Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Rakim is only one year older than Jay-Z, yet he hasn't been relevant in 20 years

Something seems wrong with this picture.

While Rakim was dominating the rap scene in the late 80s' and early 90s', J-Zee was Jaz-O's flunkie. By the time J-Zee started to make a name for himself, Rakim was still around releasing top 5 billboard albums in 1997.

Then, he just suddenly disappeared ...

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: Rakim is only one year older than Jay-Z, yet he hasn't been relevant in 20 years

yeah and he constantly gets cred as the greatest of all time or at least top-5 all time...

great he influenced a lot of rap that came after him but he himself didn't do nearly as much as others...

perhaps the most overrated rapper of all time

Default Re: Rakim is only one year older than Jay-Z, yet he hasn't been relevant in 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    No pvssy tonight, Kizzle?
    Probably not, I ain't even mad though.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    yeah and he constantly gets cred as the greatest of all time or at least top-5 all time...

great he influenced a lot of rap that came after him but he himself didn't do nearly as much as others...

You just said he influenced a lot but didn't do as much as other ... doesn't influencing mean he did his part, or are you speaking on something else?

How is he overrated?

Bay Areaaaaaaaaaaa! DavisWarriorsFan's Avatar

You sir, are an idiot.

he did his part...of course

he is overrated to me because he is constantly rated #1 overall by many others

if I made a top-50 list, I think Rakim would be top-20...not top-10

I think there are at least 10 other rappers did more than him...

Who ranks him #1, most have either he RIP bros, Biggie or Pac or Jay-Z or Nas. You rarely see a list with Rakim ranked #1.

What do you mean by doing more, explain please?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Who ranks him #1, most have either he RIP bros, Biggie or Pac or Jay-Z or Nas. You rarely see a list with Rakim ranked #1.

What do you mean by doing more, explain please?
    I've seen him ranked #1 several times...I think BET did a top-100 countdown and he was #1 overall a few years back...(or maybe MTV idk)

if he isn't #1 he is at least in most top-5 lists...don't you agree?

he is constantly rated VERY HIGH...yet he wasn't relevant for very long, like you said

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

His rapping from the 80s taken from that era is still better than most rapper's shit TODAY!

When we take into account how revolutionary his style was, it only enhances his legacy. He is the Beatles/Dylan of hip hop.

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

He came from the Golden Era of hip-hop. How many rappers from that era are still around?

Also, rappers owning record labels didn't become a trend until 1998-ish and many rappers have benefited a lot from that especially Jay-Z. It was unheard of back then. Hammer didn't even owned a record label or became an executive, yet he was labeled as a sell-out for being too mainstream and family-friendly.

A lot of rappers who sticks around for 10+ years do it on multiple layers of media. Not just hip-hop/rap alone. Movies, clothing, advertisements and of course owning a record label. Those who can't multitask into other fields of entertainment disappear.

It's all about branding yourself in hip-hop.
    Last edited by AK47DR91; 11-10-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    His rapping from the 80s taken from that era is still better than most rapper's shit TODAY!

When we take into account how revolutionary his style was, it only enhances his legacy. He is the Beatles/Dylan of hip hop.
    agreed

so he is top-20

I've seen him ranked #1 several times...I think BET did a top-100 countdown and he was #1 overall a few years back...(or maybe MTV idk)

if he isn't #1 he is at least in most top-5 lists...don't you agree?

he is constantly rated VERY HIGH...yet he wasn't relevant for very long, like you said
    That's my question, why is that? That could go for Big Daddy Kane, Heavy D, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, ect. Something happened between 92-94.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47DR91
    He came from the Golden Era of hip-hop. How many rappers from that era are still around?

Also, rappers owning record labels didn't become a trend until 1998-ish and many rappers have benefited a lot from that especially Jay-Z. It was unheard of back then. Hammer didn't even owned a record label or became an executive, yet he was labeled as a sell-out for being too mainstream and family-friendly.
    Master P, E-40, Eazy-E, and a few others were label heads before Jay-Z.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47DR91
    He came from the Golden Era of hip-hop.[COLOR="Red"] How many rappers from that era are still around?[/COLOR]

Cube...Dre

to me the Golden Era was the early 90s though...and I am in my mid 30s...I lived through ALL OF IT

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    That's my question, why is that? That could go for Big Daddy Kane, Heavy D, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, ect. Something happened between 92-94.
    BDK gets rated high as hell too on lists...not those othes so much

something happened?...yeah, gangsta rap happened

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Cube...Dre

to me the Golden Era was the early 90s though...and I am in my mid 30s...I lived through ALL OF IT
    Cube = movies keep him around

Dre = record label owner and producer

I think the first Golden Era was from 1986-1991 before the "Gangsta Rap" boom. You had the Beasties, Run DMC, Eric B & Rakim and a few others.