Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213
    Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Default Re: Hendrix/Clapton/Santana

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    By talent I refer primarily to level of technical skill, and what he is capable of doing, not only on the guitar, but on multiple instruments, and in multiple musical genres.
    I had a feeling you were referring to technical skill only, and that's fine. I won't fight you there.

However, to me, 'talent' encompasses a lot more than how well/fast/cleanly you can play notes, although I admit this has a definite role in how a guitarist is evaluated. Hendrix, while not the most technically skilled of all time, actually was doing things technically that most people hadn't even thought of. Listen to a song like "Angel" and how he uses his thumb and fingers to basically play rhythm and lead guitar simultaneously. Now everyone and their dog uses their thumb when playing, and that sort of pattern is basically commonplace. That is a really small example, but it ties in with how innovative/creative, original, and good of a songwriter Hendrix was. Could improvise with the best of them too. So to me, when everything is considered, most guys can't hold a candle to Jimi as the whole meal deal, Buckethead included.
    Last edited by johndeeregreen; 11-25-2011 at 04:46 PM.

To each their own I guess. I think if I were a musician and another wanted to cover one of my songs I would take it as a major compliment. I also think the cover of Purple Haze was very well-done. :shrug:
    To me, there is no reason to shred all over it. By doing so you completely take the emotion out of two very emotionally charged Hendrix tunes (Machine Gun and Purple Haze...hell, ALL of his stuff, really) and thus really negate the purpose of paying him tribute. That's my main problem with guys with this out-of-this world technical skill, is that playing guitar to them is more about showcasing to the world how fast and accurate they can play than about creating something new and beautiful. I'm not saying they can't coexist - look at Randy Rhoads, for instance. But it doesn't happen very often.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    To me, there is no reason to shred all over it. By doing so you completely take the emotion out of two very emotionally charged Hendrix tunes (Machine Gun and Purple Haze...hell, ALL of his stuff, really) and thus really negate the purpose of paying him tribute. That's my main problem with guys with this out-of-this world technical skill, is that playing guitar to them is more about showcasing to the world how fast and accurate they can play than about creating something new and beautiful. I'm not saying they can't coexist - look at Randy Rhoads, for instance. But it doesn't happen very often.
    I don't disagree with most you've said here re: Hendrix. Nor does Buckethead for that matter; he sites him as one of his major influences, and has great respect for him.

But, as I've stated and shown evidence of repeatedly, Buckethead is about more than just playing fast. Apparently you didn't listen to any of his emotional songs I posted.

Negging me doesn't make you right, btw. If the neg wasn't from you then apologies, and agree to disagree.

Posrep also sent your way.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 11-25-2011 at 06:13 PM.

But, as I've stated and shown evidence of repeatedly, Buckethead is about more than just playing fast. Apparently you didn't listen to any of his emotional songs I posted.
    I listened, but I didn't hear anything that really impressed me on a creative level whatsoever. It wasn't necessarily bad, it just wasn't anything that stood out to me.

Negging me doesn't make you right, btw. If the neg wasn't from you then apologies, and agree to disagree.
    I don't neg anyone without putting my name on it.

I listened, but I didn't hear anything that really impressed me on a creative level whatsoever. It wasn't necessarily bad, it just wasn't anything that stood out to me.
    I guess Bootsy, Primus, System of a down, G&R, Ozzy, and the countless others who've tried to hire him as their guitarist are all crazy.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 11-25-2011 at 07:00 PM.

I guess Bootsy, Primus, System of a down, G&R, Ozzy, and the countless others who've tried to hire him as their guitarist are all crazy.
    There is no correlation whatsoever between this post and what I've said. Being sought after to play someone else's songs has no bearing on how original and innovative you are as a songwriter.

Good High School Starter hammer2010's Avatar

There is no correlation whatsoever between this post and what I've said. Being sought after to play someone else's songs has no bearing on how original and innovative you are as a songwriter.
    Why are you hiding b*tch?

I was referencing your comment on his level of creativity, which is off the charts, quite obviously. You are either deaf, dumb, or one of those I mentioned earlier who can't get past the mask, etc, and write him off as a gimmick.

p.s. Take your negs and shove 'em!

I was referencing your comment on his level of creativity, which is off the charts, quite obviously. You are either deaf, dumb, or one of those I mentioned earlier who can't get past the mask, etc, and write him off as a gimmick.

p.s. Take your negs and shove 'em!
    Translation: You don't see it my way, so you're deaf or dumb. Compelling argument. And I'll repeat: being asked to play songs someone else wrote doesn't speak to your level of creativity. That makes no sense. Try to think about that for a second.

BTW, up to this point I haven't negged you. It just seems a whole bunch of people here think you're full of shit.
    Last edited by johndeeregreen; 11-26-2011 at 03:00 PM.