Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > WNBA Forum

WNBA Forum WNBA Forum, Women's Basketball Forum - WNBA message board

Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation
Default Predictions for WNBA Awards and Playoffs

As the season comes to a close, let's make some predictions on the soon-to-be announced awards, and also the playoffs which will begin soon.

REGULAR SEASON AWARDS

MVP -
COY -
DPOY -
MIP -
ROY -
6WOY -

All-WNBA 1st Team
G -
G -
F -
F -
C -

All-WNBA 2nd Team
G -
G -
F -
F -
C -

PLAYOFFS

West
Minnesota Lynx vs Seattle Storm
Los Angeles Sparks vs Phoenix Mercury

East
Chicago Sky vs Indiana Fever
Atlanta Dream vs Washington Mystics

Conf Finals
??? vs ???
??? vs ???

Finals
??? vs ???

Finals MVP -

I'll post my predictions in the next post

Last edited by wally_world : 09-17-2013 at 02:51 PM.
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation
Default Re: Predictions for WNBA Awards and Playoffs

REGULAR SEASON AWARDS

MVP - Maya Moore, Minnesota Lynx
Candace seems to be the favorite but Maya was on fire post all-star break, has been crazy efficient and her team has the best record, so I'm going with her.

COY - Pokey Chatman, Chicago Sky
Lynx coach possibly, but Chatman takes this for the huge turnaround of the Sky (though I feel EDD is the main reason). First playoff performance, as a 1st seed no less.

DPOY - Erika De Souza, Atlanta Dream
Tamika Catchings is the favorite once again but I'm sick of seeing her win. De Souza has been a defensive beast whenever I saw her play. Liz Cambage has a shot but she only played 20 games.

MIP - Glory Johnson, Tulsa Shock
Not sure of other candidates, might be missing some candidates here, but Glory Johnson had quite a breakout season. Didn't pick Liz Cambage despite her great increase in statistical output for the same reason as above.

ROY - Elena Delle Donne, Chicago Sky
No brainer.

6WOY - Monica Wright, Minnesota Lynx
Same as MIP. Mrs KD had a solid season though, 9ppg offensive spark off the bench.

All-WNBA 1st Team
G - Diana Taurasi
G - Elena Delle Donne
F - Maya Moore
F - Candace Parker
C - Sylvia Fowles

Elena will probably not make the team (esp since she's pretty much strictly played just forward in the season), but I'm biased. Angel probably the only snub, but she too played mostly SF. Not much to argue otherwise.

All-WNBA 2nd Team
G - Lindsay Whalen
G - Cappie Pondexter
F - Angel McCoughtry
F - Tamika Catchings
C - Tina Charles

All the picks were pretty easy except for the 2nd guard spot. Really wanted to give it to Augustus but I think people might not want 3 Lynx on the all-WNBA teams again.

PLAYOFFS

West
Minnesota Lynx vs Seattle Storm
Lynx in 2.
Too much firepower. Seattle had a good season despite missing Bird/LJ but the Lynx are just another monster all together.

Los Angeles Sparks vs Phoenix Mercury
Sparks in 3.
2 very very talented teams. Phoenix can definitely matchup talent-wise. But I think they have a ways to go to build chemistry, esp against an experienced Sparks team.

East
Chicago Sky vs Indiana Fever
Sky in 3.
As a huge Sky fan, I really really fear the Fever. They beat us in the regular season 3-1, Catchings will be all over EDD, and they are the experienced defending champs. I'm glad it's a 3 game series because if it was any longer I think Fever's poise will show. I expect 3 close games with multiple OTs, but the Sky eventually win behind Big Syl.

Atlanta Dream vs Washington Mystics
Dream in 2.
Not much to say here. Mystics shouldve been the 4th seed at best, and Atlanta is just too talented.

Conf Finals
Minnesota Lynx vs Los Angeles Sparks
Lynx in 2.
Sparks have talent to match the Lynx, but they are just a bad matchup. Would be like a replay of last year's Conf Finals, Sparks just won't be able to contain the offensive firepower of the Lynx.

Chicago Sky vs Atlanta Dream
Sky in 2.
I think Atlanta might have over achieved a bit this season. With Big Syl containing Erika and Angel having to deal with EDD/Piph/Swin, I don't think Atlanta will be able to produce enough offense to counter the Sky.

Finals
Minnesota Lynx vs Chicago Sky
Lynx in 5
I really really really want the Sky to win this, but it's going to be hard without home-court (which we lost in the final regular season game). I expect a close contest with EDD and Big Syl elevating their game to a new level. But the experienced Lynx takes this at home in a close game 5 with solid play from Whalen and a dominating performance from Maya.
+Sky/Lynx will return to the finals for the next 3 years and they'll split the titles 2-2

Finals MVP - Maya Moore
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: