Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Rodney Stuckey still among most talented on team

Rodney Stuckey's Salary: $8.5 million (final year of a three-year, $25-million deal).

Looking ahead: Even with the roster upgrades, Stuckey is still one of the most talented guys wearing a Pistons uniform and new coach Mo Cheeks mentioned Stuckey by name at his introductory news conference. He is in the mix to start at shooting guard in the season opener, but his expiring deal does have trade value.

-- Detroit Free Press
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rodney Stuckey still among most talented on team

I've always liked Stuckey. He's had stretches when he's been healthy where he's been really good. He's also had some stretches where he wasn't 100% and he wasn't really good. I feel like the coaches haven't always used him the best. Lawrence Frank didn't have a clue how to use him. It's really hurt his development. I do think Stuckey has a chance to start. SG really is a toss up though. It could be Chauncey too.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputationZMonkey11 has decent reputation

What is the correct way to use him? He's had ample time and multiple coaches at this point to figure out how to best carve out a role and still, to no avail.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
What is the correct way to use him? He's had ample time and multiple coaches at this point to figure out how to best carve out a role and still, to no avail.

It seems like lately they've been having him try to play off the ball, kind of like what Detroit used to do with Rip. They'd have him running off screens, etc. That's not Stuckey's game. He was far better when he could create.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputationZMonkey11 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
It seems like lately they've been having him try to play off the ball, kind of like what Detroit used to do with Rip. They'd have him running off screens, etc. That's not Stuckey's game. He was far better when he could create.

Agreed, but when he created for himself, it still wasn't resulting in wins. He was given the keys to the team and didn't know what to do with it.

You could argue the case that he hasn't had a solid nucleus around him until now (or at least we think this group will stick around for a bit). But even when give the keys to the team, it didn't result to us getting into the playoffs.

I think it's time to part ways with Stuckey and like you said, let KCP get those minutes.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
Agreed, but when he created for himself, it still wasn't resulting in wins. He was given the keys to the team and didn't know what to do with it.

You could argue the case that he hasn't had a solid nucleus around him until now (or at least we think this group will stick around for a bit). But even when give the keys to the team, it didn't result to us getting into the playoffs.

I think it's time to part ways with Stuckey and like you said, let KCP get those minutes.

Those were just horrible teams though. There's a lot of all-star caliber players who could have had the keys to the team and not got the Pistons to the playoffs. Plus there were a ton of injuries too. I feel like Stuckey has a good chance of being dealt, because like I've said before this team is still a player away. Stuckey is on a good contract that expires and I'm sure his talent draws at least some interest. He could be packaged with someone.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker is considered somewhat coolAussie Dunker is considered somewhat cool

I think Stuckey would best be utilized as a 6th man who leads our second unit. I truly think he could be the elite combo guard off the bench in the league if he wanted to accept that role. He could put up 13-16ppg off the bench. Kind of like a Crawford / J.R / Loue Will / Mavs Terry type roll... Just needs to improve his shooting to become even more of a threat...
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: