Default Emulation and MAME games

this is kind of oldschool arcade stuff. not exactly the usual videogames talk, so i'm posting this here.

so...... i've been updating my arcade game collection recently. the emulator MAME now has a ton of new features, new systems and new games supported. it can run just about any console in history now. MAME is free and runs on PC, apple, linux, android and other platforms.

the # of arcade ROMs is up to about 33,000 now. the # of total games is probably about double that when you add in the consoles. basically, just about any game ever made for any system, home or commercial, going back over 40 years, can be played on whatever platform you have.

some sample screenshots of various arcade games:

anyway, MAME can be kind of tricky to set up for some people. as long as i'm working on it right now, i can try to help anyone who wants to install it or upgrade to the latest version. peace.
    Last edited by gigantes; 06-13-2016 at 07:31 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Emulation and MAME games

I went through a little emulator phase when I first got my big Samsung Tablet. I used John NES. I pretty much used it to re-play Zelda and Metroid. After that most of the games I remembered loving back in the day I played for novelty, but never had the staying power to get me to want to play all the way through.

5-time NBA All-Star

HARK! The arrival of another angel to settle the fundament and build up a digital wonderland and lay seeds for a generation of fingertipped appeal to learn from and to admire and to make love and joy, maybe shimmy some of this negativity ala 4chan further into the backchannels and part waters for reddit's ascendency like a 3rd century church. We hear your gospel Giant Tees and We share in your Wealth of impropriety.

   

J$

i remember these from the 90's - 2000's, but i was mainly playing pinball those days.

I ****ed w/ emulators hard for awhile; still got a bunch of games on a usb drive. I was ****in w/ emulators back when that shit was kinda new. Basically, it's really fun IF you have other people to play with. The netplay is generally garbo (but they used to have direct connection to computers.)

It'll never be like... people come over to you're house and you're like SHIT REMEMBER NES? LETS PLAY NES ON MY COMPUTER.

I was playing some shit w/ my cousin last year. Was funny, dude brought some midgrade weed (I don't usually smoke anymore, but it was my birthday), we smoked it. Reminded me of that old Illinois weed. Then we went to a dive bar and this slutty waitress chic (who was like 40) was like I GOT WEED and we smoked some actual bomb. I was ded cuz I hadn't smoked real weed in so long, was just like... I'm going to sit in my car. I drove home (gg me) then we played emulation. You feel really ****ing good... it's like check this out bro and run directly into the first goomba in Mario and die or ****ing just fall down a hole.

I'm convinced that the pads aren't as sensitive as they are on consoles... otherwise I fell off super hard. It's depressing tbh.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I ****ed w/ emulators hard for awhile; still got a bunch of games on a usb drive. I was ****in w/ emulators back when that shit was kinda new. Basically, it's really fun IF you have other people to play with. The netplay is generally garbo (but they used to have direct connection to computers.)

It'll never be like... people come over to you're house and you're like SHIT REMEMBER NES? LETS PLAY NES ON MY COMPUTER.

I was playing some shit w/ my cousin last year. Was funny, dude brought some midgrade weed (I don't usually smoke anymore, but it was my birthday), we smoked it. Reminded me of that old Illinois weed. Then we went to a dive bar and this slutty waitress chic (who was like 40) was like I GOT WEED and we smoked some actual bomb. I was ded cuz I hadn't smoked real weed in so long, was just like... I'm going to sit in my car. I drove home (gg me) then we played emulation. You feel really ****ing good... it's like check this out bro and run directly into the first goomba in Mario and die or ****ing just fall down a hole.

I'm convinced that the pads aren't as sensitive as they are on consoles... otherwise I fell off super hard. It's depressing tbh.

-Smak
    Are you high right now?

   

@ILLsmak,
    they make a networked version of MAME. it's called "kaillera" i think. i haven't played that for years, but i'm sure i could still kick your ass.

(that's just windows, before you start up MAME)

I remember we got deep into emulators in middle school. We'd play all those Japanese Dragonball games nobody played before and then went from there. I had a SNES when I was little but not that many games, so I played a lot of the classics through ZNES in those years.

Arcade games though, the physical aspect is too big of a part of the experience. Playing Sega Rally with the wheel and in the seat against your buddy is fun, but I can't imagine it's fun to play by yourself on your PC.