Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default Do Europeans appreciate basketball differently than Americans?

Just from a recent thread about the under 19 FIBA World Championships dominated by the US to win the Gold, I read a Euro(not Euroleague) commenting that the US played "ugly ball" while congratulating the US.. If I remember correctly, he said that he couldn't stand to watch the US.

From my point of view, the US played beautifully, not just because I'm American, but because the US played great pressure defense. The only game I saw was the Gold Medal game which was close for 2.5 quarters, and then the US suffocated the Serbian attack almost completely. Which begs the question, how can winning basketball be labeled as "ugly ball"?

Do euros place too much emphasis on shooting, offensive execution, playing within the team but sacrifice individual creativity? Do euros place enough emphasis on athleticism, especially on defense? Does the full blown international zone discourage players from learning to play real mano y mano defense when required?

We see some of the things I mentioned in the NBA from internationals. We see a Euro PG or even big man drive to the hole, and even if he's wide open for a layup, instinctively pass it out to a 3 point shooter. It drives me nuts. "Throw it down", Bill Walton would say. We see internationals make one pass too many, too many times. We see Euro newbies struggle to play man defense on too many occasions that some American coaches seem to have developed a bias at times against putting Euros or internationals in a clutch defensive situation. There are exceptions of course(Rubio is one).

It's very clear. The US has dominated with it's style of athletic offense and defense, not just in the NBA, but more importantly in FIBA play. After 2004, the US has lost once(1). Once. Some games have been close, but you get the feeling if some of the close games were extended into a 7 game series, it would be a shut out, 4-0. That kind of dominance.

So Euros and other internationals really have to start developing players and appreciating aspects that they usually don't appreciate. If they don't, then the US will dominate the next 20 years again. Fine by me, but not good for the game of basketball.

Default Re: Do Europeans appreciate basketball differently than Americans?

It's our game. Always will be.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    It's our game. Always will be.
    Just because something originates somewhere, doesn't mean that the original will always be the best version. That said, I enjoy watching American basketball far more than European, and I'm from Amsterdam.

Both sides have something to learn from each other.

Americans would be even better if they played better offense, focusing more on spacing, sharing the ball, off the ball screens, etc. Many European teams need to play like that, but when Americans decide to play like that, they're unstoppable.

Banned

Euro basketball is much more prettier in my opinion due team play. They move the ball better.

American basketball, which I love, emphasize more on pressure and getting the job done regardless how it looks. We are more athletic and I think running a true fast break without the ball even hitting the floor is a thing of beauty while others may not.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Euro basketball is much more prettier in my opinion due team play. They move the ball better.

American basketball, which I love, emphasize more on pressure and getting the job done regardless how it looks. We are more athletic and I think running a true fast break without the ball even hitting the floor is a thing of beauty while others may not.
    That's the good part about it, but when it comes to posession play u often see stuff like player with the ball tries to climb up against 3 defenders and not even thinking about passing and throws up a brick or turnover, in europe u most likely getting benched right after no matter who you are. Also some international teams are really good at fast breaks too, it might not get flashy dunks as often as americans, but for example lithuania is known for transition threes and good execution of fast breaks overall, spain is really great at it too and even in half court play spain doesn't like to hold on a ball for long, they try to make a shot in first half of shot clock to maintain fast tempo of the game, meanwhile ithuania for example if it's half court they will try to move ball as much as possible for best shot possible, it has downside though which is way more turnovers. Greece is the furthest away from american play on offense, but it ain't pretty game at all, it's slow mid court based play,but it fits well with their good defense though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth
    That's the good part about it, but when it comes to posession play u often see stuff like player with the ball tries to climb up against 3 defenders and not even thinking about passing and throws up a brick or turnover, in europe u most likely getting benched right after no matter who you are. Also some international teams are really good at fast breaks too, it might not get flashy dunks as often as americans, but for example lithuania is known for transition threes and good execution of fast breaks overall, spain is really great at it too and even in half court play spain doesn't like to hold on a ball for long, they try to make a shot in first half of shot clock to maintain fast tempo of the game, meanwhile ithuania for example if it's half court they will try to move ball as much as possible for best shot possible, it has downside though which is way more turnovers. Greece is the furthest away from american play on offense, but it ain't pretty game at all, it's slow mid court based play,but it fits well with their good defense though.
    I have been watching 25 years of the NBA and I apologize for the Americans on here. I have watched more years than their age.

I agree with you, Lithuania is very good at basketball and so is Spain. Fast pace doesn't mean moving the ball quickly or running the fast break. I like how they play in regards to the shot clock. They try to score as quickly as possible because it baits their opponents in doing the same, which may not benefit the opponent.

I dont watch European bball at all. Make what you want out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturn
    Just because something originates somewhere, doesn't mean that the original will always be the best version. That said, I enjoy watching American basketball far more than European, and I'm from Amsterdam.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    I dont watch European bball at all. Make what you want out of it.
    Well fans of eu countries where basketball is not popular often follows nba over euroleague and european basketball in general, because they don't really have much to root for when it comes to their own teams so might just watch highest lvl of play which is at nba, because if let's say you are from one of those countries where basketball is not popular at all if u choose to root for local team which at best get smashed at eurocup, not much fun really. Fans of countries where they have euroelague teams and basketball is popular can enjoy being a fan of their local team much more, they get to watch home games of nearly nba lvl of play.

that comes from growing up watching soccer.

in soccer, you can't hog the ball no matter how good your dribbling skills are. you'll get swarmed no matter what. the beauty in watching soccer comes from watching teamwork.

so ofc to them, ugly basketball is when the ball doesn't move.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    that comes from growing up watching soccer.

in soccer, you can't hog the ball no matter how good your dribbling skills are. you'll get swarmed no matter what. the beauty in watching soccer comes from watching teamwork.

so ofc to them, ugly basketball is when the ball doesn't move.
    That's one of the worst posts I've seen.

Euros shoot too many 3's. A lot of screen-and-rolling, pick-and-popping. Basically, they play like the old white guy at the gym.

America > The rest of the world.

considering u19 world champs, americans were struggling until 4th quarter. when europeans come close to usa in terms of atheticism we will see close games, and end of usa domination. until then this is usa's game.
    Last edited by duskovujosevic; 07-11-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duskovujosevic
    considering u19 world champs, americans were struggling until 4th quarter. when europeans come close to usa in terms of atheticism we will see close games, and end of usa domination. until then this is usa game.

For Euro teams this is always when it ends up coming to.