NBA rookie of the year

Default Kelly Oubre Jr - 30 pts (9-14 FG, 5-7 3FG, 7-8 FT), 4 rebs, 3 asts

Last edited by JohnMax; 07-18-2015 at 01:50 AM.

Banned

Default Re: Kelly Oubre Jr - 30 pts (9-14 FG, 5-7 3FG, 7-8 FT), 4 rebs, 3 asts

This guy was so passive at Kansas. Passive to the point where people completely knocked him out the lottery, passive to the point where some analysts had him going in the 20s.

Glad to see him actually grow some balls and actually play basketball.

the WHITE side

OKC didn't take this guy

they chose Cameron Payne. So remember the name.

Decent college freshman

I'm still surprised that the Hawks rather would have Tim Hardaway Jr. than this guy basically.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    Kid is cooking with the sauce. Wiz got a nice prospect with a shot like that. Wonder why Hawks didn't keep him.

Serious playground baller

I posted basically the same observations on him a few days ago.

He's been passive in collegue, but sure don't seem passive in these games.

I thought James Young was going to be similar to this cat last year.

I like this kid. Sweet-looking stroke, but he had some weak drives that were rewarded with FTs. Won't get those calls in the league.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    I'm still surprised that the Hawks rather would have Tim Hardaway Jr. than this guy basically.
    Did you not read my passive post? Literally no scout believed he would make an impact this coming season, he was likely a D-Leaguer to start his career.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Shoot over double-teams when your teammates are open is only fun when you make the shot.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I posted about Oubre in a draft thread way before the draft.

I was pointing out that this is now three years in a row where Self and Kansas have had a super high end athletic wing with skills that seemed dead in the college game. Oubre, Wiggins, and Ben McLemore. All three guys were super highly regarded prospects, and all three guys were considered disappointments to varying degrees at Kansas, and all three guys wound up in draft debates with other players that were maybe were just allowed to do more (Winslow and Stanley Johnson, Jabari, and Victor Olidipo).

Both McLemore and Wiggins have broken through (I know including Wiggins isn't quite the same as he did go number one, but given the expectations coming in, I think it's fair). Will Oubre?

Is Self running more complex stuff stuff than these guys can digest in single seasons? As opposed to Kentucky's drive and kick and trap everything schemes that just let guys go. Do these guys benefit down the road from a crash course in basketball for one year at Kansas in a way that maybe being spoon fed doesn't do?

And to be fair, Oubre hasn't been great in the summer leagues in spite of this game. Johnson has looked like a stud. And I was high on Winslow but came down some after his measurements came up a little stumpy. I still question Johnson's ability to fit until there a structural tuning up of his jumper. And I'd still take Winslow over both of them, although they're all closer in my mind than they were before the combine, and probably closer than most people think. Like I'm not killing the Pistons for taking Jonson over Winslow, even though I would have, they're all a close call. And I honestly like Oubre's combination of rangier athleticism, length, and more natural stroke, than the other two guys. But I do feel like the game needs to be slowed down for him. And I feel like he will fit well in something like a Trevor Ariza role. If his handle and awareness of the game really improve, he can be much better. But I think he's got a higher floor than the other guys, because I think he fits better with the ball not in his hands.

Banned

I had a long post comparing Kelly Oubre to NBA Players and decided to delete it all.

I went from comparing his floor to Nick Young and his ceiling as being unpredictable. I said he could have a career as a role player like Swaggy P, being a respectable starter like Rudy Gay, or surprising people by showing signs of being the next Tracy McGrady.

It was best that I just deleted everything... I may be going insane.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by RightTwoCensor
    I had a long post comparing Kelly Oubre to NBA Players and decided to delete it all.

I went from comparing his floor to Nick Young and his ceiling as being unpredictable. I said he could have a career as a role player like Swaggy P, being a respectable starter like Rudy Gay, or surprising people by showing signs of being the next Tracy McGrady.

It was best that I just deleted everything... I may be going insane.
    He could easily end up being Nick Young or JR Smith, but he could be really flippin good with his physical gifts. I just said I'm surprised they'd take at most 2 years left of Hardaway Jr. on a rookie deal in exchange for a mid-first round pick, whom they could have for 4 years total, 3 of which where the cap will be between above $90M. That could be a very cost-effective player.

THJ wasn't worth that high of a pick imo. However, I don't value THJ that much.

Glad to see him finally make some shots. He had been shooting blanks every game until the last one.

I like what i see from him defensively. Active on the boards too. Offensively he has decent handles with both hands but can't shoot with his right. He has a quick, high release on his jumper but it remains to be seen if he can be consistent with it.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I posted about Oubre in a draft thread way before the draft.

I was pointing out that this is now three years in a row where Self and Kansas have had a super high end athletic wing with skills that seemed dead in the college game. Oubre, Wiggins, and Ben McLemore. All three guys were super highly regarded prospects, and all three guys were considered disappointments to varying degrees at Kansas, and all three guys wound up in draft debates with other players that were maybe were just allowed to do more (Winslow and Stanley Johnson, Jabari, and Victor Olidipo).

Both McLemore and Wiggins have broken through (I know including Wiggins isn't quite the same as he did go number one, but given the expectations coming in, I think it's fair). Will Oubre?

Is Self running more complex stuff stuff than these guys can digest in single seasons? As opposed to Kentucky's drive and kick and trap everything schemes that just let guys go. Do these guys benefit down the road from a crash course in basketball for one year at Kansas in a way that maybe being spoon fed doesn't do?

And to be fair, Oubre hasn't been great in the summer leagues in spite of this game. Johnson has looked like a stud. And I was high on Winslow but came down some after his measurements came up a little stumpy. I still question Johnson's ability to fit until there a structural tuning up of his jumper. And I'd still take Winslow over both of them, although they're all closer in my mind than they were before the combine, and probably closer than most people think. Like I'm not killing the Pistons for taking Jonson over Winslow, even though I would have, they're all a close call. And I honestly like Oubre's combination of rangier athleticism, length, and more natural stroke, than the other two guys. But I do feel like the game needs to be slowed down for him. And I feel like he will fit well in something like a Trevor Ariza role. If his handle and awareness of the game really improve, he can be much better. But I think he's got a higher floor than the other guys, because I think he fits better with the ball not in his hands.
    Spot on about Bill Self. It seems like he hasn't been able to fully utilize the talent he's been recruiting. Thomas Robinson was a lotto pick and has bounced around the league like he was Drew Gooden.

I think Bill's high/low motion offense is just not suited for guys of this talent level. The dribble drive is way more suited for wing players of this athleticism and talent. They came from a world where they always had the ball in their hands and now they're being taught to move off ball. In addition the wing players don't get the spacing they need cause Kansas tends to always have sizable bigs that just camp in the paint.

I'm surprised more people haven't pointed this out about Bill. That miracle three from Mario Chalmers is probably the only reason he still has a job.