View Poll Results: Who is the greatest athlete?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Walter Payton

1 4.35%
  • Jim Brown

1 4.35%
  • Tom Brady

2 8.70%
  • Jerry Rice

0 0%
  • Carl Lewis

0 0%
  • Jim Thorpe

2 8.70%
  • Michael Jordan

6 26.09%
  • Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

0 0%
  • Wilt Chamberlain

3 13.04%
  • Wayne Gretzky

0 0%
  • Pel

2 8.70%
  • 0 0%
  • 1 4.35%
  • 1 4.35%
  • 4 17.39%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Greatest athlete of all time?

Get yer votes in

hon. mentions: Bill Russell, Diego Maradona, Paavo Nurmi, Michael Johnson, Sugar Ray Robinson, Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt
    Last edited by 72-10; 02-12-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Default Re: Greatest athlete of all time?

What a horrible, murrican poll

No Federer, Messi, Ronaldo, Nadal, not even in HM's..

I have it as a 3-way tie between LeBron, Ronaldo, Nadal.

Dylan

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    What a horrible, murrican poll

No Federer, Messi, Ronaldo, Nadal, not even in HM's..

I have it as a 3-way tie between LeBron, Ronaldo, Nadal.

And he didnt even include the GOAT American, LeHung

Banned

no danny ainge on the list?

isn't ainge the only 3 major pro sport level athlete

but my list would be

#1 Babe Ruth
    #2 Wayne Gretzky
    #3 Tom Brady
    #4 Roger Federer
    #5 Jack Nicklaus
    #6 Muhammad Ali
    #7 Michael Jordan
    #8 Lionel Messi
    #9 Fedor Emelianenko
    #10 Michael Schumacher

no straight athletic competitors can make it for me. it has to be about more than just athleticism/cardio... and i can't list 2 guys from one sport either. if you're not the best ever at what you do then how can you be ranked ahead of a real GOAT

NBA sixth man of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
    no danny ainge on the list?

isn't ainge the only 3 major pro sport level athlete

but my list would be

#1 Babe Ruth
    #2 Wayne Gretzky
    #3 Tom Brady
    #4 Roger Federer
    #5 Jack Nicklaus
    #6 Muhammad Ali
    #7 Michael Jordan
    #8 Lionel Messi
    #9 Fedor Emelianenko
    #10 Michael Schumacher

no straight athletic competitors can make it for me. it has to be about more than just athleticism/cardio... and i can't list 2 guys from one sport either. if you're not the best ever at what you do then how can you be ranked ahead of a real GOAT
    There should be a different list for best 'sportsmen' and best 'athlete' (olympic guys)

The olympic guys are technically the best athletes.. Ashton Eaton is currently the worlds best athlete, overall.

BTW Mike Trout is on pace to be the GOAT baseball player even though he never gets talked about. Babe playing for stacked Yankees teams helps his case.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc.
    There should be a different list for best 'sportsmen' and best 'athlete' (olympic guys)

The olympic guys are technically the best athletes.. Ashton Eaton is currently the worlds best athlete, overall.

BTW Mike Trout is on pace to be the GOAT baseball player even though he never gets talked about. Babe playing for stacked Yankees teams helps his case.

if theres no professional league and all you do is wait 4 years for that one moment people care about you again ( and only because you're wearing their flag ) then you're not on the level of those other guys

when i think of an athlete i think of skill/popularity/competition/impact/achievements

when all you do is train in obscurity for 3 and a half years at a time you can't be put on the same level as a wayne gretzky/babe ruth/tom brady/michael jordan type

if theres no professional league and all you do is wait 4 years for that one moment people care about you again ( and only because you're wearing their flag ) then you're not on the level of those other guys

when i think of an athlete i think of skill/popularity/competition/impact/achievements

when all you do is train in obscurity for 3 and a half years at a time you can't be put on the same level as a wayne gretzky/babe ruth/tom brady/michael jordan type
    Popularity/attention has nothing to do with athletic ability. Winning a gold medal at the olympics is the pinnacle of athletic achievement. Impact? Competition? The olympics has more of that than any other sporting event by far.

That's why you need a separate list for sportsmen (guys who compete in a professional league) and guys that literally are the worlds best athletes. Because olympic athletes are just far more impressive and you're literally competing against the best in the world, instead of competing against guys in your own country on teams sometimes with dozens of guys. Two totally different worlds. And guys that dominate individual sports will always stand out on the sportsmen list because they actually are on their own and competing on a world scale.
    Last edited by AlternativeAcc.; 02-12-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Banned

Popularity/attention has nothing to do with athletic ability. Winning a gold medal at the olympics is the pinnacle of athletic achievement. Impact? Competition? The olympics has more of that than any other sporting event by far.

That's why you need a separate list for sportsmen (guys who compete in a professional league) and guys that literally are the worlds best athletes. Because olympic athletes are just far more impressive and you're literally competing against the best in the world, instead of competing against guys in your own country on teams sometimes with dozens of guys. Two totally different worlds. And guys that dominate individual sports will always stand out on the sportsmen list because they actually are on their own and competing on a world scale.

i'm friends with olympic speed skater Ivanie Blondin. she won a 2015 silver medal at the world championships

we play golf together sometimes when shes visits friends/family in ottawa

you probably never heard of her because they're nobodies. i didn't even list her in my famous people met/talked to thread

they're good at basic things... the best skater means nothing.. its pointless unless you're skating to do something... like play hockey

would be like someone being named an all time great athlete for winning a fastest player in the nhl award during allstar weekend

its a joke competition. we only take it seriously when national pride is on the line

i'm friends with olympic speed skater Ivanie Blondin. she won a 2015 silver medal at the world championships

we play golf together sometimes when shes visits friends/family in ottawa

you probably never heard of her because they're nobodies. i didn't even list her in my famous people met/talked to thread

they're good at basic things... the best skater means nothing.. its pointless unless you're skating to do something... like play hockey

would be like someone being named an all time great athlete for winning a fastest player in the nhl award during allstar weekend

its a joke competition. we only take it seriously when national pride is on the line
    how is olympic speed skating any more specialized than say... hitting a ball with a bat?

you're literally just picking and choosing athletes based on what sports YOU care about. And happened to include a guy that races vehicles.

Skating takes extreme body control, balance, leg dexterity, and focus. That chick is insanely impressive from an athletic perspective.

It's really not a black and white issue at all and there are way too many variables at play. The only real way you can judge this stuff is based on who dominated the most in their field, which even that comes with a lot of subjectivity...

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer really, but excluding guys like Phelps, Thorpe, Bolt, and Eaton is rather silly imo

Banned

how is olympic speed skating any more specialized than say... hitting a ball with a bat?

you're literally just picking and choosing athletes based on what sports YOU care about. And happened to include a guy that races vehicles.

Skating takes extreme body control, balance, leg dexterity, and focus. That chick is insanely impressive from an athletic perspective.

It's really not a black and white issue at all and there are way too many variables at play. The only real way you can judge this stuff is based on who dominated the most in their field, which even that comes with a lot of subjectivity...

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer really, but excluding guys like Phelps, Thorpe, Bolt, and Eaton is rather silly imo

lol@ summing up baseball as "hitting a ball with a bat"

btw i just now found out a white canadian won olympic gold in the high jump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW87tVnDKIU

didn't even bother watching that shit when it happened because its pointless

an athlete that needs to be elite at many skills to dominate a sport is infinitely greater an athlete

baseball and other major pro sports are scientific games built on strategy/calculation/multifaceted skills

when your sport is based on tunnel vision and 1 skill based 99% on athleticism then its a joke

and you're a joke for thinking otherwise

the fastest runner is 1/100th an athlete/competitor as the worlds top golfer. the brain power needed to win a PGA championship is infinitely higher

its worlds apart

Banned

simply put. the worlds "greatest athlete" is different than the worlds "most athleticism"

lol@ summing up baseball as "hitting a ball with a bat"

btw i just now found out a white canadian won olympic gold in the high jump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW87tVnDKIU

didn't even bother watching that shit when it happened because its pointless

an athlete that needs to be elite at many skills to dominate a sport is infinitely greater an athlete

baseball and other major pro sports are scientific games built on strategy/calculation/multifaceted skills

when your sport is based on tunnel vision and 1 skill based 99% on athleticism then its a joke

and you're a joke for thinking otherwise

the fastest runner is 1/100th an athlete/competitor as the worlds top golfer. the brain power needed to win a PGA championship is infinitely higher

its worlds apart
    Except you included a racecar driver on your list which goes against your entire argument. Fail. Racing on skates > racing in a vehicle

Again it's not black and white and I'm not gonna go back and forth with your dumbass.

And Bradman is the greatest sportsman ever which makes Kenny's list that much more laughable

Banned

Except you included a racecar driver on your list which goes against your entire argument. Fail. Racing on skates > racing in a vehicle

Again it's not black and white and I'm not gonna go back and forth with your dumbass.

car racing is one of the most mentally and physically taxing things to do on the planet

do you know what kind of physical endurance/arm strength/brain capacity/hand eye coordination/focus/memory/training goes into becoming the greatest F1 driver???

this f*cking moron

its not like playing playstation you stupid f*ck

if you f*ck up running you might trip and scrape a knee

now imagine f*cking up going 233 MPH ...sometimes you DIE

now imagine having to concentrate with the thought of imminent death being in the back of your mind at all times

such ignorance

the kind of g-forces weighing against your every move

give michael schumacher the body of usain bolt and give usain bolt an F1 car.... see who takes longer to mimic the other guys sport faster

give bolt 100 years and he'd never come close...