Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Could ISH Posters Be Good GM's?

An interesting idea i sa when reading a post stating some like no ISH poster would sign Bargnani and MWP on a team trying to contend. It does make sense. Many GM's make moves that are absolutely laughable that I couldn't see a lot of people who regularly watch basketball making.

So could ISH posters be good GM's?

Banned

Default Re: Could ISH Posters Be Good GM's?

hahahaha

That's like asking if youtube film "critics" would make good directors.

Not even close.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Some would.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    hahahaha

That's like asking if youtube film "critics" would make good directors.
    Do you really think that most people would be Knicks level GM's? Considering you have the proper training in terms of all the technical things a GM has to do, you don't think the basketball knowledge of some posters would make them decent?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    So could ISH posters be good GM's?

Banned

Theoo would be one of the best in the league.

Not sure. People here wouldn't have the gravitas to command respect from other GMs, so they would get a raw deal in trading (putting them in a position to either be fleeced or not have many available trading partners). Probably would have the same issue if trying to tell a coach which rotations to use, who to play more/less, etc. Also, tanking is (correctly) viewed as the best way to rebuild here, but owners/fanbases might not agree (especially if a star/fan favorite is traded).

Some people here know what's up, but these things tend to work out better in theory than in practice for the most part. Sure, there are bad execs, but the vast majority of GMs aren't morons. Some of the proprietary data/scouts/reports they are privy to that we are not might steer them in what we consider to be questionable directions.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Obviously hawkfan and that Knicks fan who badly wanted and then got Bargs. Those are two of the brilliant basketball and business minds on ISH, and probably the entire internets.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Not sure. People here wouldn't have the gravitas to command respect from other GMs, so they would get a raw deal in trading (putting them in a position to either be fleeced or not have many available trading partners). Probably would have the same issue if trying to tell a coach which rotations to use, who to play more/less, etc. Also, tanking is (correctly) viewed as the best way to rebuild here, but owners/fanbases might not agree (especially if a star/fan favorite is traded).
    This would the be the main issue imo.#

I don't know how well I'd deal with being mediocre either. I feel like I'd probably be a bit quick on the trigger.

I rule the local playground

Yes. We are the people and we can give the people what they want.

Having an opinion on what to do and actually doing it are completely different things. Management requires more than the right vision/plan/knowledge, you need a wide variety of skills such as negotiation, persuasion, the ability to tune out certain voices in your organization, and the courage to stand up for your decisions. Those aren't regular jobs, which is why they don't pay regular money.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

We are talking about people who have spent decades of their lives focusing primarily on high-level basketball. They aren't immune to making bad decisions, but to answer OP, no. ISH posters would most likely not be good GMs. Also depending on the team some GM's are hamstrung by their owners, and they don't necessarily make the moves that they wanna make.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Theoo would be one of the best in the league.
    theo: Since Mitch Kupceczk won't trade my best pleyers for dis Kobe kid I make Mitch is the worsted GM in unidverst cartoon for werld to chuckled at

Banned

No way, GM's do so much more than just make trades. NBA teams are a business worth millions of dollars. A lot of bad trades are probably also influenced by owners and players as well.