Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 08-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default I hate GameStop

But I still shop there when I need something.

I hate them because they rarely answer phone calls; if you go into the store, their phones ring for long periods of time & the employees just stand around, acting like they can't hear the ringing.
If you call and ask for something that they need to check up on, they put you on hold for 5+ minutes. I know the assholes aren't really looking up the answer to my question.

And if you go in the store and ask a question, you quickly realize they very rarely have any useful information about games. Most of the time, the answer to every game related question is "Yeah, I loved that game." It could be any piece of shit game & they'll give you the same bullshit answer. It's as though they're told they can't answer a question in any other way.
"Would you recommend buying 'Hannah Montana Strikes Back: A Game of Learning How to Deal with Teen Drama' to play online with my boys?"
"Yeah, I loved that game!"

Their lines become ridiculously long, and they just work slowly as f*ck.
Sometimes I think the employees are mad at the world because they hate their own jobs, but I just don't understand the logic behind it. F*cking stupid really.

They don't give fair prices for trade-ins. I don't trade-in games anymore and it's all because it's a ripoff. You're getting screwed. I get that they need to make a profit, but you're telling me that a $60 game is now worth $20 just a few weeks after its release?

They charge more for the same product elsewhere. I bought a PS3 controller from them for $60, went to WalMart later and saw it was $50 there. Yeah, $10 is a big difference when it comes to videogame products.

I want to stop supporting them, but my only other option is WalMart/Target, which don't sell used games, or downloading games off the PSN, which takes countless hours on end and uses up extremely large amounts of MB in my hard drive.

Am I just overreacting to shitty service? Do you guys experience the same things with GameStop? I have experienced this at more than one GameStop. They have the slowest, shittiest service I've ever experienced ANYWHERE.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Jameerthefear
Elf = GOAT

Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: I hate GameStop

Only thing that is really bad about ours is the trade in prices and how they get you to try to sign up for something all the time. I haven't bought a game irl in a while. I only order off Amazon nowadays.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Rose
Moon Wizard

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Some of the ones here are horrible and very similar to yours. However if I'm going to shop at one (which I rarely do) I always go to this one where the employees actually give a ****, it's out of my way a bit but usually worth it. I always get good recommendations, in depth reviews, and one of their guys even gave me their paid membership free because we talked for about 30 minutes one day.

With that said, gamestop is a horrible place. You get ripped off for your games, typically the place smells bad, and they always badger you about buying a used version of a title if you bring them a copy of a new one. Don't get me wrong I like saving money, but there's certain studios I'm always going to support regardless of if it saves me a few bucks. I remember when I bought Fall of Cybertron about a week after it came out the guy asked me if I wanted to buy a used version. I said no "But it'll save you $4 off buying it new man, that's almost tax free basically" I told him I didn't care because I liked HMS more than gamestop. And he told me but you like your wallet right?

tl;dr: always use craigslist for selling your games. You almost always get more. Occasionally I trade in on Amazon but that's it.
Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I hardly ever buy from Gamestop. There's this big toy and video game store where I live that is much better. The employees are helpful and nice, give reasonable prices for games you trade in, and have just as much games as my local Gamestop. It also is the only place in the city that has the pre-order bonus with 2K, and last year, you didn't even have to pre-order to get the bonus lol. Pre-ordered my PS4 there.
Shade8780 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
Some of the ones here are horrible and very similar to yours. However if I'm going to shop at one (which I rarely do) I always go to this one where the employees actually give a ****, it's out of my way a bit but usually worth it. I always get good recommendations, in depth reviews, and one of their guys even gave me their paid membership free because we talked for about 30 minutes one day.

With that said, gamestop is a horrible place. You get ripped off for your games, typically the place smells bad, and they always badger you about buying a used version of a title if you bring them a copy of a new one. Don't get me wrong I like saving money, but there's certain studios I'm always going to support regardless of if it saves me a few bucks. I remember when I bought Fall of Cybertron about a week after it came out the guy asked me if I wanted to buy a used version. I said no "But it'll save you $4 off buying it new man, that's almost tax free basically" I told him I didn't care because I liked HMS more than gamestop. And he told me but you like your wallet right?

tl;dr: always use craigslist for selling your games. You almost always get more. Occasionally I trade in on Amazon but that's it.
Doesnt matter since I dont buy there but the my local one is in the mall and just down from Subway and another sandwich shop. The smells from there reaches to Gamestop so it always smells really good lol.
Shade8780 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
ballup
Fool Disguised Genius

ballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Luckily for me, I don't shop for video games often and when I do, I go to this video game store that is right next to the Gamestop in downtown. It doesn't rip you off when you sell games or when you buy used games either.

I knew someone who worked at Gamestop for a while. He hated it even though he got promoted a few times.

I remember buying a used game from them one time. It was scratched up like hell and could hardly work beyond the loading screen. It was a good thing that the people of the store let me switch it for another used title. I still am baffled at how they didn't buffer the disk let alone check its playability.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

I dont like them either... The workers are usually punks who act arrogant..

what you said about the long lines and the answers they give to questions is true also..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

For the most part what the OP says is true. Sometimes I'll ask employees questions that I know the answers to and they totally are trying to BS me with their responses. A few years back when Madden and NFL 2K were both competing for my gaming dollars, I asked an employee which one was selling better and he responded, "actually most people are buying both." I scoffed at that.....what a moron. It sucks too when moms go in there and they know nothing about games and they get bamboozled by clueless employees. I try to offer advice if it looks like it'll help.

The exception to this though is the Gamestop that I frequent the most. The guys there know what they're talking about. They're hardcore gamers and they genuinely try to help you out. It's rare, but Gamestops like this one do exist.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

There are two stores by me and the employees in both are pretty knowledgeable, though I've had the same problems when I try calling. There are however other stores in the area that are exactly as you described. Luckily the stores in my area aren't as bad.

I never ever sell my games there, at least for the last 2 years or so. eBay works better. I've played and sold a few games now that I eventually ended up buying GOTY editions of months later.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
KingMillions
I airball my layups

KingMillions has an OK reputation so far

I agree with ripping you off with the trade in values. What are other options for getting rid of games? I have a 360 with like 20 games and when I get the Xbox One, what am I supposed to do with the console and all the games. Is trading them in at gamestop and getting ripped off my only option?
KingMillions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Jameerthefear
Elf = GOAT

Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMillions
I agree with ripping you off with the trade in values. What are other options for getting rid of games? I have a 360 with like 20 games and when I get the Xbox One, what am I supposed to do with the console and all the games. Is trading them in at gamestop and getting ripped off my only option?
Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

idc, what ever gets me a video game
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: