Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA Draft 2016

Local High School Star

Default NBA Draft 2016

All this and two picks this year.

Depth quality every year.

Well done Masai.

Assuming the picks fall in the 7 and 20 range

1) Jakob Poeltl ? German Center playing in Utah iirc.

2) Buddy Hield ? Sr playing on Oklahoma... saw some games of his last year and the guy looks like a complete package...

..or do you think the two picks are a package to move up ?

..or do you think the two picks are a package to buy someone?

Default Re: 5-0 ! Never too early to start talking draft picks

Yeah I love that Bargnani pick, we get the spot of whoever has a better record of Denver and Knicks.

They both could finish bottom 4-8, and we know the raps tend not to have any higher a 1st rounder when it's their own pick anyways

Poeltl is Austrian actually.

Local High School Star

Just noted some clips on a couple of guys I hope the Raps get a"good look at" come draft time.

1) Demetrius Jackson the heir apparent as a Notre Dame PG ... ND should get some press coverage in Toronto .. have to look for more highlights on the Utube.

2) Stephen Zimmerman from UNLV program. Note sure he will declare depending on depth of draft but 7 foot stretch bigs are all the rage right now so he should find himself in 1st round demand if he does declare.

Or maybe just draft for blood lines...

Sabonis and Gary Paton 2nd
    Last edited by Jballer; 11-13-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Raptors will own the lower valued pick of Denver/Knicks this year as well, so it's likely that along with their own pick, there could be a top 10 pick, or at least a late lottery pick.

Targets that could fit this roster:

Late Lottery: Ivan Rabb, Justin Jackson, Domantas Sabonis, Furkan Korkmaz.

Raptors Pick (early 20s?): Stephen Zimmerman, Caris Lavert, Buddy Hield, Tim Quarterman.

Personally, if all those names were available, I'd select Ivan Rabb and then see who the best shooter is left from the 20s.

Or perhaps trade both and get into the top 5 for a chance at Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    Or perhaps trade both and get into the top 5 for a chance at Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram.
    we can dream...

I don't think 7 & 20 = 1 or 2 but it depends on circumstances. Philly hardly needs more "1st rounders with potential". They probably need and impact kid and or a few vets.

---

You didn't actually say it but perhaps the raptors could combine picks (circa) 7, 20, Tross, Bruno and or some other pieces....

...for the 2nd overall pick of the 2007 draft

I'm dreaming I suppose...
    Last edited by Jballer; 11-16-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Default Re: NBA Draft 2016

I suspect it would take more than that, but it's an interesting thought.

DeRozan would almost certainly have to be involved, and I'm not sure how OKC would feel about pairing him with Westbrook.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    DeRozan would almost certainly have to be involved, and I'm not sure how OKC would feel about pairing him with Westbrook.
    Assuming he would actually consider Toronto ...which is a big big if...

1) wants to win
    2) wants to win a championship
    3) wants to win more than 1 championship
    4) wants to be surrounded by quality players so the burden is not on one set of shoulders.

I think the only way it gets done is by sign and trade. Get the max in Oklahoma and then trade the pieces to fit. Further there is no way Toronto would be a consideration for a talent that large if Derozan / Klow / Val were not a part of the roster after he arrived.

So a sign and trade (if even possible) probably needs drafts (2), future drafts (insert x), promising talent like Bruno, and perhaps established money on the court to "bridge the salary dollars".

Local High School Star

So update:

Various speculation boards around the 'internet thingy' are updated with March Madness approaching.

Most Boards still see the Raptors first pick (by way of Denver) matched up against 7'0 Centre UNLV Steve Zimmerman.

Now I like (the little) I have seen of Zimmerman (utube and clips). Even with Jonus and Bebe I think that Zimmerman would be a solid pick.

I simply doubt he will be around as pre-draft predictions generally seem to under value the fact that big men climb up the ranking at actual draft time.

Our excellent record has us falling down the order into the late 20's with our own pick in the first round.

Guy that intrigues me is Dwayne Bacon SG from Florida State (I think or maybe Miami) I have not seen him play I admit. Explosive 2 from the consensus predictions. Frankly a pick to light a little fire under Tross arse as well....

Furthermore - doesn't a guy named Dwayne Bacon seem a natural fit for Canada's team ???

Local High School Star

Bump....

March Madness about to start !

SI.com has their Mock 1.0 pre tournament ; frankly I am less than impressed. I don't think this one is close more darts than journalism but my prediction record is way off anyway so what the h e double hockey sticks

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/11/nba...brandon-ingram

--

Names

With the first pick names thrown around are: (1) Rabb from Cal (2) Hield from Oklahoma may be in range (3) Sabonis from Gonz... and (I think) son of the Portland great...

Chamberlain mentioned Rabb - have not seen his game. Will have to u tube it.

Zimmerman from UNLV has taken a large dip down the rankings to the mid teens and I had not read any derogatory articles... don't know why.

Our season performance is moving us into late 20s for our actual pick ; obviously going to be a prospect.

Gary Patton 2 sounds like a match ; still intrigued by having a player named Dwayne Bacon on the only [COLOR="Red"]Canadian[/COLOR] team

--

The one caveat in my opinion is that Mock Drafts tend to under rank bigs fairly consistently. Despite some thrilling GM moves from time to time (TRoss instead of Drummond comes to mind) ~ on draft day bigs seem to rise up. i.e. you cant teach size.

Brice Johnson (6'9, 225lbs, UNC) would be a nick pick.

Still can't believe Ujiri got a lottery pick for Bargnani

Local High School Star

Another Mock from SI.

I am not sure the guys on this are up to the task. There is so much wrong with this I cant begin....

But then my track record is hardly steller.

Until the main stream guys like Rob Mahoney post their mocks... I will lay off posting SI.com

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/04/01/nba...-dragan-bender

--

The situation is no clearer now although with the winning record we are looking to pick 10th and 27th - not 7th and 20 - something- ish

--

Hield keeps moving up the rankings post NCAA tourney and is out of our range.

Zimmerman keeps dropping "a lot" and based on mocks may drop out of the 1st round.

(A bit surprising to me but then I think Mock drafts miss the mark in undervaluing big men. There is a lot of analysis on upside for shooting guards, point guards, etc but you cant teach size. Team generally grab size higher than mocks).

The Knicks Pick:

Poetl the "Austrian not German" is still in range after a mediocre NCAA jaunt.

Rabb as well seemingly.

The lower pick :

A bit of final hangover here. Not sure the Raps automatically opt in for two guys who looked good in the finals....

Damion Jones Vanderbilt... hmmm

Brice Johnson Tar Heals...hmmm

...if Taureen Prince from Baylor falls lower ...or we could move up for a cash and 2nd rounder type deal.... liked what I saw in the tourny including his "quote"

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Prince-65231/
    Last edited by Jballer; 04-06-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Hield is definitely out of range now.

Poetl is talented, but is probably too stiff & mechanical.

Rabb is nice.

Local High School Star

My prediction (down for posterity sake):

If I. Rabb is not available by the time of our first selection...

Raptors "trade down" or "draft and swap" to get Brice Johnson NC Power Forward. Utah or Phoenix are the other team in the swap at positions 12/13.

I think he is a senior with maturity. Our success with Tar Heels picks has been pretty good over the years. Solid program. Skilled player at a need position.

--

2nd pick in the first round : Taurean Prince Baylor.

Local High School Star

I Rabb declares out of draft - back to school

SI.com 3.0

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/05/06/nba...am-ben-simmons

A "lot of movement" and some speculation in here. Mind you I am no good at perfectly forecasting the draft so why not.

Taureen Prince is rising probably to the middle of the pack where we don't pick.

Brice Johnson is holding just above where we do pick with our own.

Jaylen Brown - Cal is forecast in this mock to fall down to 9 - wow.

--

I guess the Management pick the best possible athlete any position in the 7 - 8 - 9 spot.

See if you can trade out of the very bottom of the 1st round to grab a Taureen for example. They tried to move up the year they took Bruno to grab both Bruno and the Canadian PG kid from Syracuse (name ??)