Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Which unique NBA players whose playing style we might never get to see again?

1) Dennis Rodman

Not only is this guy one of the best defenders and rebounders of all-time, even being undersized at his position. He is also one of the most loud mouth personalities the NBA has ever seen. Sporting a body full of tattoos and piercings and an ever-changing hair colour, his appearance screams total rebel. Watching his highlights, one might think they are watching NFL or a wrestling match. Exciting on and off the court. I can't imagine another player like him whether in the present or future.

2) Magic Johnson

Magic is the BEST passer in NBA history. "Magic" is the most appropriate nickname whose flashy passes often leave defenders astounded. But what seperates him from other point guards is his height. Standing at 6'9 tall, he overlooks practically every point guard and is able to see the court better. When will the NBA ever have a player his height and court vision? The closest copy is Lebron James, but he's not quite the same as "Magic" Earvin Johnson.

3) Muggsy Bogues

Standing at only 5'3 tall. Muggsy is the shortest NBA player to ever play the game. However as much as he is lacking in height, he makes up any deficiencies with his intensity, desire and also his passing skills. Besides being a complete floor general, this little guy is known to be a pesky defender. Would we be able to see another 5'3 player play in the league again? ( I highly doubt so ). Earl Boykins and Spud Webb are the closest comparisons, though both aren't quite the passer as Muggsy was.

Default Re: Which unique NBA players whose playing style we might never get to see again?

The Pistol

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Which unique NBA players whose playing style we might never get to see again?

The obvious proper answer besides Earvin Johnson be none other than Charles Barkley

Decent college freshman gotbacon23's Avatar

nobody plays like he does in the post.

[COLOR=Teal]Shaq....A.I....
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by lilyi

The Pistol

I always hear analyst comparing Rubio to Pistol Pete.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dbugz
    I always hear analyst comparing Rubio to Pistol Pete.
    Rubio will never be the scorer Pistol Pete was, but I can see the comparisons in how they command the game.

Pistol Pete is a scorer and rubio is a passer, nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by lilyi

The Pistol
    love those phoenix jerseys. also check out the shoes back then.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by sbw19
    [COLOR=Teal]Shaq....A.I....
    [/COLOR]
    I think Monta Ellis is a good comparison for A.I. Though hes much taller and his ppg obviously isn't as high as A.I.

For Shaq, maybe Bynum. But still we know Bynum is no Shaq. lol.

NBA Finals

I know he's not retired yet ..but I don't think we'll see another style like Marion's

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    I think Monta Ellis is a good comparison for A.I. Though hes much taller and his ppg obviously isn't as high as A.I.

For Shaq, maybe Bynum. But still we know Bynum is no Shaq. lol.
    Other than the fact that Bynum's a 7-footer that plays for NBA, i see very little comparison between the two. Even though Shaq had great footowork in the post, his game was heavily predicated on RAW power that I just don't see nearly as often out of Bynum.

Not airballing my layups anymore globarticles's Avatar

kareem brah. his skyhook was so great why hasnt anyone copy it yet???

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RocketGreatness
    Bill Russell, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, as well as the players above listed and don't give me that Kobe plays like Jordan crap because he doesn't. Maybe in terms of style, but Jordan was on another planet in terms of efficiency.

There's a reason why all 4 of those guys are Top 5 players to ever play the game and it's because of their rare and unique style of play that puts them above the rest.
    My understanding was that we should pick unique players.. not players that were better than everyone else at everything, though the OP does lend some credibility to your statement by putting Magic up there.

But I think Barkley is it... a 6'4 PF that can run, handle, shoot, but most of all HIT THE GLASS.

Marion is a good answer, IMO, as is LeBron. He is like Magic with his all-around game, being too big to be a guard, but he plays like one anyway, yet he is like Jordan with his scoring prowess, and becoming the defender. Not saying he's on the level of either of those two, but he combines certain elements like none other. Another one could be Vlade... his passing and craftiness from the C position was insane.