Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
rocketman
Can barely lace up my sneakers

rocketman has an OK reputation so far
Default developing a crossover move

i play point guard and have always been a very good ball handler. however, i have never had a streetball "crossover" move. i really want to develop a comfortable wide crossover, but just cant get it down. i can control the ball fine on the movement (ie: it's not like im losing it when i sweep wide right/left with it) but its my footwork which is totally off.

how do you guys practice your crossover? what is the proper footwork for a wide cross? hard step dribble and then cross? i need tips on how to practice.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
theparade
I hit open layups

theparade has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: developing a crossover move

My go-to move to set up everything, my shot, drive everything.
First if I am going to cross, I plant the right foot first, and then bring it over. If you are good put it between your legs to protect, but don't at first. The whole point of the crossover is to keep your defender off-balance and have him guessing. Sometimes cross back real fast, cross slow then back to the other hand, or fake the cross and go straight to the basket.

Practice crossing over real fast between hands, bring it back slow and then exploding forward, etc. Whenever your defender knows that your go to move is crossover from right to left, switch it up. Always keep your defender GUESSING.
theparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
ZeRo DegReeZ

ZeRo DegReeZ has an OK reputation so far

don't try and learn the crossover to make the defender fall, the way you really learn the crossover is to just try and get to the basket
ZeRo DegReeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

As a tip always remember to flick the ball with your wrist when you crossover, DON'T push it or else the ball will end up out of bounds or going the other way.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
rocketman

rocketman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
As a tip always remember to flick the ball with your wrist when you crossover, DON'T push it or else the ball will end up out of bounds or going the other way.
what do you mean?
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation

No need to learn some flashy stuff, just do hesitations, quick switches of direction and such like that.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
KJones
Banned

KJones has an OK reputation so far

How wide you go with the cross over won't matter when playing quality players. Footwork is what us going to make or break the move. Its very rare that you will actually shake a good player, you need a move that will get him leaning so you can get outside his stance and get him on your hip. If you can sell the footwork the crossover will work no matter how you perform the actual dribble with your upper body.
Want to jump 18 inches higher? Visit our website at:
http://www.program51.com
KJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Trajko

Trajko has an OK reputation so far

Well, if you're right handed take the ball in the right hand. As the opponent comes up, give him a wild step to the left and also (this is crucual) move your head to the left. If he's fooled by that then immediately blow past him on the right by crossing your ball to your right and going in that direction as fast as you can.

Little tip - don't do that very often, or they'll start expecting that from you and won't bite the crossover. A solution to that would be to learn different drills.

I have page where I talk about the crossover. It's at http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/...crossover.html

You can also go to youtube and search some clips from Allen doing the crossover. No one does it better, for sure.

Trajko
Trajko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: