Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
    I usually hit open layups Spec5ial5k5's Avatar

Default Re: What's your vert?

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    I can dunk off an alley oop I did it a few times, but yea the problem I'm having is I don't know how to take off on a run with the ball. Does anyone know how to fix this.
    U need to work on palmin the ball i pretty sure im the same height as u and i have the wingspan my vert i think is around 29 or 30 and i can nip the rim 2 hand on the vert. I consider myself a two footed jumper but i can only dunk of one foot i think its easier dunkin with one hand off one foot so work on that and on palmin i cant find the video right now but the drills called squeezed the banana u lock ur elbows and squeeze the ball so hard it come out so the ball should be goin back and forth between ur hands

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    How tall are you?
    I would be impress to see a 5 foot 3 person on anyone with less than 6-10 standing reach dunk on 10 foot with a regulation basketball. Now that would require mad hops and I don't think Muggys Bogues could do that!

I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

i don't even want to know it.

embarrisingly low i'm sure. i'm decently athletic but i don't have any ups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Spec5ial5k5
    U need to work on palmin the ball i pretty sure im the same height as u and i have the wingspan my vert i think is around 29 or 30 and i can nip the rim 2 hand on the vert. I consider myself a two footed jumper but i can only dunk of one foot i think its easier dunkin with one hand off one foot so work on that and on palmin i cant find the video right now but the drills called squeezed the banana u lock ur elbows and squeeze the ball so hard it come out so the ball should be goin back and forth between ur hands

yea I need to see that. Also do you know how I can become more of a 1 footed jumper?
    Because I don't get anywhere off 1 foot I can barely touch rim with 1.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JG000
    i don't even want to know it.

embarrisingly low i'm sure. i'm decently athletic but i don't have any ups anymore
    If you have less than 2 ft of vertical than you don't have any hops.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    yea I need to see that. Also do you know how I can become more of a 1 footed jumper?
    Because I don't get anywhere off 1 foot I can barely touch rim with 1.
    Repitition. I fell into the hole of being strictly a two-foot dunker and the only way I was able to climb out was through constant attempts at taking off of one foot. I would suggest working on rising to the rim without a ball at first. I would practice sprinting at full speed then elevating off of one foot toward the rim. In certain circumstances, you have to re-train your body to understand how to take off of just one foot.

Obviously, work up toward taking a ball in the air with you. You do not need to be able to palm a basketball to dunk. Perhaps it'd make it easier, but it's definitely not necessary.

Also, someone created a thread in here just a few days ago linking to a youtube video providing key tips of how to raise one's vert off of both one and two feet. The most important key I picked up was being sure to stride toward the basket. A long stride leading into your take-off step will ensure you are lower to the ground when you begin to jump, thus allowing for maximum spring. If we find ourselves approaching the rim upright with a high dribble, that may be something to look at.

Edit: Here is a link to the thread on instant vertical help, created by NotYetGreat. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=143610
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-23-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Learning to shoot layups ghettoracer's Avatar

Up until 2004 my height was 177 cm or 5'10" when measured. Then I started doing some Hot Yoga and got a little more flexible. I was always more flexible man the average guys (like I can put my palm on the floor and head to my knee) but not flexible compare to girls. Anyway I seem to have slowly stretched my spine long longer. In my last couple of measurements I broke 180 cm now. 180.5 and 180.3 on (solid 5'11" now) my last two measurements recently. :-) And I'm about to turn 36.

At about 2001 or 2002 I was able to be about 5" above the rim (I was in late 20's then). So I figure that's about 30" running vertical. Just slightly above average I think. Last year I was lazy and getting chubby and bellied up to 190 lbs. I went from being 5" above the rim at my best to my worst early this year which is about a good 5-6" below the rim. The feeling was SO NASTY. I felt slow and un-cordinated. My basketball IQ is pretty good so it's sad when the body is out of shape and can't do what I used to able to do with ease.

I started to play ball almost everyday in Feb 2009. Combined that with getting back to Yoga in the last two months, I've slowly but surely got back in shape. Now I'm back down to 162 lbs and I've got my agility back (85-90% back I think). And now I can touch the rim (barely) again. Hopefully with more steady training I can gain it all back if not more. I think my running vert is about 25" right now. Decent for a soon to be 36 yo guy I guess. :-)

My dream/goal is to have 35-40" of vertical so I can dunk (at least once in my life hahaha)...

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Repitition. I fell into the hole of being strictly a two-foot dunker and the only way I was able to climb out was through constant attempts at taking off of one foot. I would suggest working on rising to the rim without a ball at first. I would practice sprinting at full speed then elevating off of one foot toward the rim. In certain circumstances, you have to re-train your body to understand how to take off of just one foot.

Obviously, work up toward taking a ball in the air with you. You do not need to be able to palm a basketball to dunk. Perhaps it'd make it easier, but it's definitely not necessary.

Also, someone created a thread in here just a few days ago linking to a youtube video providing key tips of how to raise one's vert off of both one and two feet. The most important key I picked up was being sure to stride toward the basket. A long stride leading into your take-off step will ensure you are lower to the ground when you begin to jump, thus allowing for maximum spring. If we find ourselves approaching the rim upright with a high dribble, that may be something to look at.

Edit: Here is a link to the thread on instant vertical help, created by NotYetGreat. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=143610

wow that helped a lot. I think I am not a 1 foot jumper because I have a lack of hip strength that I need to hyperextend. Anybody know how to improve that strength?

Saw a basketball once Slimdunkin's Avatar

30 standing and 34 running

Quote Originally Posted by supersmashbros
    I would be impress to see a 5 foot 3 person on anyone with less than 6-10 standing reach dunk on 10 foot with a regulation basketball. Now that would require mad hops and I don't think Muggys Bogues could do that!
    Kelly Baggett (author of the Vertical Jump Bible) is 5'9 and can do some serious dunks. 6 inches is a big difference but Baggett doesn't have the longest arms, I bet it's doable.

It would be crazy though.

ITT: NBA level athletes with 35"+ verticals

that said, I don't know my exact number. I'm 6'6 and I can graze the top of my head against the backboard off a running start.

NBA Superstar

This is the worst time of the year for me, the winter doldrums. Right when a lot of indoor basketball is winding down and it's still too cold to get in a good game outside. I can't wait to get those summer legs. I seem to gain a couple of inches on my vertical come summer time, and that is why I like summer.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 03-16-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Banned

I've been noticing my Vertical increasing to the point where i can just about dunk a size 6 ball now where as i was previously only just grabbing rim. I'm pretty sure i know why it's increased, funnily enough i've been playing with my nephew a lot lately on a lowered ring (8ft?) and anything he misses i'll putback so i'm thinking the continuous repetitions have actually increased my vert about an inch. I've never properly measured my vert but i think it's something around 27-28' and i'm 5'11.5

Banned

Just measured my standing reach(7'8") and i can just about grab a 10ft ring so i figure i can reach 10'3" with a run up which would make my running vert about 31inch?

I tested it a couple of months ago.

I had a 26 inch vertical with a 3-5 steps gather, jumping off two feet. I'm a one legged jumper so my max vertical would've been higher. Not really high but I wasn't surprised.