Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default The Legendary Sabonis

Look at this amazing recovery!
    In 02-03 Sabonis averaged 6.4 ppg and 4.3 RPG in 15 MPG. He seemingly couldn't run up and down the court but that's still decent for an old grandpa. Shaq and Steve Francis used to use him for poster practice though.

BUT THEN in 03-04 he suddenly recovers and wins an MVP award of an entire continent.

What could have brought about this remarkable recovery?

Default Re: The Legendary Sabonis

Dude that year he use to be good (like veteran good) but too slow for NBA because of injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    In 02-03 Sabonis averaged 6.4 ppg and 4.3 RPG in 15 MPG. He seemingly couldn't run up and down the court but that's still decent for an old grandpa. Shaq and Steve Francis used to use him for poster practice though.

BUT THEN in 03-04 he suddenly recovers and wins an MVP award of an entire continent.

Sabonis at his best was an absolute BEAST! There has never been a big man like him at any point in NBA. U gotta realize u was 7'3 or 7'4 and was way more athletic before injuries got him. He could bust your ass from three, but still maintained the threat of a dominant big man in the paint. He also had way more handle than any 7'3 guys should ever have. I'm convinced that if Sabonis was a 6'7 SF he would have still made for a great NBA player. Too bad the injuries got to him before he hit the L.

Banned

I remember that 1st rd series vs dallas, he could barely move. If he were in his prime he would have assraped Shaq

It's going to backfire to op and it already started, u gotta be quite dumb to do not expect this.

this reminded me a of a great sabonis article i read from grantland last year:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...g-strange-trip

"He could do everything. He had the skills of Larry Bird and Pete Maravich. He had the athleticism of Kareem, and he could shoot the 3-point shot. He could pass and run the floor, dribble. We should have carried out a plan in the early 1980s to kidnap him and bring him back right then."
    - bill walton

Sabonis joined Real Madrid in 1992 and won two Spanish League titles. George Karl spent two stints coaching the club from 1989 to 1992. His main regret from that period of time is that he left Spain before having the opportunity to coach Sabonis.

"When I came back, I was asked if I could do it all over and try again to bring a championship to Madrid, who would I try to get on my team?" Karl said. "Sabonis was my answer. The best player in Europe was Sabonis. The most difficult player to play against was Sabonis. I had actually told all the NBA scouts who had come over to Europe to see Toni Kukoc and Sabonis at that time the same thing. I told them Kukoc is good. He's an NBA player, but the best guy if you want to win is Sabonis."

Whitsitt asked Portland's team physician, Dr. Robert Cook, to take a look at Sabonis' X-rays before he arrived. Cook asked Whitsitt if he was sure his new player could play. "He said that Arvydas could qualify for a handicapped parking spot based on the X-ray alone," Whitsitt said.

"Many times I would say, 'Arvydas, how does your foot feel?' And he would say, 'It's the same. It hurts. It's always the same,'" Jensen said. "What changed from day to day was how much it hurt. It always bothered him. It was just every day, it may be a little bit different. You would look at his X-rays and you would say, 'How in the world is he running up and down the floor?'"

I think Sabonis would have been a top 5, if not the best center ever had he started his career in the NBA. Guy was a beast.
    Too big, too strong, too skilled. He had everything.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

One of my favorites. He was a real pleasure to watch play.

It's nothing really much to think about, think of Sabonis you've seen in the NBA and add good athleticisim and speed to him. Scary.

NBA Superstar

For the selection of people here who were actually able to watch Sabonis play in his prime, I respect your opinions and memories. For everyone else though, how are you guys gathering your information on his true skills? Is it just based upon what other people have said about him (such as Bill Walton, a guy never big on hyperbole)?

I don't mean this as a criticism of Sabonis. It's just, after years of his name being brought up in discussions, and the inevitable posts in response claiming he may have ended up as the best big man of all-time, I'm always left searching in vain for what the rest of us non-European posters under age 37 have apparently missed. I see short mixtapes where he makes good plays (and dunks on David Robinson) but that is about it. I watched Sabonis come stateside and put in work while hardly being able to move, but that still doesn't necessarily lead me to believe he would have been the best big man of all-time.

Finally (and perhaps most importantly), has anyone seen a series of moves more awkward and off-the-wall than Sabonis' argument with a referee in the video posted earlier? It seems like it'd be a fun gif: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik#t=0m46s. He's like a malfunctioning robot. In a span of five seconds he goes from "WHAT!?" to "Whoa! No offense, sir" to pop-and-lock to CPU override. I've never seen anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Finally (and perhaps most importantly), has anyone seen a series of moves more awkward and off-the-wall than Sabonis' argument with a referee in the video posted earlier? It seems like it'd be a fun gif: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik#t=0m46s. He's like a malfunctioning robot. In a span of five seconds he goes from "WHAT!?" to "Whoa! No offense, sir" to pop-and-lock to CPU override. I've never seen anything like it.
    Yeah it's very funny, someone please make this a GIF.

As I have watched Sabonis in his prime, I can confirm what many NBA stars and coaches said - if he played all his career in NBA, he would have been among the best to ever play this game, along with Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Shaq, etc.

Banned

McGee woulda dropped 50 on this fool.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young

Kobetards are really an embarrassment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tnToDLHV4