. "Those are the first words you learn."

Salt Lake Tribune

A much-beloved local guy on the bench? Not a priority, said Lindsey. "I can understand why it would be a story and why it would be a question," he said, "because it’s hometown kid done well. But I think Ty first looked at the coaching acumen and the background and how he adds to our staff. It’s clearly an ancillary benefit but it’s not one that ... was at the top of the list."

Salt Lake Tribune

Someone to communicate with Kanter after they got rid of Okur.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #343
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Gery Woelfel: Told by sources Bucks in the market for established small forward. They made a run at Caron Butler last month. Will they again? Twitter @GeryWoelfel

Marvin?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #344
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-Fredette.html

Quote:
The Utah Jazz have made their decisions, as they will exercise the options on both Alec Burks and Enes Kanter. Does Kanter deserve it?

According to Grantland writer Zach Lowe, “Kanter hasn't done quite enough to justify a monster $5.7 million fourth-year option, but that's due to playing time issues; Kanter didn't play in college, and he's been No. 4 in Utah's big-man pecking order. He barely cracked 1,000 minutes last season, much fewer than we'd expect from a No. 3 selection working as a full-time rotation player on a .500 team.”

Based on what we've seen from Enes so far he'll be a bargain at that price. He's just continued to get better unlike the much more hyped Favors. I think he's barely scratched the surface of what he is capable of and now with Karl Malone involved in his growth it could really be exciting to see what he can bring to the table.

Quote:
Burks is an interesting combo player who can play both the point guard position as well as shooting guard. With a little more experience, Burks could prove to be a steal when he was picked 12th by the Jazz in the 2011 NBA draft.

“Burks has the toolbox of a nice rotation cog," Lowe said of Burks. "He's got the size and wingspan of a shooting guard and enough ball-handling chops to work as a secondary pick-and-roll guy. He also shot 35.9 percent from deep last season — exactly league-average, encouraging for a second-year guy who enjoys adventurous shots.”

He looks like at least a 6th man type if not a lot more. I had questions about him playing his game within the offense after his rookie year and he answered those last year. Can't wait to see what he does with regular minutes for the first time.

The big questions are on Favors and Hayward's possible extensions right now.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #345
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Hayward would probably attract a lot of interest from teams, but I don't see anyone offering an over the top deal, maybe $9-$10 million?

And I guess Larry Sanders 4/44 deal could be used as a gauge for Favors. He's the one that'll get the bigger offers.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: