Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default How much damage could you do to this teams title chances?

Lets say some idiotic owner demanded his GM sign you and play you at the 2....34 minutes a game. Doesn't have to be 34 nightly...but if it doesn't average 34 at seasons end hes firing the entire coaching/front office staff. Unreasonable? Of course. We aren't trying to present a realistic situation. Anyway....this is the team:

Curry, Westbrook, or Paul your choice. Pick the one you feel the best about playing with.

You. 34 minutes a night.

Durant(healthy)

Anthony Davis

Deandre Jordan

Bench:

Nene
    Mike Dunleavy
    Bradley Beal
    CJ Watson
    Kirk Hinrich
    James Jones
    Amir Johnson

Coach is Mike Budenholzer. Team stays healthy. Plays in the east in place of the Magic. Pick a point to run with...you play 34 minutes a night regular season and playoffs.

Could they win it all with you at the 2?

You have a month to get into shape and work out with the team.
    Im wondering how much negative impact you suspect you would have.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Default Re: How much damage could you do to this teams title chances?

That starting 5 is arguably the Western Conference Allstar Team this year.

Damn I play 34 minutes? I'm a good shooter so I can spot up and force teams to cover me, but I ain't beating an NBA player off the dribble unless it's a flat footed slow footed defender That being said, I'm 5'9... so I would need to play zone. I would need Westbrook to cover the opposing best perimeter scorer because I would get manhandled. I would have everyone on ISH watching our games giving me the Mario Chalmers treatment in case I miss 2 straight 3 pointers But I don't think I'd be the reason we didn't win it all. I can shoot if I am a spot up shooter. They call me Reggie at my park... shitty to give a Knicks fan that nickname But poor Beal... to get way less mins than a scrub off the streets

We would win championships and if we didn't? We would have Lebron stans blaming KD or AD anyway.

ill take steph as my point guard

id never be able to extend my range out to nba 3pt line, id be shooting 18 footers. im 5'10, and my release isnt particularly quick. guards defending me could collapse into the lane to play help defense, and still get out to contest my shot, so i would kill spacing. having one terrible shooter, that defenses can ignore can really kill a team's spacing especially in the playoffs (the thunder with roberson/sefolosha the last few years), and mkae it really difficult for scorers.

im a decent defender, but im sure in the nba scrubs would light me up.

my ball handling and passing would be ok, obviously terrible for an nba player, but a relative strength of my game.

in the playoffs with teams game planning, they'd be able to really focus on ignoring me on offense (like bogut ignoring tony allen this year) and going after me on defense.

i think we'd make it to the conference finals and lose to the cavs.
    Last edited by chips93; 09-02-2015 at 02:26 PM.

How can I play 34 minutes a game when I foul out every game?

Dont see how hard it could be to be Steve Kerr sitting there in the corner being birdfed wideopen shots.... i honestly think i could it and i am a pretty good shooter, everybody here knows my legendary workout/shooting regiment lol ... still think we win the chip
    Last edited by pauk; 09-02-2015 at 02:29 PM.

I'd honestly go with Curry because his shooting could (not even close to fully) make up for the negative effect I'd have on the team's offense. Plus Paul or Westbrook might murder me before the season even ends. That and Curry/Durant/Davis is a trio that's so crazy to think about happening from an offensive/efficiency standpoint even if I'd be personally ruining any potential it could really have.

My plan to get ready that wouldn't even matter: I'd stay in a gym day and night and try to become as good a corner shooter as I could. This is beyond "stepping on toes" or something there's literally no reason for me to even be dribbling the ball or attempting to run the offense. Bud would show me sets and where to be and I'd of course be involved in setting screens but that should be the extent of it.

I honestly think anybody's worst damage here would be on defense. That team has Durant, Davis and Curry in my scenario in the starting lineup. Even with me shrinking the floor they'll still do damage offensively. But me in the backcourt with the way the game is so perimeter oriented today is going to get eaten alive on defense and mainly I'd be taking on a lot of screens or posts ups or any variety of things until I'm worn down (most people here wouldn't make the All-star break let's be honest a month of training isn't close to enough time). Durant/Davis/Jordan frontcourt is actually really strong defensively but I'm probably gonna wear down myself (and Curry in the process since he'd be taking the tougher assignments) to a point where those guys are flying all over the place to make up for my futile efforts.

I feel like it's a copout but I don't think I'd make the season. And it's probably a slight ego thing but I guess we'd be in playoff contention whenever I collapsed from exhaustion for the fifth time during a game and got pulled for good.
    Last edited by Natureland; 09-02-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Everyone saying they're a good shooter would be lucky to hit 15 percent from 3 on wide open shots... whoever faced you would need to be double teamed, if not they're getting 80 points.

No team is winning chit with some unathletic 5 foot 10 scrub playing 34 mins a game.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    Everyone saying they're a good shooter would be lucky to hit 15 percent from 3 on wide open shots... whoever faced you would need to be double teamed, if not they're getting 80 points.

No team is winning chit with some unathletic 5 foot 10 scrub playing 34 mins a game.
    The truth hurts.

I`d get injured after three games at my age.
    But, say I was 25. Okay. At 6-4 w/shoes and 195 pounds I`d have okayish size. I could spot up from up til 20 feet or go inside if forced to shoot. But I`m a good passer (not NBA level doe). I`d get killed on defence by quicker guys.
    I`d hurt the team badly, as we all would have. But we`d make the play offs.

Well most PGs would tower over me (SGs even more so) so I'm guessing my team would not do very well. I can pass nicely and the other team wouldn't be able to leave me COMPLETELY open though. But wtf would I do on defense lol

I would have to get back into playing shape. I played Division 2 ball during the early 2000s and the only reason I didn't get any Division 1 offers was I suffered a ruptured spinal ligament my senior year of high school. I honestly don't think it affected my game but I never got a shot to prove it at the pros. There's no doubt in my mind that if I got a full offseason to train and get into the best shape of my life I could easily be a replacement level NBA player for 35 minutes a game.

I would want CP3 because he's the best passer of the bunch, which means easier buckets for me and the best defender of the bunch (cover my behind).

It would be a massacre every night with me playing the 2. I've said this before and i'll say it again, being in the NBA isn't about talent, but more about winning the genetic lottery and being a certain height and having the right athleticism. When you are that tall and that athletic, every move you make looks impressive. But shrink these same players down to say 5'8" and average athleticism and the same moves these guys make wouldn't work.

When you have two players with very similar skillsets, the player with the superior athleticism will win out almost every time.

College superstar

There is an abject disconnect here. When David Lee comes into the game the opposition does nothing but attack him in PnRs. And despite impressive athleticism and an imposing 6'10" frame he gets destroyed. Do you know what you all would look like against an elite team in the PnR? It would be a travesty. Almost no one here could make a suitable percentage of open shots (which wouldn't look so open when 6'8" dudes are running at you) so it would be 4 on 5 on the other end too.

I am 6'6", played college basketball, was a great shooter and thats not even in the ballpark of what we need to avoid getting destroyed. If you 5' nothing" think you would win you have no idea what you are dealing with.

My main focus would be to find open guys on offense, but I know I would get torched on defense, so I would have to go with Westbrook to make up for my lack of defense. I'm 6'6, 220, and of course it's easy for me to drive and rebound over everyone at the gym because I'm taller than most people I play with, but in the NBA I would have to adjust my whole game and work on my ball handling skills and defense for that 1 month time period. I don't see me contributing to this team at all lol
    Last edited by Q.E.C; 09-02-2015 at 03:48 PM.