Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Occupy Wall Street

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard
    Well who said they don't hire illegals in America for pennies? Why do you think prisons are so overcrowded? Its all about cheap labor. Its all made possible because we invade countries and monopolize their resources (including our own in the 1800s or so) so people can no longer feed themselves. So they rely on American exports for food, which is why you hear all this crap about how America feeds all these 3rd world countries. No one really thinks about why these countries are starving in the first place.
    Why is it suddenly about wages? Why is it that in the past, companies paid Americans great wages, and still made profits? What, suddenly they just realized they can get cheap labor overseas?

You're missing the point. Companies would loveee to pay Americans good wages. Because if they were, that means they're earning huge profits as well.

The problem is, they're not earning huge profits. Companies are finding it harder and harder to make profits in America.

Why is that? It's the regulations. It's the taxation.

It's gotten so bad, it's actually more cost-effective for them to open buildings in foreign places, pay extra rent, extra utilities, and the wage of a foreign worker.. instead of just hiring in America.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Shouldn't they be protesting at the White House..the government is the big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Why is it suddenly about wages? Why is it that in the past, companies paid Americans great wages, and still made profits? What, suddenly they just realized they can get cheap labor overseas?

You're missing the point. Companies would loveee to pay Americans good wages. Because if they were, that means they're earning huge profits as well.

The problem is, they're not earning huge profits. Companies are finding it harder and harder to make profits in America.

Why is that? It's the regulations. It's the taxation.

It's gotten so bad, it's actually more cost-effective for them to open buildings in foreign places, pay extra rent, extra utilities, and the wage of a foreign worker.. instead of just hiring in America.
    Elaborate please.

National High School Star

Celebs don't count. Immortal Technique also rolled through, you think he's an Obama supporter?
    Again, I am going by what I am reading. For the most part, when these people are interviewed, they are parroting the exact same stance and rhetoric that Obama goes by (tax the rich etc.). And the fact that they are at wall street and not at the white house says something. I am looking at some of the big unions there, and they all have stances that back Obama. Of course not 100% of the people are, but from what I read it is strongly pointing in that direction.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...NOMY/310029971
    Last edited by falc39; 10-03-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Elaborate please.
    Our companies are regulated out of the ass. One of the biggest problems is, we give too much power to employees.

If an employee thinks he's been discriminated against... he can sue.
    If he thinks he's been sexually harassed... he can sue.
    If he thinks he's been underpaid... he can sue.

This makes employers very hesitant to hire in America, because they don't want to open themselves up to lawsuits. In many cases, employers look for ways NOT to hire people, because hiring someone could result in a costly lawsuit.

And remember, it doesn't even matter if the employee loses the claim. Just going to court is so costly for a company, it makes hiring a very scary proposition.

Of course there are other regulations that vary from industry to industry.

The health care industry is extremely regulated. Hospitals are forced by government law to have up-to-date technology. If they think it's more cost effective to keep an older machine, instead of buying a pricey new one... tough shit.

Just an example:
    Health Information Technology Standards

How often have you sat in a doctor's office, writing your health information on yet another set of paper forms? Waited for lab results to be sent to your doctor? Hand-carried X-rays from one office to another?

Electronic health records (EHRs) save everyone time and money. They reduce the chance of medical error. And when information can be securely shared, electronically, it impacts every step in the health care process.
    http://www.hhs.gov/policies/index.html

Even gas stations don't escape the regulations.

Charlie Thomas is worried that he may be forced to shut down his Satellite Beach, Fla., gas station in part because a state law requires all stations to install tanks to pump gas with at least 10% ethanol by year's end.

A combination of environmental rules, mandatory equipment replacement, the down economy, increased competition from big-box stores and rising credit-card fees is putting the squeeze on independent gas station owners such as Thomas. "I don't know what the future is going to bring me," says Thomas, who has owned and operated his gas station and repair shop for 20 years.
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ulations_N.htm

For many stock brokers, you can only advise your clients to buy government approved stocks. If you think one stock is better than another, but it's not government approved, you're not even allowed to mention it to your client.

Pretty much, think of an industry.. then go to google and type in "That Industry + Regulations." You're bound to find something.

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    Again, I am going by what I am reading. For the most part, when these people are interviewed, they are parroting the exact same stance and rhetoric that Obama goes by (tax the rich etc.). And the fact that they are at wall street and not at the white house says something. I am looking at some of the big unions there, and they all have stances that back Obama. Of course not 100% are, but from what I read it is strongly pointing in that direction.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...NOMY/310029971
    That may be true man, but Obama's words pretty much always contradict his actions. I agree that taxing the rich will bring money back into the economy. Did you know that Eisenhower had the wealthiest people paying 91% taxes? I think people had jobs back then, I may be wrong.

I see what you're saying now Joe, that makes sense. But that also goes both ways, since corporations can buy out small businesses, its very difficult for them to thrive. If they refuse to sell out its an easy law suit for them to win to gain their profits. And small businesses tend to not be as regulated as well. It goes a lot deeper than regulations, but that is a big part of it I agree with that.

I see what you're saying now Joe, that makes sense. But that also goes both ways, since corporations can buy out small businesses, its very difficult for them to thrive. If they refuse to sell out its an easy law suit for them to win to gain their profits. And small businesses tend to not be as regulated as well. It goes a lot deeper than regulations, but that is a big part of it I agree with that.
    Its always good to talk to an open minded person.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Its always good to talk to an open minded person.
    Appreciate the info

V|iLL|ainy ◊ iLL

Quote Originally Posted by vinsane01
    Thousands or Hundreds are apparently protesting in front of wall street since 17th of September in hopes of raising consciousness of the general public and turn their attention to these corporate giants as being responsible for the big wealth inequality and high unemployment rate in the US.

I thought this was going to be a big but the media seems to be downplaying the events transpiring in NYC. Are protests like these regular and not news worthy? Do they think that covering the protests might entice more people to join the so called revolution? Or are there simply not enough people for it to be news worthy? What do ISH folks think about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfVNNnQu6E
    Yep... the media giants ignoring it is disgusting ... to say the least.

Someone at the top pulling strings... errrrrr yeperrrs seems so. Otherwise, why would it not be all over the screen?

You seeing news outlets having the most doo doo boring yaw yawn stories yet on some RL ish like what's going down in Wall Street oh no, can't play that reeeeelz oh no ... can't let the mass public see what is really going down.

Well, praise God for these here interwebs... for now... oh that's right, sooner or later this will be taken away or censored too...

All of our rights are being stripped left and right... all in the name of 'security' and fighting 'terrorism' ...

Yeah OK...

Oh, and when shit hits the fan here very soon... DO NOT... I REPEAT DO NOT... accept the mark of the you know what.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhh

it's super top secret stuff. just be quiet.... like that one fu*k from CMR said, can't think of dude's name??? he was hot there for a min dough... oh well, doesn't matter.

just shhhhhhhhhhhhh, be quiet.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Villain
    Part of what you say is true... but dude... you cant deny the 'system' is fu*ked up. Yes, it is. Let's not even debate.
    Yeah, I can't deny that but some people are just morons out there.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    lol, that black chick was horrific

"the uhh, government is fully privatized... it's really a global issue"

ouch

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    lol, that black chick was horrific

"the uhh, government is fully privatized... it's really a global issue"

ouch
    Wow I just watched that, those people are morons. "Uhh make the system accommodate us, but **** who they run over in the process." And that article said this was at Wall Street when clearly the video was shot at the 'occupy DC' rally. Yet another example of infowars spinning shit out of context. At least provide the correct location assholes. I still support the Wall Street movement, because it exposes how our civil liberties have been taken away and the police brutality that comes along with it. When this comes to Philly I plan on attending to gain a better perspective of the kind of people that are there.

Adam Kokesh is the man, dude fought in Iraq and is extremely informed on what is going on. I can listen to him interview those brain dead college kids all day.
    Last edited by Hazard; 10-03-2011 at 10:16 PM.

V|iLL|ainy ◊ iLL

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic R
    tell tail sign...

Dont be shocked to see a 'volunteer' police force in the coming days.