Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Terrorists - Why AT LEAST 85% of the world are.

I find it strange that people justify their faith by saying only some Christians/Muslims murder, or are terrorists. I consider;

Genital Mutilation
    Faith Schools
    Wish thinking
    Anti Abortion/Stem Cell/Contraception
    Mental Torture (Hell Fire/Purgatory)
    "I can live with only one book"
    Censorship of material based on mythology

Terrorism.82-90% of all religious people will do AT LEAST one of these things. They can only be mandated by faith. As an Atheist if I take a stone to my sons' dick and cut it how can I justify it? All a believer needs to do is say; "The Bible says so".

Kill it now. It makes morally good people do wicked things.I agree with Freud, 2,000 years ago it may have been useful repressing some forms of violence, it provided comfort in a world where most people were peasants with a life expectancy of not much more than 35 years. In 2014 we don't need it. Discuss.

NBA Legend

Default Re: Terrorists - Why AT LEAST 85% of the world are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    I find it strange that people justify their faith by saying only some Christians/Muslims murder, or are terrorists. I consider;

Genital Mutilation
    Faith Schools
    Wish thinking
    Anti Abortion/Stem Cell/Contraception
    Mental Torture (Hell Fire/Purgatory)
    "I can live with only one book"
    Censorship of material based on mythology

Terrorism.82-90% of all religious people will do AT LEAST one of these things. They can only be mandated by faith. As an Atheist if I take a stone to my sons' dick and cut it how can I justify it? All a believer needs to do is say; "The Bible says so".

Kill it now. It makes morally good people do wicked things.I agree with Freud, 2,000 years ago it may have been useful repressing some forms of violence, it provided comfort in a world where most people were peasants with a life expectancy of not much more than 35 years. In 2014 we don't need it. Discuss.
    It's a fact that depression is more prevelent where religion is absent. Depression is more prevelent in societies with higher materialism.

Just because "Freud said it" does not make it true. Just because people arent farm-bound peasants does not mean they dont take comfort in belonging to a social institution with a message of morality and a promise of salvation. Honestly, whats it matter to you? You dont want to be religious, dont be religious. You want to condemn violence in the name of religion, condemn violence in the name of religion. If I find some atheist murderers does that mean nobody can be atheist either? Last I checked, in this world where 90% of people are religious we have put a man on the moon, created airplanes and telephones and artificial limbs. People affiliating with religion has clearly not stopped progress. So oops, there goes that argument.

Maybe its you who is lacking hobbies and fulfillment, such that you need to spend time desperately trying to show others youre totally smart cuz u liek figured out the bible isnt a 100% accurate scientific document. Wow dude! Its ok man, we just dont understand, we just havent listened to immortal technique yet like you have. We didnt take philosophy 101 in community college yet man. Bt we're so impressed with how smart you are bc youre talking down religious people. Ooh, cool and edgy! Wow!

Get a hobby.

Edit: no offense to you personally. That post is addressed too all people who espouse similar sentiments ad nauseum these days. You can let religious people be, and if they start to infringe on you, then just say no, your faith is your faith not mine, thats why society has secular rules. You dont have to argue with them about religion. Just maintain the approach to each their own, and insist that they do as well.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 11-16-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Oh Jesus help this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    It's a fact that depression is more prevelent where religion is absent. Depression is more prevelent in societies with higher materialism.

Just because "Freud said it" does not make it true. Just because people arent farm-bound peasants does not mean they dont take comfort in belonging to a social institution with a message of morality and a promise of salvation. Honestly, whats it matter to you? You dont want to be religious, dont be religious. You want to condemn violence in the name of religion, condemn violence in the name of religion. If I find some atheist murderers does that mean nobody can be atheist either? Last I checked, in this world where 90% of people are religious we have put a man on the moon, created airplanes and telephones and artificial limbs. People affiliating with religion has clearly not stopped progress. So oops, there goes that argument.

Maybe its you who is lacking hobbies and fulfillment, such that you need to spend time desperately trying to show others youre totally smart cuz u liek figured out the bible isnt a 100% accurate scientific document. Wow dude! Its ok man, we just dont understand, we just havent listened to immortal technique yet like you have. We didnt take philosophy 101 in community college yet man. Bt we're so impressed with how smart you are bc youre talking down religious people. Ooh, cool and edgy! Wow!

Get a hobby.
    I have no doubt it can give people a - false - sense of hope. Just as I am sure that some Islamic communities are correct when they say they help people get off of drugs. Doesn't make it true however. Just as it is proven that the standard of living and wealth income goes as a society loses religion (and the same goes for the other way around).

I never said it was true because Freud said it (as if to say everything he says is true, like Aristotle most of his work was incorrect) I just happen to agree with him on this

You have also clearly missed my point when you say;

"If I find some atheist murderers does that mean nobody can be atheist either?".

A) Atheism is not a society. We do not live like one another. The only thing Atheists have in common is their disbelief in a God. It is not a philosophy, not a pathway, nothing but a disbelief in God.

B) Murder can never be justified. Why I didn't mention it. Name me one thing only Atheists do that is evil? You cannot, I just listed 7 things I as an Atheist can not get away with, yet as a religious person I can easily.

Can't stand IT, more of an Odd Future/Mac Miller/Kendrick fan really. I also go to University, not a Community College. Not that it makes me better than anyone, afterall I don't make claims of infallibility (Catholicism), salvation (Christianity), absoluteness (Islam)...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing

Oh Jesus help this guy.
    Couldn't debunk anything I said.

Oh rationality, help this guy.

NBA Legend

I have no doubt it can give people a - false - sense of hope. Just as I am sure that some Islamic communities are correct when they say they help people get off of drugs. Doesn't make it true however. Just as it is proven that the standard of living and wealth income goes as a society loses religion (and the same goes for the other way around).

I never said it was true because Freud said it (as if to say everything he says is true, like Aristotle most of his work was incorrect) I just happen to agree with him on this

You have also clearly missed my point when you say;

"If I find some atheist murderers does that mean nobody can be atheist either?".

A) Atheism is not a society. We do not live like one another. The only thing Atheists have in common is their disbelief in a God. It is not a philosophy, not a pathway, nothing but a disbelief in God.

B) Murder can never be justified. Why I didn't mention it. Name me one thing only Atheists do that is evil? You cannot, I just listed 7 things I as an Atheist can not get away with, yet as a religious person I can easily.

Can't stand IT, more of an Odd Future/Mac Miller/Kendrick fan really. I also go to University, not a Community College. Not that it makes me better than anyone, afterall I don't make claims of infallibility (Catholicism), salvation (Christianity), absoluteness (Islam)...

Youre young and sheltered. I understand. I was the same way once. I was super liberal, I questioned every societal norm, I smugly derided religion. I had a PS2 and a car and new Timbs, what did I need religion for??? And if I didnt need it, why should anyone??? And why cant the govt just give equal money to all the poor people as all the rich people make, and everyone can live happily??? I thought an idealist society was as simple as me just telling everyone what I had figured out, and watching it unfold.

You'll learn that it doesnt work like that. At least, hopefully you will. Perhaps youll graduate college and get a job in the government and belong to a union where you get a bloated wage in exhange for voting democrat, and its virtually impossible to get fired no matter how much you slack. Perhaps in that case youll be a lifelong liberal but otherwise youll prob gain some perspective as you get older. There are a lot of people out there who, for any number of individual reasons, find their comfort in religion moreso than in climbing the corporate ladder, or being an instagram narcissist, or gangbanging and bein in and out of prison, or any other number of "get with the times yo" lifestyles. Different strokes for different folks man. Appreciate that we have a legislative separation of church and state, and you can pursue your life as you see fit, and other than that, just mind your business.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Couldn't debunk anything I said.

Oh rationality, help this guy.
    It doesn't need debunking. It's just an opinion. Your opinion.

You're the Uber-Liberal type that takes everything to extremes, that probably believes staring at someone is some form of harassment.

GTFO here. Everyone alive and breathing at this moment has free will to do so as they please. Those that willfully decide to murder and mutilate for land, power, wealth, or religion are the true terrorists.

Youre young and sheltered. I understand. I was the same way once. I was super liberal, I questioned every societal norm, I smugly derided religion. I had a PS2 and a car and new Timbs, what did I need religion for??? And if I didnt need it, why should anyone??? And why cant the govt just give equal money to all the poor people as all the rich people make, and everyone can live happily??? I thought an idealist society was as simple as me just telling everyone what I had figured out, and watching it unfold.

You'll learn that it doesnt work like that. At least, hopefully you will. Perhaps youll graduate college and get a job in the government and belong to a union where you get a bloated wage in exhange for voting democrat, and its virtually impossible to get fired no matter how much you slack. Perhaps in that case youll be a lifelong liberal but otherwise youll prob gain some perspective as you get older. There are a lot of people out there who, for any number of individual reasons, find their comfort in religion moreso than in climbing the corporate ladder, or being an instagram narcissist, or gangbanging and bein in and out of prison, or any other number of "get with the times yo" lifestyles. Different strokes for different folks man. Appreciate that we have a legislative separation of church and state, and you can pursue your life as you see fit, and other than that, just mind your business.
    You clearly never learned how to spell in your youth.

Wouldn't vote Democrat; not a a fan of Neo-Nazis and Fascists (which is what they are here in the UK). Also, there is no separation of church and state like you have in America. Our Queen (who I also believe needs to go, so no I am not 'super liberal') is the head of the state and the church. Anglicanism is our official religion. A church based on the values of Henry VIII

I am all for different ways of life. I am an individualist. I can't stand the fact that 90% of the men my age (19-21) are either dudes with half grown beards who play in horrible bands and want to work in the media or guys obsessed with gym-culture, who wear the same stupid top man shirts that say "Las Vegas" on them and consider themselves lads.

Having a personal God is fine. There is still a huge step to make from being a deist to a theist. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence if you are going to tell me about it, none has been provided.

You also answered none of my questions.
    Last edited by Nowitness; 11-16-2014 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    It doesn't need debunking. It's just an opinion. Your opinion.

You're the Uber-Liberal type that takes everything to extremes, that probably believes staring at someone is some form of harassment.

GTFO here. Everyone alive and breathing at this moment has free will to do so as they please. Those that willfully decide to murder and mutilate for land, power, wealth, or religion are the true terrorists.
    How is it an opinion? It is a claim of truth that the 'unenlightened' cannot have.

And no I am not, people nowadays are way to entitled with this personal space/invasion bull.

I agree, but when you push your beliefs on people (for example your kids) you need justification.

NBA Legend

you say;

Uh, yeah, you can do any of those as an atheist

Uh, yeah, you can do any of those as an atheist
    Wow! What are you not understanding?

If I take a stone to my sons dick and cut it how can Ii justify it?
    If I say I want my kid to go to a school with only Atheists how can I justify it?
    If I say I am against stem cell research as an Atheist how can I justify it?
    I can't say you're going to something I don't believe in.

As a believer, do you know how easy it is to justify?

"The Bible says so".

NBA Legend

Wow! What are you not understanding?

If I take a stone to my sons dick and cut it how can Ii justify it?
    If I say I want my kid to go to a school with only Atheists how can I justify it?
    If I say I am against stem cell research as an Atheist how can I justify it?

You dont have to, dummy. You can feel whatever way you want to, for whatever reason.

Youre an atheist right? How do you justify helping other people? We are strictly evolved animals, we should steal any time we can get away with it right? We should kill an old lady for 5 dollars if we can get away with it right? We shouldnt help orphans and the disadvantaged bc its more competition for us and our kids right? We should strictly be 100% selfish bc thats how we're evolved, and there is no afterlife or future reprecussion for doing so, right? If youre an atheist, how can you justify any other position?

You are not fundamentally different than any religious person, your chosen beliefs simply follow a more modernist narrative. Yeah, youve stripped away Noahs Ark and the ten commandments and prophets and messiahs... But you still convince yourself of many of the same underlying POINTS, which are not rooted in evidentiary scientific evolution. You believe what puts your own mind at ease, suspending or discarding logic when it is convenient for your own peace of mind. To some degree, EVERYBODY does that. Including you. I agree many religious people choose their position on stem cells/abortion/gay rights etc based on what the church tells them. The solution is to simply maintain that the church and its tenets do not have governmental authority on these issues and their acceptability will be decided by their secular merit. You dont have to run around calling kettles black just bc youre young and confused about your place in society. Do us a favor and just shut up until you grow out of it.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 11-16-2014 at 03:52 AM.

irony - the thread

NBA rookie of the year

Islam is a political ideology masquerading as a religion

You dont have to, dummy. You can feel whatever way you want to, for whatever reason.

Youre an atheist right? How do you justify helping other people? We are strictly evolved animals, we should steal any time we can get away with it right? We should kill an old lady for 5 dollars if we can get away with it right? We shouldnt help orphans and the disadvantaged bc its more competition for us and our kids right? We should strictly be 100% selfish bc thats how we're evolved, and there is no afterlife or future reprecussion for doing so, right? If youre an atheist, how can you justify any other position?

You are not fundamentally different than any religious person, your chosen beliefs simply follow a more modernist narrative. Yeah, youve stripped away Noahs Ark and the ten commandments and prophets and messiahs... But you still convince yourself of many of the same underlying POINTS, which are not rooted in evidentiary scientific evolution. You believe what puts your own mind at ease, suspending or discarding logic when it is convenient for your own peace of mind. To some degree, EVERYBODY does that. Including you. I agree many religious people choose their position on stem cells/abortion/gay rights etc based on what the church tells them. The solution is to simply maintain that the church and its tenets do not have governmental authority on these issues and their acceptability will be decided by their secular merit. You dont have to run around calling kettles black just bc youre young and confused about your place in society. Do us a favor and just shut up until you grow out of it.
    :

Yes, you do need to justify it (especially when it concerns other people) if questioned.

No we shouldn't. Have you ever wondered why so many people do the right thing when no-one is around? Aristotle/Paine called it the internal spectator we are forever trying to please. I can justify it as there is something innate in us to help our fellow primate. I don't give blood because of some celestial dictator. I do it because I like the idea that I lose nothing and someone gains something.

Even if you take the theistic position that God gave us morality are you trying to say (if you believe in Evolution) that for around 98,000 years the heavens watched with indifference as we raped, murdered and pillaged everyone in sight and then 2,000 years ago he said enough, so he sacrificed an eccentric preacher in an illiterate part of the Middle East to wash us of our sins?

And it is such a contradictory statement to tell someone to keep opinions to themselves. I am not against religious people expressing their views, I am against them having power/authority to implement those views without evidence for them either being right or beneficent.