Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819

Default Re: Eagles WR: "I will fight every n***** here"

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsic
    We're having two entirely different discussions here. I'm talking about people you'd call your friends, not someone you just met. The social awareness falls both ways. Do you like to feel excluded amongst your friends? I don't.

I dont think you comprehend that friends have an understanding... Friends speak a certain way around each other..

If a white person is my (close) friend and we use that word in my circle? Then there will be no issue when the white person says it if they understand the CONTEXT in which the term is being used..

Like I said earlier, White people who tend to socialize with black people alot dont seem to have those problems...

Nobody gets upset if they use the word because they have the proper understanding of how and when to use the word..

Im not getting what is so difficult to understand about that...

and as far as feeling excluded... I dont feel excluded if I cannot call someone a b*tch or a n*gger thats crazy..

Like I said, I have friends who say things to each other that I wouldnt bother repeating... I dont even have a desire to say those things and I certainly dont feel excluded because they say it and I dont..

My sister curses around my parents... but I dont.. I dont want to.. It makes me uncomfortable.. I could probably get away with it if I wanted to but I dont.. Everybody doesnt have to have the same rules in order for people to have good relationships with each other.

Here's a good hypothetical...

Lets say I have friend who occasionally hits his wife in front of me.. Can I hit her too?

Am I being excluded if I cant ?

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1

If a white person is my (close) friend and we use that word in my circle? Then there will be no issue when the white person says it if they understand the CONTEXT in which the term is being used..

I'm probably wrong, but this reads like you enjoy holding the power to arbitrarily decide whether or not the word was used in appropriate context. I can't see any other reason there would be a qualifier emphasized with capitalization.

I'm not asking for a relative personal experience. I'm asking if you've ever considered what it's like to be the white guy amongst a group of mostly minorities. And, if that would change anything about usage of the word in those particular environments.

Here's a good hypothetical...

Lets say I have friend who occasionally hits his wife in front of me.. Can I hit her too?

Am I being excluded if I cant ?
    That's felony assault. How is that a good hypothetical?

I'm probably wrong, but this reads like you enjoy holding the power to arbitrarily decide whether or not the word was used in appropriate context. I can't see any other reason there would be a qualifier emphasized with capitalization.
    Context is capitalized because that is the key to this whole discussion. Its not arbitrary.. It is defined by the conversation and the person's relationship with the people he is talking to...

If you just met some black guys and you are becoming their friend? Dont say the word .... you dont know them well enough.

If you have some black friends you have grown up with your whole life (like they are practically your family)? You probably will know when it is appropriate to use the term... White people who hang around black people dont usually have a problem knowing when to say the word (if at all).. Ive heard them do it, and nobody got mad or upset.. It was the same as if a black person had just said it..

I'm not asking for a relative personal experience. I'm asking if you've ever considered what it's like to be the white guy amongst a group of mostly minorities. And, if that would change anything about usage of the word in those particular environments.
    Ive never been a white guy.. but I have been a black guy around alot of white people... Some call each other Pollocks.. Some call each other Wop or Dago... For me, there are certain words that I dont say, it doesnt matter who Im around.. Yes, I know what it is like to the minority in a group where people use "charged" language..

In general people talk the way they talk, and they arent going to suddenly change the way they speak to each just to accommodate one person. If you are the lone white guy? you have figure a way to fit in For me being the only black guy is certain situations, I just dont use certain terms. It doesnt matter what they say, I dont say it.. That way, I dont have any problems with people misunderstanding my intent..

That's felony assault. How is that a good hypothetical?
    Doesnt matter if its a crime or not...

I'm simply drawing out the idea that some people feel excluded if they cant do the same things everybody else does..

In your example, the brother shouldn't have showed his friend it was acceptable by calling his sister a fatty in front of his friend.
    If a guy hits his wife, is he showing you that it is acceptable to hit his wife also?

There is a role that each person plays in every group they interact with.. sometimes it is wise to know your role and just stick to that... Roles can change over time, but each person should be aware of what is and what isnt acceptable in any relationship they engage in

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man

And only total cvnts get offended when you call them a bitch. You don't want to be on good terms with them anyhow.
    So any person who gets mad if you call them a b*tch is actually a c*nt?

Doesnt matter if its a crime or not...

I'm simply drawing out the idea that some people feel excluded if they cant do the same things everybody else does..

If a guy hits his wife, is he showing you that it is acceptable to hit his wife also?

There is a role that each person plays in every group they interact with.. sometimes it is wise to know your role and just stick to that... Roles can change over time, but each person should be aware of what is and what isnt acceptable in any relationship they engage in
    Only have time to respond to this part right now.

It absolutely matters whether the action is a crime or not. A guy hitting his wife is doing so with bad intentions. That is clear.

A white guy sprinkling ni[COLOR="Black"]g[/COLOR]ga into a conversation with friends can be doing so with good intentions. There's no real good analogy to draw here.

It absolutely matters whether the action is a crime or not. A guy hitting his wife is doing so with bad intentions. That is clear.

A white guy sprinkling ni[COLOR="Black"]g[/COLOR]ga into a conversation with friends can be doing so with good intentions. There's no real good analogy to draw here.
    OK... Since that one is too heavy for you, lets lighten it up

Like I said earlier... If your father calls your mother by her first name, do you get to do it too? Is he showing you that it is acceptable?

How if he calls her "baby" in your presence... Does that mean you can call her that too?

say what you want, but be aware enough to understand if it is appropriate or not..

If you offend people? they arent going to excuse you because you had "good intentions" you just need to be socially aware

say what you want, but be aware enough to understand if it is appropriate or not..

If you offend people? they arent going to excuse you because you had "good intentions" you just need to be socially aware
    so true. non blacks who say ***** to friends is like a bus pass. but white folks want dat passport

A white guy sprinkling ni[COLOR="Black"]g[/COLOR]ga into a conversation with friends can be doing so with good intentions.
    There's an old saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

And what possible "good intentions" could result in feeling the necessity to use that word? I don't care who you're hanging around with. Nobody will ever notice if you delete that word from your vocabulary. Nobody.

I was the only freshman and the only white guy on a college basketball team. Had some enemies, made some friends. There were times that those guys said things amongst themselves that I might not hear among my other friends. At no time did that make me feel compelled to emulate them in order to gain acceptance.

By the same token, some of those guys would have felt uncomfortable around my non-basketball friends. That's on the individual. Either you're secure in who you are and have standards that aren't impacted by present company, or you're the type of person that craves acceptance so badly that you'll say anything to anyone as long as it gets a favorable reply.

Very good NBA starter

It seems like you really want to be able to say the n word.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    It seems like you really want to be able to say the n word.

Hammer, meet nail. People are going to an awful lot of lengths to justify their right to say one word. Must be a really important word to them.