Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Kevin Garnett wants to use his $327 million to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves

I'm pretty sure KG made way over 500 million from salaries + endorsements + shoe lines (he is even huge in China), etc. How much of it remains - we obviously cant know, but if his investments paid off, he might still have 300+ mln. at the best, 100+ mln. at the least.

Due to bloated team prices, I doubt KG can become a majority owner straight up, hence he would be "the face" of the group which buys the team.

However, some saying KG could never become a majority owner.. Nothing is impossible, as one guy said In due course of time KG migh buy out smaller investors, especially if NBA teams crashes in value for some reason.

Whats more surprising to me, is that KG picks Minny to spend the most of the rest of his life there, not exactly great place to live for a rich guy. I pictured him staying in LA
    Last edited by Harison; 02-24-2015 at 03:42 AM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Kevin Garnett wants to use his $327 million to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    I mean look at Jay Z. He's worth way more than KG, and he was well publicized as a part owner of the Nets. Then it came out he was actually like a .05% owner.

When you got people like Geffen and Oprah losing out on bids, it's pretty hard to see KG ever being the majority owner of an NBA franchise.
    Owning teams in NY and LA is vastly a different story than Minny. JZ could do Atlanta as he knows two previous majority owners quite well, Oprah wouldn't have that problem in Georgia either. In the smaller markets - and ATL is a much bigger market than Minny. In NY you have to years as a well connected person with other movers and shakers here. JZ didn't have the money or connections to compete. The old owner of the Nets is a major developer - most NY sports teams are owned by real estate developers, that got this Russian guy aboard because he just had the capitol. He's having problems because he isn't connected with the Mayor and local institutions. He will sell in a short time.

But a lot things in smaller markets are about being in the right place at the right time if you got the right connections. They aren't held to the same standards and connections are more important than the other standards.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Whats more surprising to me, is that KG picks Minny to spend the most of the rest of his life there, not exactly great place to live for a rich guy. I pictured him staying in LA
    A Russian guy owns the Nets and he's rarely in the States. KG isn't going to live there. He might, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    A Russian guy owns the Nets and he's rarely in the States. KG isn't going to live there. He might, but I doubt it.
    Completely different cases. Proki same as Balmer and some others are just rich guys for whom NBA team is just one of many investments.

KG would definitely be more hands on, something like MJ or Cuban.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Completely different cases. Proki same as Balmer and some others are just rich guys for whom NBA team is just one of many investments.

KG would definitely be more hands on, something like MJ or Cuban.
    But there is no mandate to live there. You have a place there sure. You go there perhaps for the longer homestands. You care about your product but you still have family, as in KGs situation, and where they want their lively hood. I hear what you are saying as he is intense but he's all family from what I hear.

Does Cuban have a family??? I don't know but I doubt it. MJ isn't at a lot of his home games but he grew up in NC and was living there without the team. Its a warm climate. It would be truly weird if KG went there and had the kids enrolled in schools up there.

This is only my speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Kg has had a house in Minnesota his entire nba career, even after he got traded. Kg loves it here. Kg is a different kind of person.he is loyal. Since he saw that Glen Taylor, flip saunders and the entire state of Minnesota took a chance in him and believed in him, he showed that same love back. Kg is amazing.