Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #1126
Balla_Status
______________________
 
Balla_Status's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,912
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
Who cares about head to head series. And Mexico got out of the group stages in 2006 and 2010. Pretty comfortably if I may say so. And like the US, they lost in the first round of the knockout stage. Except to Argentina twice, where as US lost in 2010 to Ghana and didn't get out of the Group Stage in 2006.


And when I say to you people that Mexico has performed better on the internaitonal stage I mean that when they play top tier international teams in matches that actually count (not friendlies) they play better then the US. The US has two impressive performances in 09 and not many since/before. They luckily tied England on a lucky goal. They struggled against Algeria til the end. They did pretty bad in 06. Where as Mexico at least was competitive this year in the Confeds. They beat France in 10. Even in the 05 confeds cup they were more pretty competitive.

So they were "competitive" but didn't do shit and beat France who was complete shit in and basically quit the competition before it even started.

You have no support at all for your statement. USA made the confederation cup finals...thats a bit more than competitive.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #1127
b1imtf
raep tiem
 
b1imtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: k?
Posts: 10,493
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
Who cares about head to head series. And Mexico got out of the group stages in 2006 and 2010. Pretty comfortably if I may say so. And like the US, they lost in the first round of the knockout stage. Except to Argentina twice, where as US lost in 2010 to Ghana and didn't get out of the Group Stage in 2006.


And when I say to you people that Mexico has performed better on the internaitonal stage I mean that when they play top tier international teams in matches that actually count (not friendlies) they play better then the US. The US has two impressive performances in 09 and not many since/before. They luckily tied England on a lucky goal. They struggled against Algeria til the end. They did pretty bad in 06. Where as Mexico at least was competitive this year in the Confeds. They beat France in 10. Even in the 05 confeds cup they were more pretty competitive.
lol
b1imtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #1128
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox
 
ballinhun8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ehhhh, BANDWAGON BOSTON
Posts: 4,762
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
So they were "competitive" but didn't do shit and beat France who was complete shit in and basically quit the competition before it even started.

You have no support at all for your statement. USA made the confederation cup finals...thats a bit more than competitive.



I gave you a good amount of facts and games. You brush it off? That's fine. Basically means you give up with your side of the argument which was weak to begin with.


By hanging with the big boys it was meant as they can actually compete for a while in a game with some of the elite teams in the world where as most people will see the US and know they can't really keep up and beat an upper echelon team.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #1129
knickballer
Very good NBA starter
 
knickballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2010 offseason
Posts: 8,745
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
I gave you a good amount of facts and games. You brush it off? That's fine. Basically means you give up with your side of the argument which was weak to begin with.


By hanging with the big boys it was meant as they can actually compete for a while in a game with some of the elite teams in the world where as most people will see the US and know they can't really keep up and beat an upper echelon team.

lol, you're the one who called the head to head series irrelevant despite it being the best indicator of the better team.

BTW, if you want to use the 2010 WC Mexico was average at best. Drawing to South Africa, losing to Uruguay, Argentina(knockouts) and beating a French team that was revolting(who also lost to South Africa)?

And don't use that luckily stuff because US had clear disallowed goals against Slovenia that was well scrutinized.

Since 2000 US have won 12, lost 5 and drawed 4 times against Mexico. That says it all to me...
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #1130
b1imtf
raep tiem
 
b1imtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: k?
Posts: 10,493
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
lol, you're the one who called the head to head series irrelevant despite it being the best indicator of the better team.

BTW, if you want to use the 2010 WC Mexico was average at best. Drawing to South Africa, losing to Uruguay, Argentina(knockouts) and beating a French team that was revolting(who also lost to South Africa)?

And don't use that luckily stuff because US had clear disallowed goals against Slovenia that was well scrutinized.

Since 2000 US have won 12, lost 5 and drawed 4 times against Mexico. That says it all to me...
But head to head doesn't matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
b1imtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #1131
Balla_Status
______________________
 
Balla_Status's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,912
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
I gave you a good amount of facts and games. You brush it off? That's fine. Basically means you give up with your side of the argument which was weak to begin with.


By hanging with the big boys it was meant as they can actually compete for a while in a game with some of the elite teams in the world where as most people will see the US and know they can't really keep up and beat an upper echelon team.

Says the guy who brushes off the head to head series FACT.

You've nothing to support your statement.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #1132
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?
 
TheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,387
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Mexico is our shitty neighbor and their whole lives revolve around their national team, they think they are on par with Argentina and Brazil, kind of like how England thinks they are one of the top teams in Europe.


Therefore it is our job to shit on them and destroy them everytime our teams play, so that Mexshitco starts to learn its place.

DOSACERO
Take it easy, homie. It's not like it's a life or death deal we're talking about.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #1133
Fallen Angel
Let The Games Begin
 
Fallen Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,764
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

lol @ that head to head stat. Over the past decade these teams have been pretty even.

Since 2003 head to head stats (Not including friendlies, of course)

Wins: Mexico 4 USA 4
They tied once.

They're even, literally. Really cute how some fans act like USA is clearly above Mexico. Newsflash: Both countries have lower tier teams when it comes to football. They will both accomplish nothing at an international level especially in the world cup.

Germany 2006: USA did not make the round of 16, Mexico did and they lost in extra time to Argentina by one of the greatest goals ever in football history. YouTube it, Maxi's goal was pretty awesome.

South America 2010: Both teams made the round of 16. Mexico got knocked off by Argentina, a football powerhouse. USA was beaten by Ghana. Ghana! Not only that, it took a miracle goal by Donovan in the 90th minute for USA to make it past the group stage. Who were they struggling against? I forgot their name. Algeria I think.

Both teams have made 2 confederation cups since 2003. The best CONCACAF team gets to go, so.... If USA is so clearly better than everyone else, why was Mexico the one competing in the 2013 Confederations Cup? Not saying Mexico is better, because they're not. But to act like USA is some football powerhouse completely dominating the CONCACAF? That's facepalm worthy.

Best CONCACAF team right now, USA sure. Mexico might not even make the World Cup. In the grand scheme of things both these teams are relatively close. No team dominates the other. That's like arguing who has the superior offensive game between Kendrick Perkins and Chuck Hayes. Sure you could make a case for one player or the other, but in the end both these guys are pretty much equal.

I would not surprise me if USA becomes a football giant in 10-15 years. Football is just getting started here and we're getting better and better each and every year. Congrats to USA for making the World Cup once again. I hope we can make it to the quarter finals this time.
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #1134
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!
 
Quizno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 4,896
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel

South America 2010: Both teams made the round of 16. Mexico got knocked off by Argentina, a football powerhouse. USA was beaten by Ghana. Ghana! Not only that, it took a miracle goal by Donovan in the 90th minute for USA to make it past the group stage. Who were they struggling against? I forgot their name. Algeria I think.

yeah, the same algeria that england couldn't beat in that same WC
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #1135
Fallen Angel
Let The Games Begin
 
Fallen Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,764
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
yeah, the same algeria that england couldn't beat in that same WC

Yeah.

I just realized this will be Landon Donovan's 4th World Cup he's played in.

Korea-Japan 2002
Germany 2006
South Africa 2010
Brazil 2014

That's pretty impressive.
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #1136
RagaZ
Deal with it
 
RagaZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London
Posts: 4,824
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Thats impressive.

The only players to play in 5 World Cups: Antonio Carbajal(goal-keeper) and Lotthar Mattheus.

Donovan is "only" 31 years old. There is a chance he could play in Russia in 2018, so he could be a part of that club.
RagaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #1137
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 19,148
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Bulgaria got a warm welcome when they landed in Yerevan





qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #1138
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,507
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Huge game between Panama and Mexico tomorrow. Both teams are tied on 8 points for the fourth spot in CONCACAF qualifying (Panama has the edge in goals scored) with two games to go. The fourth spot gets a 2 legged playoff against New Zealand for a WC spot.

Mexico should have the edge here since they're playing at home but they've played Panama 3 times this year and have lost twice and drew once.

Mexico has a brand new manager and brought back some veterans like Rafa Marquez and Jonny Magallon and have added 2 naturalized Argentine players - Lucas Lobos and Chaco Gimenez. That should give you an idea of how desperate they are at the moment.

After this game, both teams have road games against already qualified teams (Mexico vs. Costa Rica and Panama vs. USA) which makes this game all the more important. Honduras is sitting pretty for the third automatic spot as long as they beat either Jamaica or Costa Rica.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #1139
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?
 
Lebowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,450
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Huge game between Panama and Mexico tomorrow. Both teams are tied on 8 points for the fourth spot in CONCACAF qualifying (Panama has the edge in goals scored) with two games to go. The fourth spot gets a 2 legged playoff against New Zealand for a WC spot.

Mexico should have the edge here since they're playing at home but they've played Panama 3 times this year and have lost twice and drew once.

Mexico has a brand new manager and brought back some veterans like Rafa Marquez and Jonny Magallon and have added 2 naturalized Argentine players - Lucas Lobos and Chaco Gimenez. That should give you an idea of how desperate they are at the moment.

After this game, both teams have road games against already qualified teams (Mexico vs. Costa Rica and Panama vs. USA) which makes this game all the more important. Honduras is sitting pretty for the third automatic spot as long as they beat either Jamaica or Costa Rica.

Wow, it's kinda weird they resorted to naturalizing Argentines. I remember Lucas Lobos well from his Cadiz days. Very technical player, I liked him. I used to think he had the talent to play for a mid-table team in a good European league.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #1140
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 16,663
Default Re: Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
I gave you a good amount of facts and games. You brush it off? That's fine. Basically means you give up with your side of the argument which was weak to begin with.


By hanging with the big boys it was meant as they can actually compete for a while in a game with some of the elite teams in the world where as most people will see the US and know they can't really keep up and beat an upper echelon team.
LAWL USA has beaten Germany,Italy, Bosnia and Spain and tied vs Argentina in recent years.

Mexico is the team that gets destroyed all the time vs everyone decent.

That's why the whole world refers to them as Mexshitco.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy