Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else having profound realizations?

It has been proven by Neuroscientists that the brain does not stop maturing in some people until as late as the mid-20's and I fall right into that category. I know some of the experiences that I've had lately, and books that I have read have had an impact, but it's like a whole new world has opened up. I just understand things now... things that I either never cared to, or was incapable of before. All those years spent in front of the TV playing video games/watching movies, I never had to develop coping skills for the world. For the longest time I never took responsibility for stuff, and didn't understand how disrespectful I was of other's space at times. Both of my parents loved me so much that they just couldn't really put their foot down on a lot of things... and both got off on being my protector I feel. Even though I still live with my friends, for the first time I finally feel like I am on my own... although I guess to a degree it's still a support system because I am not having to challenge myself, make new friends, and experience different things.

Also, before, I was easy to set off/throw off balance... being an only child likely effected that. I had nobody else invading my space and testing me. I was free to let my mind wander wherever and not be disturbed... If someone broke my concentration I couldn't stand it and I'd get annoyed/pissed. If someone told me I was doing something wrong I would get pissed because I felt like they were messing with my free will. Instead of trying to understand where the person was coming from, all I could do was focus on my own internal reactions. Now... It's just becoming so obvious. I am becoming more focused on why they are doing what they are doing rather than how I feel about it, and it's changing my life. With that being said, one can't just let everything fly regardless if you understand where another person is coming from... have to respect your own personal space.

I am still not totally at peace with myself internally, and old unconscious behaviors do still show their face at times (especially when I'm tired), but the speed at which I am able to check myself is getting faster and faster, and other unconscious behaviors that I want are working their way in. The unconscious mind is basically a super computer, and the conscious mind (you), are the programmer. It takes time, but one really can program themselves to react however they'd like.

Anyway, I am just really excited about it so I figured I'd share. Life isn't as care free as it was, but as long as one continues to raise their consciousness, it can continue to be extremely fascinating. Anybody else experiencing/experienced such constant transcendence? Based on what I have read it's pretty standard for younger people. Older folks tend to see things that solidify the way they already see things.

Default Re: Anyone else having profound realizations?

I started having revelations and owning up to responsibility that I otherwise used to feel wasn't 'my' problem/fault, or worse yet, bad habits I was entirely oblivious too starting in my early 20's and the process is still continuing and I hope it doesn't stop because I feel I've still got a long long way to go as far as maturing is concerned if that is the right term for it. I'm much more aware of how others perceive my actions now than I used to be, but like I said, I hope the process continues. In your 20's, you start to realize how tough life is and that we're all lucky just to be here, or at least that's how I feel.

Definitely, especially when I'm in the toilet or shower - no joke. I revisit past events in my life, and I begin to see how I have tremendously mishandled many things. I've gone more downhill than up so my current position also helps me value the opportunities I have passed up or simply thrown out the window.

For example, 2 years ago my sister assisted in getting me a job with the same company she works for. She put her reputation on the line for me without question. A month alter I quit without any prior notice or 2 week notice. Fastforward to know, I have decided to get a career in that field again...if I had given that job an honest chance I would be further into accomplishing my goals instead of starting from the bottom - I am literally starting at the bottom with that company, lower than my previous position

Good post, OP. I actually was thinking of making a post exactly like this to get some feedback from people around my age (I'm 28).

I don't know if there's some sort of physical change that happens in your body at this age, or it's a culmination of a new social circle and whatever materials I've read over the past couple years.. But wow, the things I appreciate in life now are a far cry from the past.

I see beauty and serenity in things where I never did before. Recently, I went to the beach. Pacific Northwest beaches aren't exactly warm. They're pretty cold and usually windy. But when driving out there, I noticed how much my mindset had changed. Where I once may have seen a drab looking house with chipping paint, I now see a well-loved home that has been weathered by time and the salt water in the air. I look at it and I think, "There's a house with character. That's a place I'd like to be with the love of my life when we've both grown old."

I've started to realize how important things are to the people around me. Especially children. You can create a memory that will last forever in a child's mind... and most of the time, all you have to do is be there with them in the right way. Just be patient.

I don't really get jealous of people's material possessions. I get jealous when I see people around my age that already have a family. 2 years ago? Doubt I would have cared all that much.

Being a man in modern times is difficult. There is no "now you're a man moment!" You don't go off into the woods to get your first kill and come back a man anymore. So what exactly is a man? I don't know for sure. But I feel like the person I am today is more of a man than the person I was even a year ago.

I suppose I am learning to live in the moment more.

I am not sure if this is what you meant. But it's sort of what my post was going to be about.. and it seemed to fit well enough here.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    Good post, OP. I actually was thinking of making a post exactly like this to get some feedback from people around my age (I'm 28).

I don't know if there's some sort of physical change that happens in your body at this age, or it's a culmination of a new social circle and whatever materials I've read over the past couple years.. But wow, the things I appreciate in life now are a far cry from the past.

I see beauty and serenity in things where I never did before. Recently, I went to the beach. Pacific Northwest beaches aren't exactly warm. They're pretty cold and usually windy. But when driving out there, I noticed how much my mindset had changed. Where I once may have seen a drab looking house with chipping paint, I now see a well-loved home that has been weathered by time and the salt water in the air. I look at it and I think, "There's a house with character. That's a place I'd like to be with the love of my life when we've both grown old."

I've started to realize how important things are to the people around me. Especially children. You can create a memory that will last forever in a child's mind... and most of the time, all you have to do is be there with them in the right way. Just be patient.

I don't really get jealous of people's material possessions. I get jealous when I see people around my age that already have a family. 2 years ago? Doubt I would have cared all that much.

Being a man in modern times is difficult. There is no "now you're a man moment!" You don't go off into the woods to get your first kill and come back a man anymore. So what exactly is a man? I don't know for sure. But I feel like the person I am today is more of a man than the person I was even a year ago.

I am not sure if this is what you meant. But it's sort of what my post was going to be about.. and it seemed to fit well enough here.
    Well said. I just turned 28 last month and I felt that I've finally hit the "I'm a man" moment. I draw my strength internally and realize that there is no one that I should rely on beside myself. It doesn't mean that I've grown cold, etc just that I realize the meaning of relationships that I have. I've gotten past the work/life/etc is tiring/sucks and am happy to wake up each day and push myself to accomplish intrinsically motivated goals.

I actually felt happy/depressed up until I was about 25. I didn't know how not to care. I always wanted more, and compared what I had with others. The past 3 years have been the most successful of my life. I am on pace to graduate my master's with a 3.97, begin my startup company, and have a job lined up after graduation in case the startup doesn't take off. None of these thoughts feel overwhelming to me, and I get better everyday at doing the little things that result in creating a different life.

   

@swaggin,
    not sure which neuroscience studies you have in mind, but i do consistently hear a loose '25 years old' as the physical maturation point for the human body from amongst the medical community. so i wouldn't be surprised if the brain roughly followed the body in that case.

my personal opinion is that apart from physical brain maturation, overall brain development is a choice, and the choice involves lots of work. in this case, there is no particular age cutoff. as long as you're willing to do the hard work, you can keep rewiring yourself.

i mean, on one hand i see people who develop relatively little past their teens... mainly just learning some skills and some new words across the rest of their lives... their character, habits, philosophies pretty much always the same. they're happy with their life preservers and are hanging on for the long run.

OTOH i see older people who are still growing and changing in fits and starts... here and there, up and down... presumably until the day they die. they are brave enough to entertain new religions / systems of thought, read self help books, meditate, get out of their comfort zones, and face reality more directly. and the results can be very impressive.

btw, did you read any of those research studies on consciousness mapping that shklvr posted to your thread a month ago? they're so nerdy and dense that it would help me if someone else here got in to them a little bit, so as to compare notes.

oh, yea... only child here, too. i missed a hell of a lot. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    @swaggin,
    not sure which neuroscience studies you have in mind, but i do consistently hear a loose '25 years old' as the physical maturation point for the human body from amongst the medical community. so i wouldn't be surprised if the brain roughly followed the body in that case.

my personal opinion is that apart from physical brain maturation, overall brain development is a choice, and the choice involves lots of work. in this case, there is no particular age cutoff. as long as you're willing to do the hard work, you can keep rewiring yourself.

i mean, on one hand i see people who develop relatively little past their teens... mainly just learning some skills and some new words across the rest of their lives... their character, habits, philosophies pretty much always the same. they're happy with their life preservers and are hanging on for the long run.

OTOH i see older people who are still growing and changing in fits and starts... here and there, up and down... presumably until the day they die. they are brave enough to entertain new religions / systems of thought, read self help books, meditate, get out of their comfort zones, and face reality more directly. and the results can be very impressive.

btw, did you read any of those research studies on consciousness mapping that shklvr posted to your thread a month ago? they're so nerdy and dense that it would help me if someone else here got in to them a little bit, so as to compare notes.

oh, yea... only child here, too. i missed a hell of a lot. oh well.
    This is exactly right. Brain plasticity - although it diminishes with age - never completely dissipates; it just gets harder to change the older you get. This is because, over time, neural connections are reinforced and get stronger, meaning they are harder to break. And to radically change your thinking, neural connections have to be broken and others have to be made. Hence why the older people get, the harder it is for them to change, the more 'stuck in their ways' they are etc.

I haven't seen it summed up better than this:

'People over forty can seldom be permanently convinced of anything. At eighteen our convictions are hills from which we look; at forty-five they are caves in which we hide.' (Fitzgerald)

@OP - Congrats, i had a similar dramatic change at the end of my teenage years, accompanied by a general feeling of contrition at the masses of free-time wasted in my teens (when you actually had as much as you could want). Then i went to university and became disillusioned by just how poor higher education really was, and how mediocre 90% of those who teach at that level are. As Oscar Wilde said (may be paraphrase): 'In England, those who can't learn, teach.'

What sort of books have you been reading may i ask?

Magic Johnson

It's called growing up. You meet people and go through experiences that fundamentally change you. You realize how difficult life is and how lucky you are to have what you have. Who you surround yourself with, as well as your family and friends, help to define your values and what type of person you want to be, as well as where you want to go in the future. I don't know, you just change. A lot of my college friends say they hate growing up and having more responsibilities, but honestly, I love it.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

aren't you the dude that was in love with his best friend's girl?

what ever came of that? i didn't follow the thread to its conclusion but was interested

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reppy

IMO a "man" today is someone that doesn't have to rely on anyone but himself...and *if* that man has a wife and kids he is capable of providing and caring for them as well.

I'm in my mid 30s and I still have friends that rely on their parents to get by...they still haven't "grown up"...they still don't have the simple tools needed to just pay bills every day on their own...still act like they are college kids who just want to have fun...and it's sad.

I think that is growing problem in society today..."adult-children"

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    IMO a "man" today is someone that doesn't have to rely on anyone but himself...and *if* that man has a wife and kids he is capable of providing and caring for them as well.

I'm in my mid 30s and I still have friends that rely on their parents to get by...they still haven't "grown up"...they still don't have the simple tools needed to just pay bills every day on their own...still act like they are college kids who just want to have fun...and it's sad.

I think that is growing problem in society today..."adult-children"
    there's higher population density now and less opportunity abound, for a long time americans lived in according to the "norm" where you reached 18 and moved out when in actuality that's the exception in the vast majority of the world. financial independence is going to be harder and harder to attain as time goes on, american exceptionalism is becoming increasingly fleeting.

tldr

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Unlike you guys I'm not quite there yet. I'm 22 years old, and I'm still at the stage where I'm really uncertain about a lot of things in my life. What's important to me, where I want to be in 10 years.. I honestly don't know. Right now I'm studying Business at the university but I'm having a difficult time motivating myself sometimes because I don't know what I'm doing it for.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theoo
    tldr
    This is the first post of yours with no grammatical errors. Congrats.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturn
    Unlike you guys I'm not quite there yet. I'm 22 years old, and I'm still at the stage where I'm really uncertain about a lot of things in my life. What's important to me, where I want to be in 10 years.. I honestly don't know. Right now I'm studying Business at the university but I'm having a difficult time motivating myself sometimes because I don't know what I'm doing it for.
    Im 21 and the situation is exactly the same. Even studies.
    Im thinking its because Im really immature for my age. Like really immature. I always find fascinating when other guys are studying for exams for like 10+ hours.. and when you think about Im the stupid one for not doing it. Its way more useful than whatever Im doing then.