Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

L3B120N J4M35 has decent reputationL3B120N J4M35 has decent reputation
Default Tryouts/Condition/Works Out Start Next Week.

I'm now a sophomore and I was cut from my freshman team. Myself and everyone else thought I shouldve made the team, but i didnt so this off-season i worked my ass off. Going to the y and just playing every game like it was my last. I practiced on and off, got used to players pressuring me to use my left hand. My left hand developed big time. So what should i expect in condition and workouts? last year we played games for most of the time and than ran at the end. Any Tips that you guys suggest? Thanks. Condition will prolly be from Sept-end of october and try-outs at the beginning of november.

Btw, i can bench around like 90/100 (incl. the bar). Is that good for a 5'6 125 sophomore? or should i be doing more?
L3B120N J4M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen

FreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Tryouts/Condition/Works Out Start Next Week.

1 week isn't going to make you a lot better than you are now but it can make you a lot worse. You worked your whole summer to be where you are now so keep practicing hard. Use this week to polish your game and go into tryouts with a chip on your shoulder. Also if you have a conditioning problem try running a couple miles everyday this week to give you an edge.
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
1 week isn't going to make you a lot better than you are now but it can make you a lot worse. You worked your whole summer to be where you are now so keep practicing hard. Use this week to polish your game and go into tryouts with a chip on your shoulder. Also if you have a conditioning problem try running a couple miles everyday this week to give you an edge.

thanks bro. appreciate it and i still got a whole prolly two months to go to the ymca and work on my game.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

bump!!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
bump!!

Did you have tryouts yet? As a coach I would say ask the coach what he thinks you need to do better this season to make the team. If you get cut ask him what you were lacking and tell him you really want to play next year and want to know what to focus on until next season
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
Did you have tryouts yet? As a coach I would say ask the coach what he thinks you need to do better this season to make the team. If you get cut ask him what you were lacking and tell him you really want to play next year and want to know what to focus on until next season

nah theyre in like nov. from now til then is scrimmaging and conditioning. Last years (freshman) coach said i need to improve my jumper and ball handling and get bigger and i improved my handling significantly and my jumpers pretty nice. I also did get a lot bigger and more physical. I just wanna know some tips you think i could do to make myself "stand out."
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
nah theyre in like nov. from now til then is scrimmaging and conditioning. Last years (freshman) coach said i need to improve my jumper and ball handling and get bigger and i improved my handling significantly and my jumpers pretty nice. I also did get a lot bigger and more physical. I just wanna know some tips you think i could do to make myself "stand out."

WORK, when your doing conditioning or skill work in front of the coach make sure you are the hardest worker in the gym
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

make sure you train hard but also REST!

you central nervous system can only take so much. don't run yourself into the ground or you won't see results. your muscles grow more at rest than they do during exercise.

As a coach these are some things I look for in players:

if you want to stand out, be the guy who sprints back on D, the guy who sprints to fill the wing, the guy who beats his guy down the floor on every play. This is the best way to judge someone's conditioning. If you are able to do this and it doesn't make your offensive game suffer, you are in pretty good shape (or everyone else is in horrible shape, but they wouldn't be in my gym if that was the case )

also I watch for players who have the most actions per defensive possession (deflections, traps, close-outs, etc.). I like to keep track of these things because it can help me judge more effectively who has the highest motor, work-rate, who covers the most ground on the court during each possession. Good defensive players are those that cause havoc when they are close to the ball, and the BEST defensive players are those who not only do that, but are CONSTANTLY around the ball or always actively involved in a defensive stop (blowing up screens, helping the helper, forcing a bad pass out of traps etc.)

Finally, on offense, I look for players who KNOW THEIR STRENGTHS and turn their apparent weaknesses into strengths. For you, you might see your height as a weakness (as would most coaches) but if you know how to use your speed and skill you can actually turn it into your greatest weapon. I would advise to work on your speed but also LATERAL QUICKNESS to show your coach that you understand what your own strengths are and that you are trying to maximize those strengths. So if your coach is looking for a solid back up PG, don't put up 1000 shots a day, do ball-handling/mobility drills, do defensive slide suicides, become exceptional at those aspects of the game that he will expect from the position you are trying out for. Ultimately, this is how I pick my players. I don't need 15 dunkers or 15 shooters, I have roles that need to be exhausted, and certain skills are necessary for those roles. Don't get caught up in trying to beat someone else at what THEY are good at. Use what your coach's expectations are to shape your training and vice versa.

BTW, I'm not saying don't expand your game, you MUST work on all aspects of your game, however, your training regimen must reflect the goals you wish to attain, and if you emphasize everything in training, you emphasize nothing! So have a goal-oriented training program that you set for yourself.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

thanks for the feedback guys. im trying. its been prolly a week of basketball/track conditioning, and when we scrimmage i feel like im not doing bad, but im not standing out. i notice i kinda lack of defense. what are some tips for better defense?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
thanks for the feedback guys. im trying. its been prolly a week of basketball/track conditioning, and when we scrimmage i feel like im not doing bad, but im not standing out. i notice i kinda lack of defense. what are some tips for better defense?

be as active as possible, communicate loud and clear, don't hesitate making quick decisions so that other players can have as much time to react to you

ie. if you go for a steal or rotate to help or go to trap someone, do it decisively. If you hesitate, the rest of your team will hesitate in adjusting accordingly. every move you make on the defensive end must be accompanied by some other movement from the 4 other players. great defensive players know this and augment the collective whole of the team's defense).

and keep you hands active and up at all times and stay in your stance at all times, you'll be surprised how many deflections you can get this way that you otherwise wouldnt get. an extra couple of inches could make all the difference between a clean post entry and a deflection that forces a post player to receive it further away from the basket or even forces a turnover.

and sometimes you have to be downright nasty. this isn't really a skill than it is a mindset. some players have it, some don't. But don't shy away from being physical with who you're guarding. until you're called for a foul, pester the shit out of anyone you guard, and most importantly move your feet and use your body to block/cut off angles I guarantee this will get you noticed.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
be as active as possible, communicate loud and clear, don't hesitate making quick decisions so that other players can have as much time to react to you

ie. if you go for a steal or rotate to help or go to trap someone, do it decisively. If you hesitate, the rest of your team will hesitate in adjusting accordingly. every move you make on the defensive end must be accompanied by some other movement from the 4 other players. great defensive players know this and augment the collective whole of the team's defense).

and keep you hands active and up at all times and stay in your stance at all times, you'll be surprised how many deflections you can get this way that you otherwise wouldnt get. an extra couple of inches could make all the difference between a clean post entry and a deflection that forces a post player to receive it further away from the basket or even forces a turnover.

and sometimes you have to be downright nasty. this isn't really a skill than it is a mindset. some players have it, some don't. But don't shy away from being physical with who you're guarding. until you're called for a foul, pester the shit out of anyone you guard, and most importantly move your feet and use your body to block/cut off angles I guarantee this will get you noticed.

thanks for the tips bro. ill be sure to use these on tuesday. when playing defense, do you play on your toes?
Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

always stay on your toes and never ever get out of your stance. You can play good D for most of a possesion and then waste it by standing up. This could be when a guy goes full speed and you're hustling your ass off moving your feet and then he suddenly pauses/hesitates and you relax and stand up just a little and then boom he blows by you. Or you could stand up or even worse leave your feet to contest when the guy was only headfaking/shotfaking and then get blown by like that.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:
thanks for the tips bro. ill be sure to use these on tuesday. when playing defense, do you play on your toes?

on the balls of your feet
Old 09-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

thanks. ill be sure to play good d. my shot is usually on, but in these scrimmages, god is it awful. im like 1/6 from 3 when im usually hitting like 4/6. is it cuz my nervousness or just a shooting slump?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: